MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading a lot about the M&P9 and it seems like an ideal first pistol, problem is I always like to try a gun before buying it and my local range doesnt rent the M&P. I was considering a glock as a first pistol but after renting one I found I didn't really like the way it fit in my hand. I've also fired sigs, they are nice but they're a bit expensive for me and I like DAO more I think. Did anyone here buy the M&P without trying it first?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I did, as i do with most of the guns i purchase since my local range only rents glocks and i am not the fondest of them. I have found out that the only gun i was dissapointed in buying before trying was my Kimber. It jammed all the time and the gun store ended up taking it back since i buy guns there all the time and they let me pick out somthing else. But i think that you would be happy with the M&P most people are including my self!!!

Adam

·
Registered
22 Posts
I always recommend trying before buying, but If you like the way the M&P9 feels in your hand, you will not be disappointed with the way it shoots.

I bought mine before trying it. Then I just had to have the compact and I bought it without trying it and couldn't be happier.

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
where are you located?? see if there is a forum member that is near you and will let you shoot theirs!

·
Site Staff
9,613 Posts
I've never fired a weapon before buying it in my life, back in the "old days" there weren't any places to rent a pistol before buying, even now a lot of the ones you might want to try aren't on the rental lists.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have bought 3 guns without having a chance to fire them. The MP9, XD45 and USP45. All served well. So long as you get a chance to handle and dry fire oneyou should be OK. Ideal would be to fire one, but if that dont work out you should still be OK.

If youre around Austin,TX drop me a note and we can hook up. I'm always looking for an excuse to go to the range.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
TAZ said:
I have bought 3 guns without having a chance to fire them. The MP9, XD45 and USP45. All served well. So long as you get a chance to handle and dry fire oneyou should be OK. Ideal would be to fire one, but if that dont work out you should still be OK.

If youre around Austin,TX drop me a note and we can hook up. I'm always looking for an excuse to go to the range.

Taz, I am San Antonio every other month for a couple of days, next I'll be ther is late April... Lets go shoot.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Morgan Walker said:
[quote name='Jester']where are you located?? see if there is a forum member that is near you and will let you shoot theirs!

I am in Fort Polk, Louisiana your more than welcome to shoot either of mine, I'll even tell you where I bought mine for a great price.[/quote]

Hey, thanks, I'm in the New Orleans area, I was going to buy it from the Shooters Club in Metarie, what do you think about that price?

http://www.davidsonsinc.com/consumers/subs...0&item_num=

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Well, I am about 4.5 hours away, but I would recommend "Buds" or "BigSkyGuns". The reason, Gallery of Guns is a fine establishment, but you will have to pay a state income tax, plus FFL transfer, plus shipping. If you go with an out of state gun broker, you dont have to pay LA taxes, which are 9%. But again that is totally up to you and your pocket book. If you ever make up here, dont be shy...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
264 Posts
Morgan Walker said:
Taz, I am San Antonio every other month for a couple of days, next I'll be ther is late April... Lets go shoot.

Sounds like a plan. Dont know any places to shoot in SA or around there. I belong to a club in Temple, about an hour north of me.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Since late January I've bought my M&P9c, 1 AR-15 w/tac16 suppressor, 1 Varminter AR-15, and Walther P22 w/tac52 suppressor for the wifey all without shooting them. In the next few days an AR50 and probably a 1911 or XD40 are being bought obviously without being shot - possibly without even being held/viewed in person.

Two local shops have rental guns, but I've never considered messing with them. I just play with the new one's for a couple minutes, then take the plunge into the unknown.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
It must have been fate......

Proving the blind squirrel theory works , I got lucky on my 1st pistol purchase but didn't know it until later. I bought my 1st pistol about seven years ago because I just liked the way it looked. I was in a sporting goods store browsing around and wound up at the gun counter. There in the case was a bad a$$ looking S & W, 686 357 magnum revolver with a 6" ported barrel. It really looked good so I bought it. It has turned out to be the only pistol I like shooting more than my MP's. Now 14 or so guns (auto's, revolvers and a few rifles) later, I have no regrets about buying that 686 and will probably never part with it. :wink:

·
Registered
69 Posts
I don't believe I've ever had the opportunity to try a pistol out before I've purchased it. No rental places here. I rely on reviews, photos, and how they feel when I pick them up, same methods I've used for 20 yrs or so. It works pretty good. Rarely am I disappointed.

In fact I purchased the MP9 without even holding one before I placed the order. I'd heard good things about it and I did like the looks. It was low on my gotta have it list. But when I saw the price at Bud's, $399, I knew that price wasn't going to last and that as soon as the MP series became popular the price would go up. And I also figured I was getting it at a low enough price that if I didn't like it I'd be able to trade it and not take much of a loss.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I bought my 686+ without trying that particular model. Before that I did shoot a S&W model 19 .357 mag, but never a 686+. It just looked so good and felt great in my hand I bought it. I have no regrets to this day though. It shoots great.

Ciao,

Effy

·
Registered
5,726 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
my local store got a good deal on 10 M&P's and have them on sale... I handled one and tried the trigger -- liked it a bit

might pick one up tomorrow 8)

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts