MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just joined the M+P Broken Striker Club.I bought a new M+P Thrus.Fired 2 magazines of ammo.Dry fired it probably 200 times and now the striker is broken.MPW serial # range.I will call Smith monday morning.I don't know if any of the vendors on this site have them in stock.If you do please let me know.Thanks. Smith claims you can dry fire their pistol all you want.I guess that doesn't apply to the M+P.Glad I found out now, my faith in the pistol as a carry gun is not very good at this point.I own other S+Ws,Berettas and 1911s of different makes and dry fire them all without problems.I was hoping the M+P would be as dependable as my PC 5906 or even my police trade in 5906 but it doesn't look like that will be the case.Just had to vent a little now that I have a new M+P paper weight.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
S&W will replace it at no charge to you.

Where exactly did the striker break? Do you have a picture?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It doesn't matter if they do or not.It shouldn't have broken in the first place.They have done warrenty work for me in the past but not on anything with less than a box of ammo through it.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
At least you found the weak part early.

I know it's frustrating; but give S&W the chance to make it right.

Where exactly did the striker break? Do you have a picture?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hademall FYI It wasn't my Beretta that broke a firing pin.And FYI direct from the S+W web site.

: Can I dry fire my Smith & Wesson?

A: Yes, except for the .22 caliber pistols which includes models 22A, 22S, 422, 2206, 2214, 2213 and 41.

·
Registered
88 Posts
HadEmAll said:
Just FYI, the manuals for both my Beretta 92 and PX4 say not to dry fire without snap caps.

Hammer fired pistols should NOT be dry fired without snap caps. Striker fired pistols are OK to dry fire without snap caps.

The Guinea

·
Registered
171 Posts
guinea said:
[quote name='HadEmAll']Just FYI, the manuals for both my Beretta 92 and PX4 say not to dry fire without snap caps.

Hammer fired pistols should NOT be dry fired without snap caps. Striker fired pistols are OK to dry fire without snap caps.

The Guinea[/quote]

How is it that it broke then?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update called Smith and Wesson this morning.What a joke said they would send me a striker.But then said they were on backorder didn't know when I would get it.Also said not to dry fire a lot.He said don't sit there and dry fire 100 times a day and you should be ok.If you don't have a spare striker be careful dryfiring.On the upside I stole the striker out of my wifes M+P.
I hope someone in the aftermarket comes up with a better striker soon.

·
Registered
171 Posts
BILLG said:
Update called Smith and Wesson this morning.What a joke said they would send me a striker.But then said they were on backorder didn't know when I would get it.Also said not to dry fire a lot.He said don't sit there and dry fire 100 times a day and you should be ok.If you don't have a spare striker be careful dryfiring.On the upside I stole the striker out of my wifes M+P.
I hope someone in the aftermarket comes up with a better striker soon.

Are you serious? Or did he say not to dry fire "if w/o a snap cap"?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That was pretty much a quote from him.He said if you dry fire sparingly and don't sit down and do 100 repatitions a night you should be ok.No mention of a snap cap.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Centerfire pistols, whether hammer- or striker-fired, are not designed for excessive dry-fire. While you can certainly do it and never see a problem, you are increasing the odds of causing malfunctions or parts breakage.

Using a snap cap (which is not the same as a dummy round ... a snap cap has a cushioned striking surface in place of a primer specifically to reduce wear when dry-firing) will drastically reduce or even eliminate the wear associated with dry-firing.

Another option is to keep a spare strike assembly and firing pin block assembly on hand. Inspect your slide internals regularly and replace them as soon as you see unusual wear. Since snap caps wear out and cost money, replacing the striker and firing pin block assemblies may actually be the less expensive option.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I couldn't find online stores offering the firing pin block assembly, while the striker assembly is out of stock. Any suggestions where I could find them? Do they ship these internationally? Thanks.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
UPDATE:Rob from S+W customer service called me this morning,and said they found me a striker and will be sending it out today.I should have it no later than Monday.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Instead of including 3 magazines with the MP, perhaps S&W should include 3 strikers with each new gun. These failures should NOT be happening. They need to re-design these parts that are failing prematurely and make them available to everyone who owns one. Wait a minute....that would be admitting they have some problems...........not gonna happen!

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I don't remember where i heard or read this but i was under the impression that earlier M&P's had an issue with breaking strikers but it had been fixed by S&W..can anyone confirm that newer M&P's are less likely to have this issue?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts