MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what makes a handgun "California Compliant?" I always figured it was just a max ten round capacity but I was cruising through some sites looking at 1911s and they had some but not all of their guns listed as California compliant. Does anyone know what this means? I was planning on taking my M&P 45 with me when I travel there on business (it unfortunately has to stay at my hotel as I can't carry) and I was wondering if it's cali compliant.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
If you're just visiting I don't think it matters. The CA approved list just shows what guns are approved for sale. Not all my guns are CA approved, but they are still legal. IANAL, so don't take my word for it. I live here, I don't visit here, so my understanding of how our laws may affect you as a visitor may be way off. If you register at www.calccw.com and ask there you WILL get answers to your questions that you can trust.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
thedude said:
I was wondering if it's cali compliant.
I'm not a lawyer either but what Chooch said is true. California compliant just means that it's on an approved list for sale. Weapon makers have to pay an independent test lab demonstrate that each weapon offered for sale meets or exceeds California standards for safety and reliability.

The three things that I do know will get you into trouble are carrying your weapon, bringing high capacity magazines into the state, or bringing in anything that looks aggressive or assault weaponish. If driving the pistol must be in a locked container, preferably in the trunk but at least inaccessible to the driver or passengers. It must be unloaded with the ammunition stored separately, and no magazines may be loaded.

I'd suggest leaving your weapon at home if you are staying at a hotel because it will probably get stolen if left in the room.

On a different, more gun friendly note. Nearly every year a southern California range puts on a shooting fair. It's usually the weekend before Memorial Day. Most of the major manufacturers show up and you can shoot (yup it's hands on) just about anything legal for the price of the ammunition. A real hands on try out everything event. A great event to put on your calendar. I go every year.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Check out http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/

I believe one of their big things now is that you can not 'import' a firearm or magazine into the state that is not on the list, and travelling, if only temporary, is bringing it in.

I purchased firearms in CA (back in the day) that would be exempt (grand fathered), but I couldn't bring/get that same one there now.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Check with the folks at http://www.CalGuns.net and they will point you in the right direction. As far as I know, the M&P is fine.

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/travel.php

HANDGUNS

California Penal Code section 12025 does not prevent a citizen of the United States over 18 years of age who is not lawfully prohibited from firearm possession, and who resides or is temporarily in California, from transporting by motor vehicle any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person provided the firearm is unloaded and stored in a locked container.

The term "locked container" means a secure container which is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device. This includes the trunk of a motor vehicle, but does not include the utility or glove compartment. For more information, refer to California Penal Code Section 12026.1.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
snw19 said:
I believe one of their big things now is that you can not 'import' a firearm or magazine into the state that is not on the list, and travelling, if only temporary, is bringing it in.
Correction. You may not import an unapproved handgun for sale. Magazines are another matter. Any highcap that wasn't already in your possession and in the state is forbidden as is transfer or sale in state. Interestingly if you have high caps you can take them out of state while on vacation and then bring them back in as long as you are still a resident.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Grimwulff said:
[quote name='choochboost']IANAL

[/quote]

Don't be alarmed, its an acronym for"I am not a lawyer."

greatzippy said:
[quote name='snw19']Check out http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/

i have no clue on CA laws to be honest but the one thing I know for sure (or at least 95% sure) is that no semi-auto can be sold without the mag disconnect. If you look at the list of Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale you can find the M&P 9, 40, and 45 (both full & compact) listed but all have the mag safety.[/quote]

That is true as of this year. You could have bought a M&P last Christmas without the mag safety.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
choochboost said:
[quote name='greatzippy'][quote name='snw19']Check out http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/

i have no clue on CA laws to be honest but the one thing I know for sure (or at least 95% sure) is that no semi-auto can be sold without the mag disconnect. If you look at the list of Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale you can find the M&P 9, 40, and 45 (both full & compact) listed but all have the mag safety.[/quote]

That is true as of this year. You could have bought a M&P last Christmas without the mag safety.[/quote]Almost. What the law states is that no weapon can be placed on the approved list without a mag safety. Any weapon approved before the law became effective is grandfathered in until their approval expires. That's why you can walk into a gun shop and buy a 1911 or an XD without mag safety. S&W just waited too long to apply.

·
Registered
55 Posts
What about the internal locks? I thought one of the reason that S&W revolvers now have that blasted internal lock was for CA approval, same with the M&Ps being offered with a lock. Wasn't that for CA or was it some other state?

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
sholling said:
[quote name='choochboost']

[quote name='greatzippy'][quote name='snw19']Check out http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/

That is true as of this year. You could have bought a M&P last Christmas without the mag safety.[/quote]Almost. What the law states is that no weapon can be placed on the approved list without a mag safety. Any weapon approved before the law became effective is grandfathered in until their approval expires. That's why you can walk into a gun shop and buy a 1911 or an XD without mag safety. S&W just waited too long to apply.[/quote]

The M&P9mm (with MS) was on the list prior to the mag safety becoming a requirement in 2007, so if S&W they had submitted the no MS version, that would have been grandfathered in.

I hate it when I add to internet gun forum rumor mill. :oops:

snw19 said:
What about the internal locks? I thought one of the reason that S&W revolvers now have that blasted internal lock was for CA approval, same with the M&Ps being offered with a lock. Wasn't that for CA or was it some other state?
Nope. You can't blame us for that one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts