MP-Pistol Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, The title tells most the problem. I have a new M&P 2.0 9mm Compact, 4" barrel. Being from Maryland it came with 10 round mags. Can't load by hand spring way to tight so I bought a MagLula loader. Only loads 9 rounds. Are my mags bad? Please note I have a Ruger Security 9 with 10 round mags and have know problem loading them full with MagLuLa. Thanks for any help

·
Registered
139 Posts
Once in awhile a mag gets assembled with the spring installed backwards. It might be worth the effort to check that out.

Reactions: PaPow

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Load 9 rounds and then smack them hard in the palm of your hand to help settle the rounds inside the mag. After that the 10th round should go in. It`ll be a little hard at first because its still new and tight, but they will eventually loosen up a little.
I would load them and let them sit a few days. Once you do that, should become easier. Or just load 9 rounds and shoot a couple hundred rounds thru the gun. Should be ok after that.

I would follow post #2 as well just to make sure the springs are installed correctly. Piece of mind.

·
Registered
462 Posts
My 10-round .45 mags were almost impossible to load initially, but after a while it became easier. Once you actually get 10 in, and let it sit for a while, the spring must relax or align itself better.

At first I would swear it wasn't going to take all 10.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I had that problem with my M&P 40 Compact initially. Using the Magpul I finally got the 10 rounds loaded. I would spend some time each day loading & unloading mags (I have 3) until I could do it by hand even though it was still hard (& painful, LOL). I also have some 40 cal 15 round mags for my full size M&P. I use 2 of them for my 40C. Since I bought that pistol used from a police buy back they were well broken in. I still use the Magpul for loading at the range. It's much faster.

·
Registered
17 Posts
i have a few aftermarket 10 rd mags,, forget the name,,,,i can load 10 in them without a huge aount of problem,,, all t he factory mags i have i cant get the last rd in them for anything,,,, time to get the sledge hammer out,,LOL

·
Registered
592 Posts
Id take it apart and clean/dri lune that sucker.
Only use will break-in the spring no amount of sitting loaded will matter. Springs need to exercise to wear/weaken.

And with an UpLuLa you “should”be able to get numero diez

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
I recently bought two new 17 round mags from Brownells. They were OEM S&W mags sealed in the original packaging.

There were very hard to get the first round in, harder than normal. I took them apart and the spring was not properly attached to the grey follower. At the bottom of the follower is a small hole that the top of the spring goes into. You need to use needle nose pliers to get the spring in the hole but it will not come out without some effort after that.

Anyhow I got the spring set in the hole and this allowed the spring to sit more flush with the bottom of the follower, shortening the total length of follower plus spring when inserted into the magazine body. This made a big difference and went from really hard to normal hard for the first round on a new mag.

Basically whomever put the magazine together at S&W did not attach the spring to the follower and just dropped in the follower and mashed the spring in behind it.

·
Site Staff
9,636 Posts
Basically whomever put the magazine together at S&W did not attach the spring to the follower and just dropped in the follower and mashed the spring in behind it.
S&W doesn't make the magazines, they are made by a sub contractor, a well known company that makes magazines for Beretta and a number of other gun makers. Their name escapes me at this moment.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Yup, it's an Italian company whose name also escapes me. But they make magazines for an incredible number of guns.

I did a 'net search... Mec-Gar. It's Italian for "most of the time we make really good stuff".

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I thought I'd post back. Gave up after unknown rounds down range and sent mags back to S&W. Tried all suggestions here but had no success. Yes, even a big hammer! I could see half of the 9th round in the 10 round window. S&W said send them back and I did. Haven't gotten them back yet. I'll post back when I have them. Thanks for the posts, Butch

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello, The title tells most the problem. I have a new M&P 2.0 9mm Compact, 4" barrel. Being from Maryland it came with 10 round mags. Can't load by hand spring way to tight so I bought a MagLula loader. Only loads 9 rounds. Are my mags bad? Please note I have a Ruger Security 9 with 10 round mags and have know problem loading them full with MagLuLa. Thanks for any help
Once in awhile a mag gets assembled with the spring installed backwards. It might be worth the effort to check that out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought 2 new magazines from Ruger, P91, .40 cal. The first I had to use mechanics gloves to load the 10th round. The second I had to use the gloves for the 9th round. Followed you advice, and took it apart, and I had to straighten this spring out at the top.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts