MP-Pistol Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Manual didn't specify that 1/16" allen was the correct size, so I was trying difference size wrenches. Now the windage screw is busted to the point where I can't remove it, even with the 1/16".

Sent the entire slide just to get that dinky screw removed and replaced. :?

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Stupid thing wasn't under warranty. They said that I messed up the windage screw by trying the wrong screwdriver when all that was mentioned in the manual to change windage was to "use a drift punch". No mention whatsoever of a 1/16" allen at all anywhere. Utter bs. Total was around $54 with shipping back included. Two of those windage screws costs $5.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I think after reading many of your posts I have to wonder about you and if you. That you think it is BS for Smith & Wesson to charge you for something you admit "YOU" screwed up. Many have praised S&W for going above and beyond the call of duty in honoring warrenty claims and trying to make things right when there is even a hint of a possibility they were at fault. For you to whine when you goofed is wrong and bad form.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UPSguy said:
I think after reading many of your posts I have to wonder about you and if you. That you think it is BS for Smith & Wesson to charge you for something you admit "YOU" screwed up. Many have praised S&W for going above and beyond the call of duty in honoring warrenty claims and trying to make things right when there is even a hint of a possibility they were at fault. For you to whine when you goofed is wrong and bad form.

Although I don't get the part you were saying about my other posts.... anyways...

Leaving the it out is a flaw in the manual, really akin to misinformation. All they mentioned in the adjusting windage section was that was needed was a drift punch (not to mention the lack of knowledge of knowing what exactly a drift punch was at that time). They gave the entire instructions for adjusting windage without mentioning nil about it. Not 1/16", and not allen. How am I as a gun newbie supposed to know a 1/16" allen was needed by reading the entire instruction. Used the drift punch in the screw, and suddenly, wham, screw busted. A more clear manual should be in order.

Especially since I told you it was a 1/16" before you started playing with it
And Yukon, I asked on the forums after it was busted, mainly because this forum url wasn't specified on the manual either and I didn't know about this place until some time later. Yes, I know that this is a private forum and not related to S&W officially. But there should still be more self-help covered in the manual somewhere, IMO. Because this accident wouldn't happen if it had been more specific.

The bottom line is that the manual should be the only pre-requisite for explaining using the M&P in all topics it covers, shooting/dissembly/cleaning/changing-windage/etc. Leaving essential information related to its topics out of the manual is their fault. After I'm done reading the manual, I expect to know everything on how to use/dissamble/clean/adjust-windage on this particular gun. This is my honest stance and I will hold it regardless of other opinions on self-defined "bad form" term or whatnot. I simply don't care. Next topic.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes and those other tools listed on that thread was used to dissassemble the handgun past the process recommended in the manuel. Not to mention someone in that thread told me the 1/16" wasn't supposed to be used to adjust windage... but I'm not blaming anyone here, since I wasn't obliged to listen to anyone here. I'm just blaming the person who wrote the manual, I solely feel that is just.

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
Dude, a search would have answered your question, I posted what the allen wrench size was not 2 weeks after the forum went live.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Page 24 of the manual:

The rear sight is adjustable for windage only. To adjust, move the rear sight in the direction you wish the group to move on the target...Use a brass or plastic drift or punch to prevent marring of the rear sight. If the rear sight has a set screw, loosen the set screw prior to moving the rear sight. Tighten the set screw after the sight has been adjusted to the desired position.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've read it forward and backward before I dissambled my gun for the first time.

If the rear sight has a set screw,

No 1/16" allen mentioned anywhere. They problably just use that part of the manual for all their handguns instead of making a more specific and thorough manual solely for the M&P which quality matches the handgun it is covering.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
The directions are clear as day. If you don't know how to loosen the set screw, then you need to let someone that does show you. Part of knowing how, is knowing how to find the correct tool.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Gentlemen it is symantics at this point. HE feels he did nothing wrong and S&W was in the wrong by not publishing a set screw size. Do I agree with him? no way because this really should have been done by a qualified gun smith, which I am sure he is not.

As for the crack about this site not being in the Manual, I think that is out of line and you need to apologize to the good people on this forum. They did not have to start a forum and deal with all the garbage that comes with running a discussion forum. Where would you be then? They are enthusiasts and like the product S&W has produced. I read this forum all the time and have seen nothing but people being helpful and sharing.

I am sure you can take your parts to a machine shop and have the fix the threads if they are stripped.

Hub

·
Registered
64 Posts
Eddo36 said:
I've read it forward and backward before I dissambled my gun for the first time.

If the rear sight has a set screw,

No 1/16" allen mentioned anywhere. They problably just use that part of the manual for all their handguns instead of making a more specific and thorough manual solely for the M&P which quality matches the handgun it is covering.

The fact is that S&W told you there might be a set screw. They told you to look for it and to loosen it if it was there. Did you not understand what a set screw was? I ask because you said you were unclear of what a drift punch was as well so I'm not trying to be snarky. The manual then told you to tighten it after you use the drift punch.

Manuals are meant to describe something to an audience. They are intended to be understood by an audience with "X" vocabulary and experience. They are also intended to be used in a variety of circumstances (different versions of sights or safety mechanisms on a single model of firearm) to prevent having to print short runs of 50 different manuals instead of a long run of 1 or 2. If you are reading something in the manual you don't understand, then that should be your first clue that this might be above your ability and or experience and that seeking out someone with more ability and or experience BEFORE you start might be the best option. If you choose to ignore that implied warning, well, then you get what you deserve.

Call it a life lesson and move on. You aren't the victim here so Cowboy Up.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't see the point of your post as of yet. In simple english without the applied algebra you for some reason tried to apply, a manual is supposed to teach the user on it's use. You haven't stated why it's excusable making a "inferior" manual to a product unless S&W was too cheap and didn't mind the infeority of the manual to bring the overall quality of the product package down, since it wasn't a question of being uncertain, but rather a problem of misunderstanding the procedure for the stated function due to a weak procudure set by a weak manual.

The directions are clear as day. If you don't know how to loosen the set screw, then you need to let someone that does show you. Part of knowing how, is knowing how to find the correct tool.

So... take the handgun to a qualified gunsmith just to adjust the windage, well, I don't really know what you were on, but maybe I'd like to try some
Was just following the directions manual as of what it stated. Adjusting the windage was covered in it, thefore it is legit to not have to require a qualified gunsmith to do it. The inferior quality of the manual brings down the overall quality of the M&P, since the price of the manual is included in the purchase of the M&P. Great gun but mediocre manual for the gun equals an average package. IMO. Thanks for yours. Good day.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.