MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize the differences between the two rounds (.40 vs. .45) but what I'm looking at is the difference when conceal carrying. I'm currently comparing the .40c and the .45c with the likely hood of buying a IWB holster such as Crossbreed, White Hat Holsters, Galco Kingtuck, etc...

I know the round count, length and weight would be different but what about the grip. Everyone either online or in the store tell me that it's more about the grip height than the length. Not that it matters with the M&P line except the shield, but I am a southpaw.

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
M&P 45c has a great grip, comparable in size to a Glock 19 without the blockiness. For my large hands the 40C w/Crimson Trace and pinky extention works very well and the part of the grip that causes the most printing is smaller (comparatively).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@KRWeiss

Are you talking about the M&P 45c or regular 45 when compared to the Glock? Also, have you handled the Springfield XDm 3.8 45acp? What are your thoughts on that?

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
Also, have you handled the Springfield XDm 3.8 45acp?
I've handled a few XD/HS2000 pistols and don't care for the high bore axis or the extra safeties. Don't think I've handled the XDm 3.8 specifically, but I could be wrong on that.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Ballistics, round count and dimensions aside, one thing to think about is the M&P40c can be easily swapped to 357 SIG or 9mm. For converting to 357 SIG you only need a compact 357 SIG barrel, your options are S&W, KKM Precision & Storm Lake Barrels. As for converting to 9mm you'll want a "9mm conversion barrel" from KKM Precision or Storm Lake Barrels and how ever many 9mm magazines you thin you will want.

Anther thing to consider going for the 40c over the 45c is most of the parts for the are available 40c through retailers, that is not the case with the 45.

Here is one plus for the 45c, it has an accessory rail long enough to make use of full size weapon lights unlike the 40.

Good luck making your decision, get the one that best suits you. :yes

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your comments. Choosing a gun has been harder than buying a car...or even finding a wife!!! http://mp-pistol.com/images/smilies/lol.gif

I love the M&P line, but I also like my dad's XD9 Subcompact. I just think it's a bit heavy and bulkier to carry than the M&P 9c or 40c. Now the new XDm .45acp 3.8" Compact looks enticing. Almost the same size as the M&P 40c.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I edc a 45 1911, id go 40 and get a 9mm barrel!! the FS FDE 45 I have is pretty sweet

·
Registered
14 Posts
Have had a couple xd/xdm's. Won't go back. The m&p beats it out in every aspect IMHO. I vote for the .40 bc of the options and the 45 is a tad wider I believe

·
Registered
6 Posts
I carry my full size 45 off duty/concealed. I find no problems as long as you dress correctly. Oversize shirts with prints and patterns to break up the outline.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: 3rd party barrels

I've heard through other forums and of course the gun shops that swapping barrels have certain issues with the function of the gun. Is this true? What does the .357sig shoot like? Snappy like a .40 or more like a 9 or 45?

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
My 45c hides quite nicely in a Galco Summer Comfort IWB holster and has a great grip. The slightly longer grip is much more comfortable and controlable to me than the smaller grip of 9c and 40c. YMMV

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've got the M&P 40c with a Storm Lake 9mm conversion with a CT added. A great weapon! I use it CCW when it's not 90+ out (I use my Sig P238 for the real hot days or deep cover). I also own the XDm 3.8 45C. A nice weapon but it just feels so much bigger in a cc scenario. I notice it a lot more when carrying all day. It has become a HD weapon as opposed to a cc. I do like the XDm 3.8 9mm compact for carry though.

But at the end of the day, my weapon of choice is my M&P 40c in either it's original configuration or with the 9mm conversion.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts