MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty straightforward question. I know you can remove the safeties on M&P 9c's that came with one, but can you add one to a pistol that came from the factory without a safety? AKA I bought a 9c that came without a safety from the factory. Can I put one on it later if I decide I want one?

This is the first firearm I've ever bought without an actual safety on it. I've heard all kinds of stuff about striker fire pistols being "idiot proof" with their special triggers, but all the same, I'd rather be safe than sorry (heh). Plus, I'm a big fan of the type of safety these pistols use, reminds me of a cz 82 or a 1911.

So does anybody know if you can do this? I would've bought one with a safety on it to begin with, but my local funstore didn't have one with a safety on it, and I couldn't find one nearby for near the price the local store had it (as in, at least a 100 dollar difference).

·
Registered
73 Posts
Awesome good to know I would like to do this to which ever m&p I decided to keep, neither have a safety and I'm sick of carrying on amber status

·
Registered
508 Posts
Mine came with one, but I'd like to make it a little more stiff. It's not too loose right now but I can see it getting that way overtime. Seems like I read a thread on here about adding in some longer springs or something.....

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Mine came with one, but I'd like to make it a little more stiff. It's not too loose right now but I can see it getting that way overtime. Seems like I read a thread on here about adding in some longer springs or something.....
Using a small round file on the notch of the safety lever where it engages the detent can impart a more positive feel to the safety.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Using a small round file on the notch of the safety lever where it engages the detent can impart a more positive feel to the safety.
Jason, thank you for this information. I hate to sound really ignorant, although I am when it comes to this stuff, but can you please explain where this area is? Is that near the center of the "horseshoe" trigger bracket?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Anyone know where to find and how much one of these safetys cost, I want one

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright thanks for the quick responses guys. The pistol is currently on layaway so I can't check it right now but I should be going in to put down another payment soon so I'll see if it has a hole for a safety then.

here's hoping it does.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Looks like I know what I'm ordering next week! It'll be nice to have a safety, thanks guys
Mrmousaffa I bet you can't wait to bring it home, welcome to the m&p world, what caliber did you go with

·
Registered
508 Posts
I noticed that all of the M&P models at our local store have the safety notch out in them. I wasn't really sure about getting mine with a safety at first, but still being relatively new to conceal carry, I'm gad I did now. Good luck with adding yours.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks like I know what I'm ordering next week! It'll be nice to have a safety, thanks guys
Mrmousaffa I bet you can't wait to bring it home, welcome to the m&p world, what caliber did you go with
Very excited. I did a lot searching, and it beat out all competitors as far as my inexperienced opinion was concerned. It just felt natural, felt really well built, and had a good capacity (went with 9mm, kind of thinking I should have went with the 40. with the way ammo is right now though)

It's my first handgun, so I had to pick something that would be comfortable at the range for practice as well as concealable, and nothing else really matched it. Hopefully I can find some cheap 9mm to practice.

If I can put a safety onto it at will that'll just be icing on the cake. To be honest the only reason I want it so bad was that I was a boy scout with a troop that did a lot of shooting. Boy scouts are safety nazis in the extreme, so it feels very odd to hold a firearm that doesn't have one built in haha.
The fact that it'll probably cost $30 all told to get everything I need for it is nice as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts