MP-Pistol Forum banner

Bummed with S&W Customer Service

3K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  Super Trucker 
#1 ·
I own close to 10 S&W pistols. Guess you could say I'm heavily invested in S&W. I am looking to get into the red dot optics on pistols, so naturally, I looked into a new M&P. Unfortunately, I live in the peoples republic of NJ. We are limited to having 10 round magazines only. S&W doesn't really offer any optics ready skus, with 10 round magazines. So I figured......easy fix. Called customer service, and asked if they would consider issuing me a voucher for two 10 round magazines, and I would purchase the pistol at full price, but without magazines. S&W customer service said they won't do that. I thought, ok, still have options. I asked them if I could purchase an optics ready slide, to replace one of my non optics ready slides. S&W customer service once again said, "nope!" They don't sell slides.

So I asked what I could do to get an optics ready M&P in NJ? Their answer was sorry, you're out of luck.

While I've been immensely happy with my M&Ps, its looking like its time to switch to a manufacturer that has a few more options available to loyal customers. Feeling quite bummed! I feel my request was quite basic/simple, and I was willing to entertain options....yet there didn't seem to be a willingness on the part of S&W to help.

My dealer will pin 15 round magazines down to 10 rounds, but I have to pay $25 each to do so, and there is no way I would trust a pinned magazine for anything other than the range.

Seems like I'm out of options.

Has anyone switched over to Sig (P320) and if so, can you share insights into how it compares to the M&P?

Ed

See less See more
#2 ·
Last time I checked Slides were gunsmith only parts. Check with a gunsmith to see it he will order one for you. He may want you to pay him to install it.

Or there is the after market.

Since I have no desire to have additional holes made in my body I'll pass on the P320

#3 ·
Thanks JDH. I'll check with a local gunsmith to see if he can order one. Didn't think of that.

Aftermarket seems very high priced. For example, an Ed Brown slide is about $400. Add tall sights to it and you're nipping at $500. The new OR firearm is about $600 and comes with the internals, magazines, and a whole new frame.

Ed

#5 · (Edited)
Why not just have a slide milled?

The generic factory cut slides are not that great.

I started playing with RDS in late 2015 and bought my own in 2016,

I won't own a factory cut gun and I live be in a free state.
Slide milling winds up costing quite a bit when you consider everything. Cost of shipping, milling (also optic specific, so if you decide to change optics later.....could be a problem), finish/coating, and tall/suppressor sights. From what I see, you're staring at about $350-$450. Again, for about $100-$250 more, you get a complete firearm with frame, magazines, etc.

Definitely an option, but not a great one in my opinion.

Ed

#12 ·
I agree with having the slide milled. Seems like the best option to me. A little touch-up blue on the bare area and you should be good.

My son has a P320, and I've shot it a bit. Just doesn't compare to my M&P for feel, except for a better trigger which can be easily modified if you choose.

Too bad S&W wasn't helpful, but their legal dept. probably made the rules.

#15 ·
Nice. I have the M&P 1.0 .045 4" barrel and like it a lot. I used to have a full size M&P 2.0 9mm but for some reason (I think the 5" barrel ) caused my small hands not holding it steady as it was end heavy and I never could get it to shoot accurately so I sold it. I do better with ~3.5" barrels

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.