MP-Pistol Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own close to 10 S&W pistols. Guess you could say I'm heavily invested in S&W. I am looking to get into the red dot optics on pistols, so naturally, I looked into a new M&P. Unfortunately, I live in the peoples republic of NJ. We are limited to having 10 round magazines only. S&W doesn't really offer any optics ready skus, with 10 round magazines. So I figured......easy fix. Called customer service, and asked if they would consider issuing me a voucher for two 10 round magazines, and I would purchase the pistol at full price, but without magazines. S&W customer service said they won't do that. I thought, ok, still have options. I asked them if I could purchase an optics ready slide, to replace one of my non optics ready slides. S&W customer service once again said, "nope!" They don't sell slides.

So I asked what I could do to get an optics ready M&P in NJ? Their answer was sorry, you're out of luck.

While I've been immensely happy with my M&Ps, its looking like its time to switch to a manufacturer that has a few more options available to loyal customers. Feeling quite bummed! I feel my request was quite basic/simple, and I was willing to entertain options....yet there didn't seem to be a willingness on the part of S&W to help.

My dealer will pin 15 round magazines down to 10 rounds, but I have to pay $25 each to do so, and there is no way I would trust a pinned magazine for anything other than the range.

Seems like I'm out of options.

Has anyone switched over to Sig (P320) and if so, can you share insights into how it compares to the M&P?

Ed

·
Registered
223 Posts
Last time I checked Slides were gunsmith only parts. Check with a gunsmith to see it he will order one for you. He may want you to pay him to install it.

Or there is the after market.

Since I have no desire to have additional holes made in my body I'll pass on the P320

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks JDH. I'll check with a local gunsmith to see if he can order one. Didn't think of that.

Aftermarket seems very high priced. For example, an Ed Brown slide is about $400. Add tall sights to it and you're nipping at $500. The new OR firearm is about $600 and comes with the internals, magazines, and a whole new frame.

Ed

·
Registered
651 Posts
Why not just have a slide milled?

The generic factory cut slides are not that great.

I started playing with RDS in late 2015 and bought my own in 2016,

I won't own a factory cut gun and I live be in a free state.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Why not just have a slide milled?

The generic factory cut slides are not that great.

I started playing with RDS in late 2015 and bought my own in 2016,

I won't own a factory cut gun and I live be in a free state.
Slide milling winds up costing quite a bit when you consider everything. Cost of shipping, milling (also optic specific, so if you decide to change optics later.....could be a problem), finish/coating, and tall/suppressor sights. From what I see, you're staring at about $350-$450. Again, for about $100-$250 more, you get a complete firearm with frame, magazines, etc.

Definitely an option, but not a great one in my opinion.

Ed

·
Registered
110 Posts
You might consider an FN 509.

Product 66-100588 Description FN 509M NMS BLK/BLK MRD 2x10 UPC 845737010744

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Slide milling winds up costing quite a bit when you consider everything. Cost of shipping, milling (also optic specific, so if you decide to change optics later.....could be a problem), finish/coating, and tall/suppressor sights. From what I see, you're staring at about $350-$450. Again, for about $100-$250 more, you get a complete firearm with frame, magazines, etc.

Definitely an option, but not a great one in my opinion.

Ed

Super Trucker.....I'm second guessing what I posted above. The more research I do, the more I think you're right on the factory cut vs. milled. I think I can get the slide milled and tall sights for right around $250. That probably makes a bunch of sense, and seems to be a better option than the factory OR slides. I think the adapter plates cause the optic to be mounted a bit higher/taller than a milled slid. Additionally, the milled slide seems to result in a sturdier mount as compared to the mounting plate option with the OR slide. Glad I didn't make a hasty decision. Thanks for your point of view ;)

Having said all that, still kind of disappointed with S&W's lack of help.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Super Trucker.....I'm second guessing what I posted above. The more research I do, the more I think you're right on the factory cut vs. milled. I think I can get the slide milled and tall sights for right around $250. That probably makes a bunch of sense, and seems to be a better option than the factory OR slides. I think the adapter plates cause the optic to be mounted a bit higher/taller than a milled slid. Additionally, the milled slide seems to result in a sturdier mount as compared to the mounting plate option with the OR slide. Glad I didn't make a hasty decision. Thanks for your point of view ;)

Having said all that, still kind of disappointed with S&W's lack of help.
Keep in mind you do not need to refinish the slide if all you're doing is a sight cut. I just had a shield cut for an rmrcc last week and didn't refinish the cut.

I run all black suppressor height sights, a set cost about $55, mine are Ameriglo Glock sights due to the dovetail that is milled behind the RMR being to small for M&P's huge dovetail sights.

You're correct on the plates raising the optic and also correct on the fit.
The description I use of how sloppy/loose a factory cut isn't PC.

Here is a video a friend of mine made back when the Trijicon RMR and Leupold DeltaPoint were the only sights available.
You get the idea how tough a milled RMR is though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts