MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question for those that had a striker break in their M&P.

Several people have asked me about disassembling the M&P without using the sear disconnect. You can get the slide off without pushing the sear disconnect down. You just lower the slide until it stops, pull the trigger, and the slide will come off.

I have done this a few times, but it sounds like the striker is hitting harder than with a normal dry fire. Therefore, I don't do this. Now I'm wondering if this might be contributing to broken strikers.

It shouldn't, but it might be.

So my question is: If you have had a broken striker, have you ever disassembled your M&P without using the sear disconnect???

·
Registered
137 Posts
I take my MP9 apart per the instructions. I don't feel it a big issue to push down the sear lever with the grip tool, a knife, or a pen. I haven't tried pulling the trigger method and now I'm glad I haven't . Thanks for the heads up.

Ciao,

Effy

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ncshooter said:
I have and I'm with you, it just doesn't feel right. I won't be doing it with my replacement striker.

Are you saying you had a broken striker sometime after disassembling without using the sear disconnect?

·
Registered
19 Posts
YukonGlocker said:
[quote name='ncshooter']I have and I'm with you, it just doesn't feel right. I won't be doing it with my replacement striker.

Are you saying you had a broken striker sometime after disassembling without using the sear disconnect?[/quote]

Yes.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here are the members that have posted that they had a striker break.(other than raz-0 and ncshooter)

DANO

DanGTG

ArnisAndyz

Bryan W

zen_grasshopper

Graybush

I will send these guys a PM and see if they will reply here.

·
Registered
154 Posts
yes - i have disassembled using both methods but more times without using the sear disconnect. I haven't had any more issues -YET- with my replacement striker but I'm using snap caps now and still dryfiring a lot. My M&P is being used soley as a competition gun and I plan to beat it to death this year -

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have had two broken strikers. The first not using a snap cap, the second while using a snap cap. The strikers broke in different places. The one that broke with the snap cap broke where the tip goes through the FP hole. The tip seemed to be deformed from hitting the snap cap.

I sent both strikers back to S&W for their evaluation.

I removed both the mag safety and the sear disconnect the first few day after I got the pistol. I am sure that other pistols that do not use the sear disconnect for take down and don't suffer this delima.

Also the striker would more likely be affected at the rear where the sear contacts.

I am disappointed that S&W has not felt it necessary to post information regarding this issue. Instead we are all sitting around guessing.

GB

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I find it interesting that everyone that has had a broken striker, except raz-0, has disassembled without the sear disconnect.

I find it very interesting that Graybush has had 2 broken strikers, and he has removed the sear disconnect completely.

Graybush, other pistols, that don't use a sear disconnect for takedown, have different trigger assemblies than the M&P. I'm not saying you are wrong for disassembling this way. I do know that the striker falls differently during this kind of takedown, than with a normal dry fire.

The striker should be strong enough to handle this, but it might not be. I have a Glock armorer's video that says specifically to not pull the striker all the way back, and let it fall on it's own. And when you disassemble the M&P without the sear disconnect, maybe the striker is being pulled too far back.

I hope everyone else that had a striker break will post in this thread. When this thread is finished I will print it out and send it to S&W.

Or maybe I should just get on a mill and lathe and make some strikers that won't break...

·
Registered
514 Posts
I called S&W customer service and asked them if Revision M pistols were having issues with broken strikers. I also asked them if I needed to send my weapon in order to get the Revision N "updates". Since it is my carry pistol I wanted to make sure that my striker wouldn't break when I need it the most. They mentioned that a lot of the handguns they get back with broken strikers have had a trigger job done to them. They are trying to determine if that is the cause and they will post their findings on the S&W website. Anyone think differently?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I disassembled it twice without using the sear disconnect lever, and disassembled twice with the lever. I only took it apart four times. I dry fired it tens of thousands of times.

If you don't use the sear disconnect lever the gun disassembles just like a Springfield XD. I don't pay much attention to the XD but I don't think that they have had too many problems with broken strikers. I know very well that anything mechanical can and will break, but there are too many reports of broken strikers with the M&P so I sold mine off. I think the M&P is a nice pistol, it fits the hand very well, but I think that S&W has to figure out what is wrong with the strikers. Plastic pistols don't do much for me anyway so I don't see it as a big loss.

Jon

·
Registered
53 Posts
I broke 2 strikers also. I am almost certain for the first, I took the slide off as per instructions - with the disconnect lever. I didn't even know about the other technique until I saw someone do it when while showing me the internals - and that was an S&W employee.

I am be wrong though. I don't remember exactly when I started using the trigger pull technique. The second was certainly always disassembled using the trigger pull technique.

I am careful though, to always line up the slide to frame to be the same as during normal fire or with the slide slightly back. If this indeed causes the striker to weaken, there is still a problem with it. As for the trigger job theory, likewise, if adjustments to the sear cause a striker to break, there is a problem.

I am beginning to believe the issue may be inconsistent quality of the part - I bet if they look hard at the broken strikers, there will be an issue with brittleness, hardness or something like that. That's a hard one to admit because they have to say: "Hey... we have no idea how strong the parts in any of the M&Ps are. Good luck!" Where if there is a design change, that is an easier pill to swallow.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I take mine down using the sear disconnect and I've recently started dry firing. Maybe I'll be the lucky one who breaks their striker from dry firing and "proper" disassembly. Mine is a B serial number and a M frame revision, in case that matters

·
Registered
405 Posts
It's been posted before I'm almost certain that you're not supposed to take it apart by pulling the trigger rather than taking down the lever...

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you disassemble without using the sear disconnect, one precaution is necessary.

You lock the slide open, flip the takedown lever down, and lower the slide.

At this point, look at the rear of the slide. You will see that the slide is resting further forward than it normally rests.

Be sure to pull the slide backwards to it's normal resting point BEFORE you pull the trigger.

Then the slide will slide off the frame.

·
Registered
7 Posts
YukonGlocker said:
If you disassemble without using the sear disconnect, one precaution is necessary.

You lock the slide open, flip the takedown lever down, and lower the slide.

At this point, look at the rear of the slide. You will see that the slide is resting further forward than it normally rests.

Be sure to pull the slide backwards to it's normal resting point BEFORE you pull the trigger.

Then the slide will slide off the frame.

I've notice that also. And if you pull the slide backwards a little bit more beyond the normal resting point and pull the trigger, the striker hardly move at all. It just make a click sound and the slide will come off.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That's what I do Sonny. I pull the slide back a little further than the normal resting point.

This places less stress on the striker than a normal dry-fire.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts