MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a couple years of no problems, all of a sudden the slide won't come off my very early M&P40. With the sear lever down and the take down lever down, it'll move forward about an eighth to a quarter inch and stop completely, no problem snapping it back into place and putting both levers back were they belong. Everything else functions fine. Ideas?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Good chance your RSA is off center, that can make it hard to get the slide off, even when you do everything else right for take down.
My Shield .45 slide was hard to take off. I noticed the RSA was barely long enough/strong enough to stay in it's notch.
Called S&W and they sent me another, no charge. I got it yesterday and put it in, it has quite a bit more tension and or length than the old one. Stays in much firmer.
I bought the gun used earlier this year, but it looked new, round count was pretty low before I got it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good thought sandog, I'll check that, I have a G33 and the RSA is always slipping out of it's spot, forgot about that possibility

·
Registered
507 Posts
The sear deactivation lever can slip off center and not move the sear properly. Try dry firing (make SURE it's really dry) the gun after opening the take down lever and dropping the slide.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Yeah, I never use that little lever. I mentioned on S&W forum that I pull the trigger (after making sure it's unloaded)),
to remove the slide. I was told how irresponsible I was for advocating a "dangerous" practice on a forum.
I guess there is always some guy that will do that with a loaded gun. If someone is taking apart their pistol to clean it and doesn't bother to unload it first, maybe they should take up another hobby.

·
Registered
433 Posts
sandog, that's the way I've always done it. If dry firing is a safe training/familiarization practice (which it most certainly is) then what's wrong with doing this to facilitate field stripping? Not a darn thing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts