MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I don’t come from a family that owns/shoots guns and I don’t really have any friends that own/shoot guns so this web site has been very helpful to me over the past month or so. I bought my first gun today. It is a Remington 870 express super mag with synthetic/black finish 26" barrel. I got it at Sports Authority for $229.00 with a $30 mail in rebate. Tomorrow I am buying a Smith and Wesson M&P 9mm w/night sights and 2 mags at Doug’s shoot & sports for $579.00 (I could also get it with regular sights for $479.00)

Here are my 2 questions:

1- Are night sights that important and is it worth an extra Benjamin?

2- On the Smith & Wesson website it says that if you buy a M&P you get 2 free mags with it. Are the 2 mags I'm getting with the gun at Doug’s shoot & sports the same 2 mags that are referenced on the Smith & Wesson website or do I contact Smith & Wesson after I buy my gun tomorrow for an additional 2 free mags.

TIA,

Jason

·
Registered
110 Posts
Usually two mags come with the gun, and to get the two free from Smith you have to fill out a rebate form and send it off to them. From what I've gathered, it takes anywhere from 3 to 10 weeks to get the freebies.

As for night sights, it's a matter or personal preference I think. They function just fine in the daytime and they're a nice thing to have around in lowlight or no-light situations. It's one of those things where it's better to have them and not need them than to need them and not have them. That being said...I have yet to put night sights on my M&P. Pesky bills...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was out shooting at night last weekend at a class and someone next to me had night sights.

I didn't find out which ones but they were plenty bright and all we had was starlight.

I have an M & P 40 without night sights but I've considered having night sights installed.

Though I'll probably get the Laser-grips first.

I'd get the installed night-sights.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I have night sights on three of my pistols. The ones that I consider my main self defense pistols. I'll be adding them to my M&P as well as soon as the darn thing gets here. It's one of those things that it's just soooooo darn nice to have when you need them. I'm also a fan of lasers and add them as well.

For now if you can afford the night sights then I'd get them for sure and then plan on investing another couple of hundred in training.

·
Registered
3 Posts
When I had Glocks, the only reason I got night sights was to get the better metal sights instead of the cheap, flimsy plastic Glock sights. Now that the M&P has some pretty nice regular sights, don't want to spend extra for the night sights.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Welcome! Don't know what you have planned for the shotgun, but the clay sports (trap, skeet, sporting clays) are a ton of fun. Don't let anyone tell you you can't shoot em with a pump either.

I really enjoy shooting my .22 pistol as well. Just something to consider.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The two free mags from S&W are in addition to the two mags that come with the gun. You need to send in the rebate form with proof of purchase. If you do that, then you will end up with four mags for the gun. I bought the M&P carry kit this summer, so I got three mags with the gun as well as a holster and mag pouch. Sent in the form for the two free mags and received those, so I now have five mags, gun, holster and mag pouch, all for the price of the gun. Paid $469 without night sights. Also got the free range bag that S&W was offering this summer. Nice deal and great gun.

·
Registered
269 Posts
night sights aren't a bad idea on a defensive weapon. If it is just for target shooting then no, but if you ever plan to use it as a carry weapon or nightstand weapon then ya might as well.

·
Registered
380 Posts
for those of you that are in favor of night sights....

would you recommend the the S&W optionals or an aftermarket such as Hi-Viz ?

·
Registered
215 Posts
jasonslc said:
Well, I don’t come from a family that owns/shoots guns and I don’t really have any friends that own/shoot guns so this web site has been very helpful to me over the past month or so. I bought my first gun today. It is a Remington 870 express super mag with synthetic/black finish 26" barrel. I got it at Sports Authority for $229.00 with a $30 mail in rebate. Tomorrow I am buying a Smith and Wesson M&P 9mm w/night sights and 2 mags at Doug’s shoot & sports for $579.00 (I could also get it with regular sights for $479.00)

Here are my 2 questions:

1- Are night sights that important and is it worth an extra Benjamin?

2- On the Smith & Wesson website it says that if you buy a M&P you get 2 free mags with it. Are the 2 mags I'm getting with the gun at Doug’s shoot & sports the same 2 mags that are referenced on the Smith & Wesson website or do I contact Smith & Wesson after I buy my gun tomorrow for an additional 2 free mags.

TIA,

Jason

You'll have to have a .22LR semi pistol, too....for cheap practice and lots of fun. When you get ready for one, come back here and I'll advise you to get a Browning Buck Mark.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Steelshooter said:
I don't feel the need for night sights. If I can't see what I'm shooting well enough to need them then I shouldn't shoot it.

I agree with this statment 100%. Before buying nightsights try some flashlight drills and see how well your sights can be seen.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I got it today. I took a little longer trying to make sure this was the gun for me. I ended up getting the M&P 9mm full size w/ regular sights. I paid $471 and put 50 rounds throught right there when I bought it and I really like it! Thanks again for all the advise.

Jason

1 - 13 of 13 Posts