MP-Pistol Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
texagun said:
Apparently not. The pistol in this thread was recently purchased and had a very late serial number (MPW).

So because one person reports having the problem, you declare it an ongoing issue that S&W is trying to cover up?

Do you honestly think that every single part for every single model from every single manufacturer is always going to be perfect, and that if there is a problem in one gun that means it's a systemic problem across the whole product line???

Smith did have a problem with their strikers. It was well reported and by all accounts addressed. That the OP had his break is certainly not acceptable, but neither does it mean there is some kind of widespread disaster at S&W.

·
Registered
178 Posts
ToddG said:
[quote name='texagun']Apparently not. The pistol in this thread was recently purchased and had a very late serial number (MPW).

So because one person reports having the problem, you declare it an ongoing issue that S&W is trying to cover up?

Do you honestly think that every single part for every single model from every single manufacturer is always going to be perfect, and that if there is a problem in one gun that means it's a systemic problem across the whole product line???

Smith did have a problem with their strikers. It was well reported and by all accounts addressed. That the OP had his break is certainly not acceptable, but neither does it mean there is some kind of widespread disaster at S&W.[/quote]

Relax Todd. Take your medication and take it easy. Nobody declared there was a disaster at S&W. It was simply pointed out that there are still strikers that are breaking so obviously there is a problem with some of them.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Most parts in a handgun are hardened metals. During the heat treating process there are stresses set into the material. It is a fine line between hard enough to do the particular job like smacking a primer and not peening vs. so hard that it becomes brittle.

When parts like the striker are batch heat treated there can be some variations in how the metal reacts to the heat and quenching. Sometimes making one small area of the part much harder than it should be. There are also variations in the initial manufacturing of the raw material where there is an area where the internal structure of the metal in a specific spot is different or even a void of material.

S&W has no control of that part of the processing and in my 30+ years in machining and tool making I have had it happen in parts with a small cross section that they failed even though everything was done correctly. The failures usually show right away as happened to BillG.

The striker actually is subjected to many more G's than most would think. IMO a striker that lasts for a few hundred rounds will last for a very very long time. If there is going to be a problem it should happen early in it's life.

Of the thousands of M&P's sold thus far I have only heard of a few failures since S&W adressed the issue with either changing the heat treating process or the metal or both. I think they are doing quite well on fixing issues with these inovative guns.

I dry fire my 3 quite a lot with no issue and I don't expect to have one now that hey have so many cycles on them. Sorry to hear it happened to Bill but I don't see it as an area of concern.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
texagun said:
Relax Todd. Take your medication and take it easy. Nobody declared there was a disaster at S&W. It was simply pointed out that there are still strikers that are breaking so obviously there is a problem with some of them.

I'm not sure what your childish comment is supposed to add to the post. But let me refresh your memory:

Steelshooter asked if the striker breakage issue was less likely to occur with newer guns compared to the original vintage which had fairly well-known and common striker breakage.

Your answer was "Apparently not." I can provide a screen shot if you need it.
The implication, quite clearly, was that the problem is still around and as common as it was with those early production guns. This is obviously false.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts