MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do I get the .40 or 9mm? Can the .40 be converted to shoot 9mm? Have the mag drop issue's been resolved yet? Is there anything I should be aware of before I purchse one? I have owned one before in 9mm but was curious on the .40 and if any issues had arrived on the newer serial #'s that I may not know about.Oh yea, I also have a Glock 19 if that helps any.

·
Registered
291 Posts
To me, it would depend on what you are going to use it for.

Target shooting, 9mm.

As a carry gun, .40

·
Registered
51 Posts
chilic82 said:
Do I get the .40 or 9mm? Can the .40 be converted to shoot 9mm? Have the mag drop issue's been resolved yet? Is there anything I should be aware of before I purchse one? I have owned one before in 9mm but was curious on the .40 and if any issues had arrived on the newer serial #'s that I may not know about.Oh yea, I also have a Glock 19 if that helps any.
I went through same questions before getting my 9mm MP. See thread called : "If you had to do it again would you get the MP40 over mp9?" here.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have also been told that the m&p has trouble cycling WWB ammo. Is this true? I really like my guns to be able to cycle most major brands of ammo.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I've fired nothing but WWB through my M&P 9mm, and I've had zero failures of any kind. I'm not sure who exactly posts this problem with WWB, but I know most(almost all) have had no problems with it. Oh...get the 9mm.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The 9mm is a really amazing gun to shoot. Soft recoil and very comfortable. You'll have fun at the range with it. Can't speak to the .40 M&P since I only have a .40 cal Glock and its not nearly as much fun to shoot as my M&P9.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I too was faced with that same dilema so i bought both :wink: :wink: :wink: good luck

·
Registered
246 Posts
Regarding your question about converting the .40 to 9mm. I don't think that it can be done easily. I know that it takes more than changing barrels. It would probably require a new slide, barrel, magazine and I don't know what other parts would have to be changed. The slide assembly is not availabe thru Brownells. Even if the parts were available, It would probably be about a cheap to just get a second gun in the other caliber.

I like my 9mm a lot. I only have about 400 rounds thru it at this point and it has been flawless. It's a lot of fun to shoot and with the right ammo it is not lacking as a defensive weapon. Like the others have commented, the ammo is cheaper, it holds more ammo, less recoil for faster recovery and second shots, etc.

I shot my first IDPA match with my M&P9 last Saturday... the M&P9 ROCKS........

Having said all of that, I have just bought a M&P40 fullsize and I'm in the "waiting ten days" to pick it up. I have never owned anything chambered in 40s&w and I like the M&P9 so well that I decided that I would like to give the 40 a try. I am certain that I will continue to shoot the 9 in IDPA and it will most likely continue to be my bedside gun as I think my wife will be able to handle it more easily than the 40.

·
Registered
172 Posts
chilic82 said:
I have also been told that the m&p has trouble cycling WWB ammo. Is this true? I really like my guns to be able to cycle most major brands of ammo.

My M&P9 has cycled everything I've put in it without any failures. I've fired WWB without any problems. Most of the ammo I've fired lately has been Independence 115 gr, Wolf Combat 124 gr and Ultramax. I've been buying on price. My real worry is what the pistol would do if I bought "high quality" ammo. Would it be so shocked that it wouldn't fire? Or would it think it had been stolen and dial 911? I haven't given it the acid test on creating cycling problems but the pistol shoots what I feed it.

·
Registered
910 Posts
101Combat Vet said:
I too was faced with that same dilema so i bought both :wink: :wink: :wink: good luck

Always a great way to solve the "Which gun should I buy?" dilema.
I follow it often.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I am one who had trouble shooting WWB through my M&P9. Experienced 3 failures to extract during a string of 140-rounds. Quite discouraged, did some research and found other Internet users experiencing similar problems. Switched to American Eagle and Black Hills, shot 350-rounds last Friday and not a problem. The M&P9 likes hotter ammunition.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Another perspective

When speaking of practical pistol competition, the 40S&W is a more versatile caliber. To be able to get major power factor scoring, your ammo needs to be of a minimum of 10mm caliber. With the 9mm you'd be able to shoot production division without disadvantage but in Limited or Limted 10 you'd be shooting minor. However, you could still shoot production division with a 40, but in that case you'd be in a better situation if you load your own ammo.

I have two sons (16 & 14) that are USPSA C-class shooters and use M&P40s in limited division.

For casual range visits and plinking, you'd get more 9mm bb's than 40's for your money. For defensive purposes you'd be well armed with either and the right ammo.

Good luck!

·
Registered
115 Posts
101Combat Vet said:

LMAO
That was a lot of help

They are both great guns. Get whatever caliber you prefer. You can't go wrong either way. In my opinion I agree with 45 guy to get a .40 for self defense or 9mm for target.

·
Registered
177 Posts
chilic82, I'm just posting to see what you end up buying. I have the .40 full size M&P myself. Looking to get the .40 compact one day.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I might get a .40c now that I own the 9mm full size. Caring the full size is no picnic so I might end up with a .40 compact. I do worry that the .40 compact will not be a good range gun since I'm assuming the recoil will be higher in the compact version and perhaps accuracy will be lower due to size of gun.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
This is tomorrow. What did you buy?

:twisted:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hello Everyone, I had fully made up my mind to purchase the 9mm. But, I ran into a friend of mine that just had to mention a unheard of deal on a LNIB Walther p99 that his friend was selling that was in need of some cash. So, I bought the Walther and will just purchse the m&p in a month or so. Thanks for the replies , they were a great help and will consider them on next try.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts