MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
The internal lock is a little key lock which I believe is made by Safe-T-Hammer, who owns S&W. On the left side of the frame (looking rear to front) there is a little "L" with an arrow by it. This is situated by a little cap. On guns with the IL I guess the lock would be there instead. I have not seen one with the lock as it is not required in my state. I am not sure if they only send it to states who require it or not. The mechanism will essentially freeze up the firing mechanism.

·
Registered
319 Posts
mag lock is that u can't pull trigger if mag is not inserted right?

People actually want that?

·
Registered
361 Posts
If you want a M&P without the lock, they can be found. I have the M&P 40 without the mag disconnect and without the lock. Here are the SKU's:

SW209300FC SW M&P 4.25" 40 B 15R WO/IL-MD

SW209301FC SW M&P 4.25" 9 B 17R WO/IL-MD

SW209302FC SW M&P 4.25" 357 B 15R WO/IL-MD

·
Registered
64 Posts
mine has niether lock, however i thought about getting one with the mag disconnect seriously. if you have to struggle with a bg over the gun, it's easier and safer to just push the button and let him have the useless gun. in that second you can get your backup piece and stop him from whatever badguy stuff he was doing.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
mity2 said:
mag lock is that u can't pull trigger if mag is not inserted right?

People actually want that?

I have both options, of which I enjoy the mag lock the best. I personally like the option because of my 10 year son and as precaution to anyone that is interested in my weapon, I simply drop the mag, even if I have a round chambered it will not fire without the mag inserted.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
16 Posts
Morgan Walker said:
I have both options, of which I enjoy the mag lock the best. I personally like the option because of my 10 year son and as precaution to anyone that is interested in my weapon, I simply drop the mag, even if I have a round chambered it will not fire without the mag inserted.

I don't mean to be an a**, but... Are you not clearing the chamber before handing over the pistol? It's always been drilled into me that anything mechanical can and eventually will fail.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have the mag disconnect safety and it's not a problem for me. I think they only offer that version in CA, but I could be wrong. There's a space (arrow and plugged hole) for the internal lock, but a plug is inserted over it. Not sure it the store did that, or if it was shipped that way, so I'd say I have no lock I guess. I do have a lock on my 686+ and there's been no problems after around 2000 rounds. BTW I have 1250 through my M&P9 and have had no problems either.

Ciao,

Effy

·
Registered
103 Posts
The one I have on order does not have the mag disconnect. IMO, the mag disconnect is a stupid and dangerous idea. Some people rely on them to prevent negligent discharges, and I say that those people are dangerous as all get out. No safety, no mag disconnect, no gadget can replace proper, safe manipulation of the firearm. I was always told not to trust the safety. It goes in the same category as someone handing me a firearm without checking it and saying "It's unloaded!" I always verify that the chamber is empty. In fact, we have had people come in to the shop and remark that it is weird because the first thing that any of us do when picking up a fiream is to check the condition of the weapon.

In a life or death struggle with a BG, I will not let him have the weapon. You're just asking for trouble. Learn proper retention and disarm techniques. Better yet, avoid getting within arms reach of a bad guy.

Joe

·
Registered
341 Posts
I have both locks on my M&P 40 ..... but when I bought it I didn't know they came without as well. I bought based on looks, feel, & recommendations.

Anyway, the internal lock is on the left side of the frame ... they give you a small hex type key to lock/unlock. I guess this feature would comein handy if you had kids in the house or something, but I just leave mine in an unlocked state.

The mag disconnect is debatable .... I'm sure there are plenty of reasons to have it & not to have it.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
caporider said:
[quote name='Morgan Walker']

I don't mean to be an a**, but... Are you not clearing the chamber before handing over the pistol? It's always been drilled into me that anything mechanical can and eventually will fail.[/quote]

No offense taken, I only release my weapon over to those I have fired with. Besides on an Army installion, most of us are professionals and think safety also we know to keep a weapon pointed down range at all times in case of malfunction. I also believe if it wasn't a desired option S&W wouldn't have made it available to the public.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
15 Posts
yobos4vr said:
mine has niether lock, however i thought about getting one with the mag disconnect seriously. if you have to struggle with a bg over the gun, it's easier and safer to just push the button and let him have the useless gun. in that second you can get your backup piece and stop him from whatever badguy stuff he was doing.

If someone tries to grab your gun, pull the trigger. If you are in a life or death struggle over the gun, what do you think the other party is going to do, if they gain control of it? Think they will say: just kidding, here you go..and give it back?

Just food for thought....

·
Registered
524 Posts
Southswede said:
[quote name='yobos4vr']mine has niether lock, however i thought about getting one with the mag disconnect seriously. if you have to struggle with a bg over the gun, it's easier and safer to just push the button and let him have the useless gun. in that second you can get your backup piece and stop him from whatever badguy stuff he was doing.

If someone tries to grab your gun, pull the trigger. If you are in a life or death struggle over the gun, what do you think the other party is going to do, if they gain control of it? Think they will say: just kidding, here you go..and give it back?

Just food for thought....[/quote]

They're going to point it at you, pull the trigger several times, then look at it curiously...and about that time your folding knife should be pushing through their kidney and then subsequently crowbarred out through their flank, or your back up gun should be in the fight poking holes.

Thats the entire point, in a struggle over a weapon with a mag disconnect, dropping the magazine renders it useless for anything other then as a striking implement to the person trying to use your weapon against you. Its saved many cops lives, and is a worthwhile option that can save your life.

·
Registered
15 Posts
ClosetCaseNerd said:

They're going to point it at you, pull the trigger several times, then look at it curiously...and about that time your folding knife should be pushing through their kidney, or your back up gun should be in the fight.

Thats the entire point, in a struggle over a weapon with a mag disconnect, dropping the magazine renders it useless to the person trying to use your weapon against you. Its saved many cops lives, and is a worthwhile option that can save your life.

You missed my point: pull the trigger. Problem solved.

·
Registered
524 Posts

While someone has smothered your draw and the muzzle flags your leg, bystanders, as you wrestle for control over the weapon? Or while it still resides in your holster on your belt and you guys tussle on the ground while he tries to tear it from your side(think gun snatch)? Those are very plausible scenarios that a mag safety can save your ass. Ask some cops.

·
Registered
64 Posts
ClosetCaseNerd said:

While someone has smothered your draw and the muzzle flags your leg, bystanders, as you wrestle for control over the weapon? Or while it still resides in your holster on your belt and you guys tussle on the ground while he tries to tear it from your side(think gun snatch)? Those are very plausible scenarios that a mag safety can save your butt. Ask some cops.

that was the whole point of my initial comment 8)

·
Registered
15 Posts
ClosetCaseNerd said:

While someone has smothered your draw and the muzzle flags your leg, bystanders, as you wrestle for control over the weapon? Or while it still resides in your holster on your belt and you guys tussle on the ground while he tries to tear it from your side(think gun snatch)? Those are very plausible scenarios that a mag safety can save your butt. Ask some cops.

I am a Deputy Sheriff, with over 20 years of experience. Situational awareness will keep you out of a jam. If you get into a fight over a holstered gun, keep it there. If the gun is out, pull the trigger.....

I am also a firearms instructor too....

·
Registered
524 Posts
No worries yobos, we're on the same page

I am a Deputy Sheriff, with over 20 years of experience. Situational awareness will keep you out of a jam. If you get into a fight over a holstered gun, keep it there. If the gun is out, pull the trigger.....

I mean no disrespect but your telling me that you can see no advantage in said situation of having a magazine disconnect safety? Further, as an officer with other tools to go to (BUG, ASP, Taser, GFT skills...) I can see being able to take your focus off the weapon and put it towards controlling he bad guy a great asset. I can think of many situations where situational awareness will only get you so far (bars, crowds, ect). In those same situations, I would think it highly unlikely your going to "pull the trigger" while wrestling for control of the weapon, and where it points...

We've hijacked this thread enough, so I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I'm not LE, you may very well know better then I through experience, but I just can't see it your way from my perspective.

·
Registered
15 Posts
ClosetCaseNerd said:
No worries yobos, we're on the same page

I mean no disrespect but your telling me that you can see no advantage in said situation of having a magazine disconnect safety? Further, as an officer with other tools to go to (BUG, ASP, Taser, GFT skills...) I can see being able to take your focus off the weapon and put it towards controlling he bad guy a great asset. I can think of many situations where situational awareness will only get you so far (bars, crowds, ect). In those same situations, I would think it highly unlikely your going to "pull the trigger" while wrestling for control of the weapon, and where it points...

We've hijacked this thread enough, so I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I'm not LE, you may very well know better then I through experience, but I just can't see it your way from my perspective.

If you have enough control over the gun to drop the magazine, you certainly have enough control to pull the trigger. I think the answer lies in mindset and having made the decision to employ fatal force.

I think if the situation has gotten to the point that you have the gun out, you are having a bad day. For me, the answer lies in solving the problem, not prolonging the situation. Being good guy's, means we have to be reactive, rather than proactive, to a certain point.

By the way, no disrespect taken.

·
Registered
490 Posts
this happens every time someone brings up the idea of a lock.

all this guy wanted to know was what it is, not what your opnion of it was. If he wanted to know the pros and cons of the internal lock and mag safety he could search for it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts