MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Questions for all of you. How do you care for your daily carry gun?

I heard a few things like people should clean their gun once a week, even if it was not used.

And another thing I heard was to use grease instead of oil for lubrication. That way the lube won't simply run out of the gun. What kind of grease should I use?

Please add any thoughts and ideas.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
frequency of cleaning is determined by use and exposure. Carry guns will collect dust, dirt, lint, body oils, etc. so keeping it clean is important. I "inspect" mine once a week or as needed if I have to tuck it under a seat temporarily. Just field strip it and make sure it is clean, then function test and holster!! I don't like grease!! I use "Breakfree" on my carry guns. I do not want something that gels up or thickens based on temps. JMHO!!

·
Registered
367 Posts
I clean mine after every range trip or two if I'm lazy. I go to the range at least once a week, anywhere from 50-300 rounds per trip. I've heard somepeople say they clean theirs once a week and only shoot once every 3 months. I'd rather spend my time practicing. The range where I shoot only cleans the rentals when they stop working which is a very long time with most of them.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I stripe and clean mine about 2 times a month. I usually use a tooth brush just to brush off the lint once a week. Usually the cleaning is just after the range. I try to hit the range at least once a month.

·
Registered
380 Posts
every night, when i disarm for bed time, i wipe the gun down to remove body oils, dirt, etc.

twice a week or so, i'll feild strip it to make sure moisture isnt causing any problems, lint or dirt problems, make sure it's still well lubed... etc.

i use grease instead of oil. i like that it sits in place. i love break-free, but i find it dosent sit where i want it all the time... so i switched to grease. RiG, i believe it's called. good stuff.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Care of carry weapon

Do a search for "Steel Shield" products and look at "Weapon Shield". I can't put the link here as this is my first post and forum rules don't allow me to do it yet. Maybe someone else here can post the link for you. Anyhow, I have and use Weapon Shield and can attest to it's virtues.

This is really great stuff. I feel how often you clean is dictated by the conditions and use the gun sees. However, "Weapon Shield" is great for long term protection and periodic clean/lube purposes.

Good luck with whatever you ultimately decide to do.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Always after the range which is once a week, and several times a week at night or after it gets soaked with rain or sweat with Break Free on the outside for a quick wipe down. The after range cleaning is so thorough that nothing ever really builds up anywhere on the inside. This is the Southwest Florida swamp climate, and I like to keep it perfectly clean and oiled. It's worth the time to keep it in such a condition, as you can better rely on a a weapon that is regularly used and cleaned. The action gets cycled, and in the process of picking out the smaller deposits, the insides get inspected.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts