MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can I stipple my cerakoted M&P?

I have a S&W M&P 9 that was cerakoted od green on the frame. I have been stippling backstraps and some magazines and am feeling confident enough to take the plunge on stippling my pistol. But before I do it I want to get some feedback on stippling something that is already cerakoted. My thought is the black would show through. I have no experience with this and if I could get some that would be great.
Thanks

·
Site Staff
2,805 Posts
Black will show.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I had my parts stippled prior to duracoat, I know it's not the same coating but doing it this way will give you the desired results.

·
Registered
8,322 Posts
The Ceracoat is a harder finish than the polymer, which can withstand higher temperatures, so it'll probably crack, split, and delaminate as you heat the polymer underneath. It's not likely you'll end up with something you're gonna be proud of, unless oddly eclectic is your goal.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I would NOT do it. I've tried before. I stipple and sell these items. I've tried painting the black grip first using Aluma Hyde II paint (I let it sit for a week to cure) then stippled the grip. Looked like crap. The paint comes off on my wood burning tool and makes a mess.

Had a black grip cerakoted desert tan...then I got it back and stippled it. Same thing with a bit less mess. Waste of my money.

Like we say in the Army..."it briefs well".

·
Registered
180 Posts
I had my parts stippled prior to duracoat, I know it's not the same coating but doing it this way will give you the desired results.

I REALLY like that color. Did you send in your whole gun and tell them to cerakote specific pieces? Really impressed.

·
Registered
8,322 Posts
Did you send in your whole gun and tell them to cerakote specific pieces?
The frame is not coated, no reason to burden yourself with the inflated shipping if you're not sending the serial numbered part.

Besides, it's Duracoat which can be done almost as well at home, Ceracoat not so much, unless you spend a considerable amount on the required equipment.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have been using Cerakote for about three years. I have a blasting cabinet, airbrushes and various sprayers and do it all in my garage.

I started refinishing with KG Gunkote. I tried Duracoat for about three months then graduated to Cerakote. In my humble opinion, Duracoat is not much better than rattle can spray, too thick and easily chipped.

You will be fine. You will just burn through the Cerakote. It is only a spray on coating, it is not bullet proof, can be sanded off, and will wear like anything else.

Stipple, lightly sand the surface and re-apply Cerakote. PM me if you have any questions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts