MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Up here in Canada .40 cal is hard to get lately. I was thinking of using a .22 just to get my speed and accuracy up. I'm thinking maybe a decent weight and size aproximating my M&P. Does anyone have any ideas on this subject.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I don't think any 22 pistols will come close to the weight of a full-sized center fire. A revolver maybe. I use a Walther P22. Not the most accurate, but after some minor ameteur gunsmithing and testing several types of ammo, mine is fairly reliable.

The Sig Mosquito is supposed to be good. Its also probably the closest physical resemblance to the M&P.

http://www.sigarms.com/Products/ShowCatalo...mp;productid=98

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
www.rimfirecentral.com They are great folks and willing to help you with the right rimfire for you. I would recommend the Ruger MKIII 22/45, it has the same grip as a 1911, and the bull barrel has about the same weight as most 1911. The Sig mosquito is a newcomer to the rimfire world, but speak volumes about the RD that folks need in rimfire practice weapon. If it were me, I would go with the Ruger, just to many option and accessories to name.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
There are a couple companies making "top" ends for 1911's and Glocks. No M&P yet! But the Glock is an interesting idea, just put on the 22 and shoot!

·
Registered
269 Posts
I've heard lots of issues with the sig mosquito...

I love my ruger 22/45. the grip is very similar to a 1911 so it has the same angle as our M&P's

I need to get a holster and mag pouch for mine so I can do some speed drills with it. Mine is a bit front heavy though with the bull barrel

·
Registered
319 Posts
get 9mm. They are still cheapest centerfire ammo

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'd probably avoid the Beretta Neos. Used them before and wasn't impressed. I like the Ruger as well, but the Sig and Kimber seem like they'd be better stand-ins for our M&Ps. Serious $$ though.

·
Registered
167 Posts
+1 on the conversion kit if you already have a 1911A1. The 1911 and the M&P are as close to equal as you'll get in lots of ways. I've been dreaming of a .22 LR conversion for the M&P. . . . then again, I've been dreaming of lots of dream guns.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Check out the CZ Kadet .22lr pistol, or buy a CZ 75/85 or an SP01 model, and then buy the Kadet .22lr conversion slide for it. I own a CZ with the conversion slide, and it is reliable and accurate, not to mention that it feels realistic to shoot when mounted on your CZ 9mm or .40 pistol frame.

The new issue of Shooting Illustrated magazine (I read it from a rack at a local store, don't have it here with me) has a review of leading .22 conversion slides from companies including Advantage Arms, Kimber, Glock, and the CZ Kadet. The Kadet came out with the best accuracy based on an average of multiple 5-shot groups at 25 yards, with several leading ammo types, although one of the Advantage units was a very close 2nd. That doesn't surprise me, as I've found the Kadet to be the most accurate .22lr pistol I've owned.

I have to say, that if a .22 conversion unit for the M&P existed, I'd buy and use it in a heartbeat. But until that's available, or as a very nice-shooting alternative, you may want to at least consider the CZ Kadet pistol or the conversion unit.

Here's a picture of the full Kadet pistol. The conversion unit, mounted on a CZ 75/85 or SP01 frame, looks similar.

·
Registered
223 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have a Ruger Mk.I, Colt Woodsman, Ciener M1911 Conversion. Ruger and Colt both shoot 10 shot 1/2 inch groups at 50 feet. The Ciener conversion shoots a 6 inch "pattern" at 50 feet. I bought the Ciener conversion for the same reasons you are looking for. So that I could practice using my full size frame/triggerpull/safety for speed drills. Turned out to be pretty disappointing.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
I would not recommend a .22 for practicing speed work. Learning to shoot fast is about (1) sight tracking, (2) recoil management, and (3) learning what makes for an acceptable sight picture for each particular shot.

The .22 won't give you any kind of challenge for (1) or (2) and therefore makes (3) a non-issue. The result is that you'll pull the trigger really fast and get hits ... but won't be able to repeat that performance with a combat caliber.

A .22 conversion kit is a great thing for working on marksmanship, gun handling (presentation, possibly reloads depending on the magazine design), shooting on the move, etc. But for speed work, it will just give you a false sense of accomplishment.

·
Registered
304 Posts

+1 on the Buckmark. I have found that running the basic drills with the Buckmark first makes for more effective range time with the M&P. I'm not saying the Buckmark, or any 22, is a substitute, but "perfecting your shooting basics" is still "perfecting your shooting basics" no matter what caliber you are shooting. Might as well do it on the cheap. Not to mention 22 pistols (especaily the Buckmark) are just plain fun to shoot.

As for speed drills ToddG knows way more than me, but I disagree that speed drills with a 22 is not a useful or a challenge...of course my opinion may be biased by my low jackrabbit/22 pistol kill ratio

·
Registered
873 Posts
The .22 conversion kit for your M&P is just the ticket!

Oh, wait.....

.....there isn't a .22 conversion kit for your M&P.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts