MP-Pistol Forum banner

WOULD YOU CARRY WHILE BACKPACKING

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am an avid backpacker, have been for nearly 30 years and YES I carry a gun. I have met some great people on the trail, but also my share of freaks. I was searching for more information about my Dads .44 mag and ran across this topic board.

http://www.trailspace.com/forums/backcount...pics/33496.html

It starts out good, with a bang, literally; but digresses as the rainbow coalition shows up. There is a quote from one of these guys that makes me furious, "If you carry a gun backpacking, you are a hunter." Or, "if you carry a gun, you intend to kill something or someone". It simply amazes me at the mentality of some folks... As you read on it goes back and forth, but truely the "Hippies" dominates this topic with their fluff... Thought I would share my thoughts on the subject, I am very bored at work tonight. :wink:

No offense to any of gun packin hippy brethren...

I also made this a poll, so Jester or a moderator; would you please move this topic to the Poll section... Thanks

·
Registered
113 Posts
Seems pretty pro guns-n-backpacking too me. But then again, hippies, treehuggers, dirtlovers and liberals seem to be full of blind rage these days. I am sure the moderator deleted most of their posts because of this blind rage.

As for me, I live in N. Arizona. My family and I go for extended day hikes. Usually there are many people on the trails. Usually there are many tourist on the trail. YES, I carry everytime.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I don't backpack much anymore, but used to quite a bit when I was younger. I would definitley carry while backpacking if I started up again. With all the stories of meth labs and such being located in remote, backwoods areas, I would never want to accidentally stroll into one and not have some kind of protection against a violent, easily agitated guy on meth.

·
Registered
910 Posts
If I go backpacking or mountainbiking, or just riding around one of the islands around here I stick my M&Pc in my camelbak in one of the pockets if I don't wear shorts that allow me to wear a belt to use holsters with.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I carry a .44 magnum S&W 329PD - helluva a camping/backpacking gun. It's light, and with the magnaporting I had done, the recoil is very manageable. I typically carry hardcast Buffalo Bore ammo specifically made for the 329PD for any encounters I might have with bear, elk, or most importantly mountain lion. I live in Colorado.

Bear spray makes good seasoning for a human meal - and can blind you if the wind is up.

I also carry mine as concealed as possible but at hand. I don't like to escalate situations with two legged critters. So I typically wear a loose unbuttoned outer shirt and keep the .44 holstered on my the back of my right hip. That keeps it mainly out of site from the casual observer. However, I definitely keep it at hand. An bear encounter will give you 3-5 seconds to draw and fire - tops, mountain lion less than that.

I've also had concern about walking up on a Meth lab, etc. My first instinct is going to be get the hell out of there - because they will most likely have rifles and shotguns. You are in a dire situation there, but being armed will help, if nothing to scare them back while you make your escape. The .44 magnum with porting is loud enough to deafen people two counties away, and makes for a formidable warning shot for two and four legged critters.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Best quote from that thread...

"....if you carry matches are you no longer a backpacker but an arsenist? A gun is a tool...a piece of safety equipment. If a person chooses to be naive and ignore a real threat then thats their buisness, but naive or not that threat is real."

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This topic actually has been a circus of sorts, it started that my Farther sold the farm moved to Northern Idaho with his G/F. He is an avid fly fisherman and needed a bear gun, so we polled and pondered with all my friends here and decided on a Mossberg 590 with a lot of neat aftermarket gizmos. His G/F is 5' 100lbs and she really didn't like rifled slugs. So I went back to forum for another round. Instead of the 500, or 460 I have decided on a 44 mag. It’s just a matter of which handgun will be best for my father and doesn’t break my savings account. Here are the different posts this discussion has come up with.

http://mp-pistol.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=4002

http://mp-pistol.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=3974

So, as you can see we have had an ample amount of information and suggestions. But thank you for your input, BTW where in Colorado are you?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Morgan Walker said:
So, as you can see we have had an ample amount of information and suggestions. But thank you for your input, BTW where in Colorado are you?

I'm in Denver but we travel all over through the state. Most Black bears are deterred by a wound, it's the large cats that are most dangerous statistically. They will jump on you from out of nowhere and there is little reaction time.

That being said, if food supply is good you don't have much trouble. Early spring when the animals are hungry and late fall are a bit more tricky.

·
Site Staff
9,618 Posts
Moved per request of Morgan Walker.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
255 Posts
I always carry no matter where I am unless metal detectors would prevent it. So yeah, I carry when I'm hiking.

That said, there is legislation pending in my home state of Tennessee that would make it perfectly legal to carry in state and municipal parks. Presently it's a no-no. Because parks have been known to play host to female hikers being raped, bear attacks, thugs robbing hikers, thugs selling drugs, etc. it only makes sense that a person would want to be armed in these areas.

Some of the anti statements have been absolutely absurd. It's like some people seriously think that by prohibiting guns in state wildlife areas, parks, etc. that the bad guys and wild animals won't attack you.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I would especially carry a gun while backpacking you are a long way from help. You likely won't have a cell signal and satellite phones can break even if you do happen to have one. I came across a site where you can rent a satellite phone so I'll probably consider that when I'm going on extended trips in the future. I'm also thinking about getting a flare gun. I think it's more important than daily carry in your hometown.

You're a long way from help and you could be lunch and accidentally stumble across a meth lab or mountain lions where you might need it. An even better reason wouldn't be so you could draw attention to yourself if you got hurt or separated. Loud noises in sets of three are a distress signal. A whistle is loud but I think a gunshot is probably louder.

I could be stuck somewhere where I can see people passing on a trail but they can't see me, like down in a ravine with a broken leg. I could put a few shots into the ground near them to get their attention. Sure they might take off, but would likely report that there was some crazy redneck out in the woods shooting at them and eventually somebody would find me. An injury would also make you an easy target for something that wants to eat you.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Im also a backpacker. You can only carry in national forests correct? National parks like yosemite its not legal.

·
Registered
31 Posts
darklyte24 said:
Im also a backpacker. You can only carry in national forests correct? National parks like yosemite its not legal.

That is correct, no to national parks, no to state parks in Colorado where I'm at. Which is funny because we have a state park in denver that has a pistol range on it. illegal to carry in the park except on the pistol range - go figure.

However, most rangers I've encountered understand you need some protection with you if you are in back-country and will leave you alone. However, taking your Marlin 450 rifle on your back through the info booth at the front gates will get you noticed for sure! They just ask that you be discreet about it - and if you discharge that weapon it better be life or death situations only.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Where have you backpacked before? Ive been to Kings canyon once in 2005, it was about a 3 mile trip up some crazy switch backs. took us about 4-5 hours to get up and a about 3 hours down. It was called Deer Cove trail.

Kylie the dog was adopted from a shelter, she is either a whippet *mini grey hound* mix or a Mountain Cur hunting dog.. no one really knows.

These are some Yosemite pics from July 06 and march 07

Hetch hetchy Reservoir to Rancheria Falls was a 13 mile round trip of hell in 95+*F we got there late at 12pm and got to camp at 8pm usually a 4-6 hour hike. We were so exhausted on the way there we didnt take many pics untill we got to our camp.

i have over 200 pics, but here are 2.. yosemite falls half way point was about 2.5 hour hike, all the way up is about a 3-4 hour hike. we went half while my tri-athalon friend went up all the way.

look closely theres a small snake

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Cool Pics darklyte!! I have always wanted to hike in Yosemite Falls. My wife has been there and said I would love it. From the pics you have provided its on my list!!!

Thanks for sharing!!

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A very nice place, thanks for sharing... God, only 7 months to go in this @#$% forsaken place and I'll be free to head back the mountains., how I miss them so.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Right on Morgan! A well deserved retirement!!! Thanks for serving us proud brother!!!

Morgan Walker said:
A very nice place, thanks for sharing... God, only 7 months to go in this @#$% forsaken place and I'll be free to head back the mountains., how I miss them so.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts