MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here I go again. I couldn't get the .40 to improve enough to suit me (group size) even with the Storm Lake barrel, the Apex trigger and trigger kit and a couple of load work up attempts.

So, I would have taken either (I think) a .40 or a 9MM kit but I ran across the 9MM kit at a decent price first. I'll put the slide kit on the M&P .40 frame as it already has the Apex trigger stuff in it.

We'll see.

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
What would you consider a satisfactory outcome?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I could get it to shoot similar groups to my P07 or P09 I'd be extremely happy.

If I can get it to shoot like the P01, or the M&P 2.0 .45 does, I'd still be happy with it.

I really like the way the M&Ps feel in my hand. I like the safeties, I like the way they look, I just want to be able to shoot good groups with them. I know, "good groups" is different person to person.

Even the Shield 9MM pistols we have shoot better groups than the 1.0 (4&1/4" barrel) and 2.0 (5" barrel) M&P 9MM pistols I have. The 5" is bigger than I'll try to conceal carry but I'd carry it around my property and carry it to the range to shoot. I just like the way they feel/look and keep spending money trying to replace triggers, barrels, find ammo that makes them shoot better for me.

If it shoots good enough, it'll get a red dot (probably a Holoson) on it as soon as it proves itself. Plan to put in on the 1.0 .40 frame as that one has all the Apex trigger parts in it (including the Apex trigger). The .40 slide/Storm Lake barrel will go in the box.

If it works out, I'll start looking for a PC slide kit in .40.

I have several S&W revolvers from the 80's and was always happy with them. That 6" 586 is still the most accurate .357 I've ever shot. It's 40 years old this year. Hell, now I'm feeling old.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got it late yesterday. Grabbed the old 1.0 M&P and removed the slide.

The kits don't have a recoil spring assembly. Grabbed the assembly from the 1.0 slide and installed it in the 5" PC slide. Put it on the frame. Looks good, too.

Has a pack of red dot mounting plates (haven't looked through those yet).

Ordered an Apex trigger (my other M&Ps have apex triggers so I might as well keep the consistent as to feel) and recoil spring assembly last night.

Gotta get to the range. If I remember correctly from 10 years ago the full sized 9MM seemed to do best with 147 grain ammo. I know the 115's that do really well in my CZs don't do so well in the original 1.0 9MM I have. And the 147's don't do so well in the CZs. Just the way it is. I need to remember to take a box of the Winchester 124 grain FMJ NATO ammo, too. The 2.0 5" FDE shot it's best groups with that ammo

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Grabbed the smaller model of Holoson red dot (don't remember the model number) yesterday and the box the kit came in and headed inside to see about installing the red dot and the correct plate on the slide.

Well, the box has no guide sheet/list to tell me which of the 5 sight plates to use for any red dot sight.

And, the small Holoson (the one for compact pistols/narrow slides) doesn't match/fit any of the 5 supplied plates.

I've been through a few pages of internet searches for a list of which plate for which sight and haven't found it yet. I did see that the 2.0's come with a list/chart in the box with the pistol (the 2.0 PC pistols, not the kits).

Anyone got a link to a chart? Thanks.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
An arfcom member shared this in response to my question over there. In case anyone can use the info.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ordered an MCarbo spring kit for the 1.0 9MM the other day. Maybe I'll get it today. Left FL by FedEx last week. Sat in Concord, NC for 4 days. Left there and went right past me up to Hagerstown, MD. Then over to Martinsburg, WV. Then back to Hagerstown. Then back to Martinsburg. Then back to Hagerstown. Finally down to Ashland, VA about 30 miles north of me. Delivery was last Saturday. Then Monday. Then Wednesday. Finally it's supposed to be today.

I plan to measure trigger pull before/after. Hope I can do something with feel, too, as far as quantifying it. Then I need to get it to the range next week and try it out. Looks way different with the 5" slide on it. Hopefully it will feel different/better with the Apex trigger and MCarbo spring kit and shoot better, too. Holding off on ordering a Holoson red dot for it (the RMR pattern model) till I get a range trip or two on it and see if it's worth it as a carry gun around my home (outside when doing chores, walking the dog, working on the truck - got some cars and an SUV but that darn Chevy truck is jealous of my time, money and effort and requires a lot of each of those.)

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got the MCarbo spring kit a couple days ago. The Apex trigger's been waiting a week or so longer.

Measured the trigger pull at 5&1/4 lbs. before I started.

Up front, the parts in the bottom (sear and trigger bar had been polished a few years back (along with the dog leg/bottom of the striker and the bottom edge/corner of the striker block). The slide parts were polished - in the original slide.

After measuring the trigger pull I took it apart. Slide first. Replaced the striker block spring and the striker spring. The McCarbo spring was way longer than the spring in the new PC slide. I put the MCarbo striker spring in anyway as it's part of the kit. Laid the slide down and went to work on the frame.

No real issues getting the frame stripped down. A pile of issues getting it back together. Inability to get the trigger pin back in was frustrating the crap out of me. Lost track of how many time I got it started, only to have to pull it back out and grab the supplied dummy pin (from the MCarbo kit). Then it hit me, the Apex trigger came with a dummy pin. And it's DIFFERENT!!! The MCarbo dummy pin was flat cut on both ends and slightly smaller in diameter than the Apex dummy pin. The Apex dummy pin is also rounded on one end.

That rounded end and the slightly larger diameter made all the difference in the world. First try with the Apex pin and the trigger pin went right in just like it should. Got the frame all together and put the slide on it and measured the trigger pull. Five and 1/8 lbs. Huh?? Five and 1/4 lbs. to five and 1/8 lbs? It was supposed to be more reduction than that. I'd put the trigger return spring in it from the kit as well as the sear spring. I might go back to the factory trigger return spring but after the trouble I had getting it back together that's an unpleasant thought.

I put the factory striker spring back in (easy to do and a quick check) and measured the trigger pull again. Dropped from a straight/even 5 lbs. That longer spring in the MCarbo kit possibly was stronger, too.

Not an M&P expert by any means. Are the PC slide kit striker springs lighter than the standard model striker springs?

And then it hit me, even though the original slide had polished parts, the PC slide did not. I had not polished the contact surfaces on the striker (where it contacts the sear). That should be easy enough to do since the striker is so easy to remove. Just gotta get in from outside in time to do it.

There is no grit, drag, scruffy spots in the trigger pull. Pull it to the wall and it stops. It's almost like it's not moving (it's so smooth) but you can see it does move. Once it hits the wall it stops moving to the rear, till you get 5 lbs. of pull on it and then it releases the striker. Nice and crisp.

Absolutely no reset feel or sound. I dry fired it multiple times, held the trigger back and cocked the striker with the slide rearward movement and not once did I feel or hear the sear reset. The 2.0 spoils you on that.

Oh, did I say the striker block was very nicely rounded/polished - like an Apex striker block.

I need to get that thing to the range so bad. Even with the heavier than I'd like trigger pull it's smooth/crisp enough that shouldn't hurt my shooting. Just gotta go do it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts