MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was sitting around watching the toob and doing some occasional dry-firing. Suddenly, the gun wouldn't "fire" anymore. I took the slide off and the tail of the striker was broken. I knew that this had occurred on earlier versions but didn't expect it on my MPP**** serial numbered sample. This sucks.

More fodder for the Glock folks I'm afraid.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I didn't disassemble it any further as I wanted to send it to the factory just as it is.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Thank you.

If you call S&W, they might send you a new striker.

Sometimes they will just ship a new striker; sometimes they require the gun to be shipped back to them.

Either way, they will take care of it.

·
Registered
405 Posts
texagun said:
Looks like Snap-Caps would be a good idea to use with these guns, regardless what S&W says in the manual.

Is it common they break on the M&P or something?? I haven't dry fired mine but have been hearing a lot that dry firing would be a good thing to start doing to help keep things on point.. I hadn't because I was always told this could screw up the gun but 2 diff. shops told me that's not true if you have any modern semi... :?:

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I used snap caps but evidently they didn't have enough material where the "primer" is.

Called S&W this morning. They're out of striker assemblies but they're sending a shipping label so that I can return the gun.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
The striker is going to break if its going to break. Snap caps will not stop it. I think brownell's has strikers in stock FWIW.

·
Registered
11 Posts
another broken striker

I posted on another thread and I just found this thead. The same thing happen to me in the same place.

I just got done with qualifying for my police department and I went to clean the gun and put it back in service, i did a function check and the striker broke.

One nice paper weight.

did you see if there was wear on the left side of the striker in the back where it meets the frame? My compact shows wear in the same spot. I don't know if that added to the problem

thanks and be safe

·
Registered
937 Posts
More fodder for the Glock folks I'm afraid

I'm sure there's been plenty of glocks that have had broken strikers. Just for reference, what brand of snap caps were you using?

·
Registered
137 Posts
This actually worries me a bit. This is my first "plastic fantastic" handgun, but now I'm a bit worried about striker fired handguns in general. Is a hammer fired semiauto a better choice, or more durable? I have little experience with hammer fired guns. What are common problems with them, if any? Thanks in advance.

Ciao,

Effy

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
FieroCDSP said:
More fodder for the Glock folks I'm afraid

I'm sure there's been plenty of glocks that have had broken strikers. Just for reference, what brand of snap caps were you using?

To tell the truth, I don't know. They have nickel-colored cases with a fluorescent orange plastic insert for "bullet" and primer.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Re: another broken striker

scourge said:
I posted on another thread and I just found this thead. The same thing happen to me in the same place.

I just got done with qualifying for my police department and I went to clean the gun and put it back in service, i did a function check and the striker broke.

One nice paper weight.

did you see if there was wear on the left side of the striker in the back where it meets the frame? My compact shows wear in the same spot. I don't know if that added to the problem

thanks and be safe

I checked the striker and the little tail that broke off. There were no wear marks on the back of either piece.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Re: another broken striker

ske1eter said:
[quote name='scourge']I posted on another thread and I just found this thead. The same thing happen to me in the same place.

One nice paper weight.

thanks and be safe

I checked the striker and the little tail that broke off. There were no wear marks on the back of either piece.[/quote]

I had called customer service and talked to Larry. Larry sent me are placement striker asap. I also have a email to r&d and they are checking into the problem with my broken striker. I hope someone makes a titanium striker like the aftermarket glocks. If i have chance in the morning i try to post picture of wear.

be safe

1 - 20 of 25 Posts