MP-Pistol Forum banner
41 - 58 of 58 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Running with Federal Tactical HST 124gr, love it.

· Registered
402 Posts
Buy at least one box ( preferably more) of each kind of SD ammo you are considering. Shoot them all and determine which one cycles the most reliably and is accurate. Then use that.

Don't get hung up on some prosecutor or lawyer picking apart the ammo you use. It's off the shelf self defense ammo. You bought it for self defense. You're talking about your life here. Using inferior ammo to protect life is stupid. Period. And I would like to see some evidence of one single case where an otherwise good shoot resulted in a conviction or judgement against someone in a self defense case because of what type of ammo you were using. I'll wait.

· Registered
9 Posts
Buy at least one box ( preferably more) of each kind of SD ammo you are considering. Shoot them all and determine which one cycles the most reliably and is accurate. Then use that.

Don't get hung up on some prosecutor or lawyer picking apart the ammo you use. It's off the shelf self defense ammo. You bought it for self defense. You're talking about your life here. Using inferior ammo to protect life is stupid. Period. And I would like to see some evidence of one single case where an otherwise good shoot resulted in a conviction or judgement against someone in a self defense case because of what type of ammo you were using. I'll wait.
All this is great advice and I couldn't agree more.

It makes for an expensive range but new ammo needs to be cycled.

I wish I knew where that stupid rumor of lawyers bringing up ammo choice got started, I'd kick that dude square in the balls. Probably the same dude who recommends a pink subcompact to small females as their first gun.

· Registered
92 Posts
Go to Your Caliber and study results, its pretty easy to decide what to carry

· Registered
1 Posts
Equipment in any hike has two main characteristics that significantly impact the hike's quality. Such characteristics are the weight and dimensions of the equipment. Therefore, when hunting, the hunter tries to minimize his equipment, choosing everything he needs. This also applies to weapons and their equipment. But you can't go hunting without bullets. Another question is how many to take and how to transport and use them during transitions. You will say that bandoliers exist for this, and you cannot argue with them. Another question arises, which one to choose? Some hunters try to get a large, roomy belt bandolier or bulletproof vest. You can look for something here, where I buy the bullets themselves.

· Registered
3,068 Posts
For buying ammo locally as opposed to online; I’ve found Rural King to be the most reasonable pricewise for the main carry pistol calibers; .45 acp, .40 S&W, 9mm., and .22 LR.

Beyond those calibers; my LGS has the best selection and variety of range and carry ammo.

My carry ammo is mostly Hornady, Sig, and Wilson.

· Registered
3 Posts
Hi Guys

I have an M&P sheild 9mm I looking for some defensive carry ammo.
what should I use? and where can I buy it I do not order on line at all
never have.so plz any advice on what to carry

Thanks to all of you for the help;)
Jeff US ARMY VET
SIG Sauer VCrown or Elite Performance 115gr or 124gr, Federal HST or Hi-Shok. Underwood Extreme Defender. Are but a few. But you need to shoot at least 2 mags rapid fire, to make sure your gun will eat them for dinner. Never trust ammunition or firearms you don't personally fire. Firearms are all the same but all very different. 147 grain for your home defense gun.
The bigger and heavier the gun, the softer the recoil in theory. Ammunition is similar. What can your barrel withstand safely +p or standard?
Good place to start while available. YouTube. The manufacturer & grain you've chosen with the length of barrel, "gel test" in your search parameters.
There's a plethrea of places online, or check your local gun stores. FMJ or TMJ in a variety of weights for target practice. To see what suits you best, you may not like light or heavy for caliber, you may not like +p ammunition. Remember hollow points and other specialty ammo is for self defense. FMJ & TMJ are for target, but always test your defensive loads.
Happy shooting.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts