MP-Pistol Forum banner

Can you shoot different calibers with just a barrel swap?

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Jefs 
#1 ·
Hello folks, this looks to be a good forum and I've a question as my first post. I've ordered a M&Pc in .40 w/ night sights and want to know if I'll be able to shoot 357 SIG out of this gun with just a barrel swap like I do with my glock G27. I noticed M&Pc's all have identical dimensions but differing weights: 9mm - 21.7oz, .40 - 21.9oz, 357 SIG 22.2oz (I expected a greater diff between the 9mm and .40 than between the 357 SIG and .40, hmm.), so would those in the know please advise me on this score. Also, does there exist a good one-stop shopping site for OEM and aftermarket parts/accessories for M&P or S&W (other than S&W itself) like there is for glocks (Lone Wolf Distributors).

Thanks,

Jefs

Side Note: I just picked up an H&K P2000 SK and noticed that the owner's manual shows identical dimensions for all three calibers, but the 9mm and 357 SIG weighs 24oz, and the .40 26 oz.

#4 ·
I appreciate the info, guys. I amm pleased I can swap between .40S&W & 357 SIG, guys. I'm looking forward to getting the M&Pc, since I've heard good things about them and it's pretty close in size to a glock G26/G27 which is what I CCW. I usually buy a gun in either [.40S&W/357 SIG] or 9mm and if I like it I get the other caliber in the same gun.

#5 ·
Just got back from the gun shop where I'd ordered the M&Pc .40 with night sights, and shop guy said you couldn't order them with night sights. So, I told them to put some on (they had Trijicons) and I'd come back later to pick it up. Later, I thought to myself "...hmm, if I'm going to shoot both .40 and 357 SIG I should order the 357 SIG since the two versions differ a little weight 357 - 22.2oz, .40 21.9." I went back to tell them to put the night sights on a 357 SIG if they had one, and the guy told me that only the .40S&W and 9mm were out and not the 357 SIG. Hmmm. You can't order M&Pc .40 with night sights, and M&P 357 SIG isn't out, yet? Is this true?

#7 ·
Thanks for the thoughts, jtaliani. Neither claim sounds right to me, particularly the 'no night sights' statement and the guys may be trying to push what they have on the shelf although they've ordered several guns for me before and I am a good customer.

#9 ·
Got the definitive word from the horse's mouth. I called S&W customer service and the cs guy told me that the M&Pc in 357 SIG was not out (it's out in a couple of months) and also that you could not, in fact, order the .40M&Pc with night sights, so my gun shop guys were giving the straight truth. It makes me feel good that the gun shop guys were honest.

#10 ·
Good to know. I wonder why they would have that option on the fullsize but not on the compact. I find this particularly perplexing due to the increased liklihood that the compact will be used for CCW. Personally, I use tritium on my compacts and a fiber optic on the fullsize.

#11 ·
Yeah, I was really surprised that you couldn't order them with night sights. Now here's another thing I just noticed. On Saturday, June 2, I hit S&W's web site to see if they listed night sights as an option on the gun and the web site showed an option for 'Tritium sights' or 'Trit sights' (I can't remember the exact wording, but I'm sure it clearly indicated Tritium night sights), so that is what I asked for. The gun shop guy looked in the display case, and said "Nope I don't see any with night sights", so I asked him if he'd order one with night sights for me and he said he sure would. When I stopped in earlier today, he said he called S&W to order and was told you couldn't order one with ns. Now, I check S&W's web site, and, lo and behold, there is no longer a tritium sight offered, so they've change the site:

40 S&W M&P Compact Pistols

109003: 10 Rd, Mag Safety, Int Lock, Std Sights, 2 Mags

109203: 10 Rd, Mag Safety, Std Sights, 2 Mags (California Compliant)

109253: 10 Rd, Mag Safety, 10 lb Trig., Std Sights, 2 Mags

109303: 10 Rd, Std Sights, 2 Mags

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/sto...amp;isFirearm=Y

Well, I'm glad the web site reflects the reality now.

#12 ·
To clarify the night sight issue, i found out a few months ago that the compact with night site are Law enforcement only basically
I was in Stiechers and they stock bothe the full size and compact with night sights, and it was there i found out that because they basically are known for selling guns to L.E Only that is the reason they have the compact with night sights. The guy hummed and Hahhed about selling me one but since i work Armed Security if i brought in my company bag saying i was armed they would sell me one.

#13 ·
Thanks for the clarification concerning the LEO orientation. I guess I discounted the 'Millitary and Police' part and figured they were just like the glocks, sigs, h&k's with which I was already familiar. S&W is going to be at my local gun shop (it's a big shop) next week (they're doing free action jobs on any revolvers purchased) and I'll ask the guys if they see expanding to the civilian mkt and offering compacts with night sights.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.