MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My local store has a few Police Trade ins for about $250 and they have a few in .40 S&W, that I was looking at. they are the standard M&P, NOT THE 2.0, just M&P.

What do I need to look at on the frame and be aware to look at when I'm picking out my pistol?

Are there any particular frame areas that are prone to damage?

Also, I've read online and heard mention on a few YT videos about Pre-2010 models being slightly different than the Post-2010 on through the 2.0 variants. Would anyone happen to know what serial number I should look at to make sure I'm not buying a Pre-2010 model?

This is going to just be a Range toy and tinkering piece. I want to try and find a .357sig barrel and one of the discontinued 9mm conversion barrels for it. If something happens to this one, while I tinker with it, I'll only be out about $200. If I decide to carry one, I'll buy a 2.0 to replace my G26 I normally carry.

I appreciate the input. Thanks in Advance.

John

·
Registered
500 Posts
I owned an early M&P9 purchased in mid-2007. The major difference I know of between it and later versions was the introduction of a larger diameter, stronger sear spring sometime after mine was made. Mine had the smaller spring that would sometimes not reset the sear leading to what was known as the "dead trigger" failure. I don't know. when that change was made but S&W's customer service should be able to tell you.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
We have an early M&P9 (‘07) that’s still bone stock, and has never malfunctioned. It was my IDPA gun for several years. I gave it to my wife after she completed her first 1500 round count Threat Focused Pistol course with it.

I believe that most LEO trade ins have more holster wear than actual wear from shooting.

·
Registered
500 Posts
We have an early M&P9 (‘07) that’s still bone stock, and has never malfunctioned. It was my IDPA gun for several years. I gave it to my wife after she completed her first 1500 round count Threat Focused Pistol course with it.
Your experience has been better than mine. Mine had several instances of the dead trigger before I looked for the explanation. I called S&W and they sent me a new sear block with the newer, larger sear spring and that ended the problem. Even at that I never trusted it fully again and wound up selling it a couple of years later.

When the 2.0 models came out I decided to try again and the new one has been flawless.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe that most LEO trade ins have more holster wear than actual wear from shooting.
That's what I expect. I haven't handled any of them yet but was looking at them the other day(they were VERY BUSY that day). They pretty much looked like they hadn't been out of the holsters the whole time, nearly no marks around the front of the slides and a nice little "Tan Line" right about at the holster top level. I'm sure they were probably all cleaned up well and gone through prior to trade in, but I just want to make sure I don't get one that got missed in the pile while they were looking them over. The way my luck usually runs, I've never been lucky enough to get one that was carried by the Desk Sargent. I'm more likely to get the one carried by the Entry Guy from the SWAT team who also considers himself a master gunsmith with a Dremel tool.....

I plan on doing some mods to it anyway, so as long as it's a solid frame and parts, I'll be OK with it. I plan on finding a 40cal-9mm conversion barrel and getting a .357Sig barrel also so, no reason to not get a new 40S&W barrel too, if it's needed. I'm probably going to get the APEX trigger for it also or at least the MCarbo set. It's just going to be a "Fun Gun" for the range. I've wanted a .40S&W ever since they were first talked about, along with a 10mm, ever since I saw Sonny Crocket carry his Bren Ten, on Miami Vice, back when I was a kid.

·
Registered
362 Posts
That's what I expect. I haven't handled any of them yet but was looking at them the other day(they were VERY BUSY that day). They pretty much looked like they hadn't been out of the holsters the whole time, nearly no marks around the front of the slides and a nice little "Tan Line" right about at the holster top level. I'm sure they were probably all cleaned up well and gone through prior to trade in, but I just want to make sure I don't get one that got missed in the pile while they were looking them over. The way my luck usually runs, I've never been lucky enough to get one that was carried by the Desk Sargent. I'm more likely to get the one carried by the Entry Guy from the SWAT team who also considers himself a master gunsmith with a Dremel tool.....

I plan on doing some mods to it anyway, so as long as it's a solid frame and parts, I'll be OK with it. I plan on finding a 40cal-9mm conversion barrel and getting a .357Sig barrel also so, no reason to not get a new 40S&W barrel too, if it's needed. I'm probably going to get the APEX trigger for it also or at least the MCarbo set. It's just going to be a "Fun Gun" for the range. I've wanted a .40S&W ever since they were first talked about, along with a 10mm, ever since I saw Sonny Crocket carry his Bren Ten, on Miami Vice, back when I was a kid.
You know why .40 guns are so cheap, right?
Most LEO's, Fed's and a percent of citizens dropped the .40 a year or two ago.
It will by a cheap gun to buy but good luck selling it.

I don't have a dog in the race, it just seems by your post that you are not aware of what is happening is all.

I foresee ammo for that caliber to be like 10mm or .357sig in the near future, expensive.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I don't have a dog in the race, it just seems by your post that you are not aware of what is happening is all.

I foresee ammo for that caliber to be like 10mm or .357sig in the near future, expensive.
Most likely, you're right. I don't sell guns anyway so I'm OK with that. As for Ammo, I reload too so it won't be quite as bad, once I build up a surplus of Brass.

I actually just came back from the store where I bought one. Checks are backed up so I'll be going back this evening to pick it up and try it to make sure it functions well enough. I think I did OK with it. Turns out, they were previously Brinks Armored Service pistols. The barrel looked good, Needs a cleaning. The frame and Recoil spring looked like it'd never been shot. I really didn't see much holster wear on it.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Most likely, you're right. I don't sell guns anyway so I'm OK with that. As for Ammo, I reload too so it won't be quite as bad, once I build up a surplus of Brass.

I actually just came back from the store where I bought one. Checks are backed up so I'll be going back this evening to pick it up and try it to make sure it functions well enough. I think I did OK with it. Turns out, they were previously Brinks Armored Service pistols. The barrel looked good, Needs a cleaning. The frame and Recoil spring looked like it'd never been shot. I really didn't see much holster wear on it.
That's cool, as I said I don't care just wanted to make sure you knew what you were getting into.

Keep in mind also that is most likely will NOT have the S&W warranty since it's a trade in.
I bought a police trade years ago that the frame cracked a few months after I got it and S&W would not warranty it because it was police issue, they knew by the serial number.
Fortunately you got it cheap enough it shouldn't matter.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's cool, as I said I don't care just wanted to make sure you knew what you were getting into.

Keep in mind also that is most likely will NOT have the S&W warranty since it's a trade in.
I bought a police trade years ago that the frame cracked a few months after I got it and S&W would not warranty it because it was police issue, they knew by the serial number.
Fortunately you got it cheap enough it shouldn't matter.
That's exactly my thinking. My only problem that I'm finding at the moment is that this model is so old that all the cool options and accessories that were out there for it have all but cried up. But, I have been able to find a few other Used items for cheap. I just ordered 5 used .40/.357 magazines for about $13 each, instead of the usual $30-40 each. Also, it came with the Large grip back strap on it so I ordered the Medium and Small grip back strap for about $4 each from Brownells so I can better fit it for both me and my Wife. I have very large hands, and she's kinda small to medium so I try to find that best "In between" fit. And, mine already has Night Sights on it, so there's one less thing to buy for it.

I did a complete disassembly and cleaning to it tonight. There was some rust on the magazine and I actually the trigger return spring was packed with lint. Overall though, it was pretty clean with just the expected carbon on some of the internal parts.

I think, beside the back straps and magazines, I need to find a .357Sig barrel for now and, instead of tracking down a conversion barrel, I'm going to try and find a Slide/Barrel/Spring set in 9mm to just do a complete upper conversion and keep them and the magazines separate. I lucked out, finding the cheap used magazines and I figured I'd keep 2 painted a different color to use for the .357sig ammo so I get it mixed and try to chamber the wrong thing at the range.

And, one thing I did discover, that will be my 1st modification, will be getting rid of the Magazine safety. I've never had a pistol, or any firearm that has had one and I don't like it on this one.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One other thing. I think I may have a Pre 2010 M&P. I've emailed S&W with my information in order to get the actual build time frame from them, but, when I took everything apart tonight, I took the sear housing apart and measured the pin under the sear. It was obviously pretty small and was right about 1/16th, roughly measured with a ruler while held between my fingers. Over at Brownells, they have what's called the Standard Sear Block Housing Assembly. Can I just replace mine with this unit and make it compatible for my future upgrades for things like an Apex Trigger kit and such?

SMITH & WESSON - SEAR HOUSING BLOCK ASSEMBLY, STANDARD

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
One other thing. I think I may have a Pre 2010 M&P. I've emailed S&W with my information in order to get the actual build time frame from them, but, when I took everything apart tonight, I took the sear housing apart and measured the pin under the sear. It was obviously pretty small and was right about 1/16th, roughly measured with a ruler while held between my fingers. Over at Brownells, they have what's called the Standard Sear Block Housing Assembly. Can I just replace mine with this unit and make it compatible for my future upgrades for things like an Apex Trigger kit and such?

SMITH & WESSON - SEAR HOUSING BLOCK ASSEMBLY, STANDARD
If you call S&W qnd tell them yu’re havng dead trigger issues; they may send you one for free.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Welp, heard back from S&W today. My pistol was made back 7/17/2007. Bad news is, they only Warrant to the original purchaser so their Lifetime warranty doesn't apply to me.

The possibly, hopefully, good news is that Brownell's has the newer 1/8th sear assembly for $37. I was ordering the Small and Medium grip panel anyway from them so I threw that into the cart also. I'm going to order the MCarbo upgrade kit and see what it does for the trigger.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My local store has a few Police Trade ins for about $250 and they have a few in .40 S&W, that I was looking at. they are the standard M&P, NOT THE 2.0, just M&P.

What do I need to look at on the frame and be aware to look at when I'm picking out my pistol?

Are there any particular frame areas that are prone to damage?

Also, I've read online and heard mention on a few YT videos about Pre-2010 models being slightly different than the Post-2010 on through the 2.0 variants. Would anyone happen to know what serial number I should look at to make sure I'm not buying a Pre-2010 model?

This is going to just be a Range toy and tinkering piece. I want to try and find a .357sig barrel and one of the discontinued 9mm conversion barrels for it. If something happens to this one, while I tinker with it, I'll only be out about $200. If I decide to carry one, I'll buy a 2.0 to replace my G26 I normally carry.

I appreciate the input. Thanks in Advance.

John
Welp, heard back from S&W today. My pistol was made back 7/17/2007. Bad news is, they only Warrant to the original purchaser so their Lifetime warranty doesn't apply to me.

The possibly, hopefully, good news is that Brownell's has the newer 1/8th sear assembly for $37. I was ordering the Small and Medium grip panel anyway from them so I threw that into the cart also. I'm going to order the MCarbo upgrade kit and see what it does for the trigger.
I recently purchased a 9mm LE trade in, M&P full size. This one was from “Brinks” (B with wings on the top of the slide). The two issues I had were;
This model had a magazine disconnect safety (won’t fire if the magazine is not in the gun) and the actual chamber was about 0.004” too small. I sent the firearm to S&W and they replaced the barrel and all is great with the pistol now.

·
Registered
10 Posts

Just because many LE organizations are going back to the 9 mm for ammo cost and the fact that it is a NATO round, and that modern powders have increased the effectiveness of the round, that does not negate the 40 cal as a good round. .40 is more expensive and is slightly more effective than the 9mm. On the up side, many stores still had .40 in stock after the 9mm was wiped out. At the end of the day, they are both great calibers, and how much can money can you actually loose an a great gun (M&P) that you only spent $250 on? For cripes sake, for &250, it will make a fantastic “truck gun”.... just my humble opinion...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts