MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to vacation to Verginia beach (camping to save money lol) in week.

does anyone know what the law says about PA CCW holder carrying gun in Verginia?

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
mity2 said:
I'm going to vacation to Verginia beach (camping to save money lol) in week.

does anyone know what the law says about PA CCW holder carrying gun in Verginia?

I would check with www.packing.org but when you look up Virginia, make sure you spell it right... :wink:

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oops i need spell check. lol

Thanks for the site BTW

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Anytime brother...

·
Registered
291 Posts
I believe you are good to go. If you have to cross Maryland to get there, be careful. Although most of Virginia is very gun friendly, Maryland is not!

If you don't carry in Virginia Beach, You just may be the only one there without a gun.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I will be crossing 6 states while going on much needed leave, after checking www.packing.org I found out that the laws differ too much between states so I am going to have to lock my babies in the trunk... There is a possibility I could use the I didnt know but if it doesnt work than no more guns for me. So in the trunk is where they will go :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

my states to cross are GA, TN, KY, IN, IL,WI and eventually the good ole MN

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
101Combat Vet said:
I will be crossing 6 states while going on much needed leave, after checking www.packing.org I found out that the laws differ too much between states so I am going to have to lock my babies in the trunk... There is a possibility I could use the I didnt know but if it doesnt work than no more guns for me. So in the trunk is where they will go :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

my states to cross are GA, TN, KY, IN, IL,WI and eventually the good ole MN

You need to remember your vehicle is considered an extension of your home in most states. But you're correct if you want to be that law abiding citizen, wouldn't want to break the law. So how fast will you be traveling, be sure to signal for every lane change and most importantly smile at everyone, that will keep them wondering what you're up too...

·
Registered
341 Posts
101Combat Vet said:
I found out that the laws differ too much between states so I am going to have to lock my babies in the trunk...

Prob ur best bet ..... even with the anit-gun laws of NJ they still let you transport thru the state but it can't be accessible.

·
Registered
154 Posts
greatzippy said:
[quote name='101Combat Vet']I found out that the laws differ too much between states so I am going to have to lock my babies in the trunk...

Prob ur best bet ..... even with the anit-gun laws of NJ they still let you transport thru the state but it can't be accessible.[/quote]

don't go through Massachusetts though. long guns are fine if you have a hunting permit in another state, but handguns are only allowed if you are going to an official target shooting match. Target practice and personal protection are no reason to have a fire arm in your car -- even locked in your trunk. (they really suck)

·
Registered
291 Posts
Federal law lets you transport. Problem comes when you have to stop. Just keep the guns and any ammo seperate, actions open and encased.

Stay away from Chicago!

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
45guy said:
Federal law lets you transport. Problem comes when you have to stop. Just keep the guns and any ammo seperate, actions open and encased.

Stay away from Chicago!

Cant do it bro i hit the toll road and that is when I hit make up time :wink: :wink: nothing like going 80 mph and having the police pass you up.... for where I am going (north of milwaukee) I cannot avoid chi-town without adding more time and gas. Plus that military i.d. card and a happy family usually keep me out from the cops radar (fingers crossed)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Suggestion

If anyone feels uncomfortable traveling through Maryland with firearms, I volunteer to "hold" them for you until you return. I know this is quite the generous offer, but I'll even do it free if you leave some ammo!!

·
Registered
505 Posts
you deffinetly want to be careful here in illinois. there was a lady just arrested yesterday at the sears tower in chicago. she was from Tennessee i believe and was carrying a handgun in her purse. Her not doing her research about ccw(or lack there of) in IL is going to cost her big time. The said on the news the chicago police department will most likely be charging her with unlawful use of a firearm which is a felony. I feel bad for her because i know communist chicago is going to try to make an example out of her. just follow the law and put the gun in the trunk in an enclosed case and unloaded...

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
PatM&P said:
you deffinetly want to be careful here in illinois. there was a lady just arrested yesterday at the sears tower in chicago. she was from Tennessee i believe and was carrying a handgun in her purse. Her not doing her research about ccw(or lack there of) in IL is going to cost her big time. The said on the news the chicago police department will most likely be charging her with unlawful use of a firearm which is a felony. I feel bad for her because i know communist chicago is going to try to make an example out of her. just follow the law and put the gun in the trunk in an enclosed case and unloaded...
That is the reason im gonna keep nice and hidden!!!!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, looks like Virginia is clear. But i come to find out that i do have to travel through Maryland for a while. see the map below.

But as long as I don't get off of highway or not stop other then restarea in highway, and don't whipit out I should be okay ya?

(Yellow line is stateline)

·
Registered
405 Posts
make sure it's locked and put away somewhere (trunk) and the ammo is separated. My buddy just got pulled over (from Pa) in maryland last week and they confiscated his 2 guns and his knife...the one gun wasn't even loaded or anything.

Maryland is one of the most strict states and if you look around you'll see you can only have it when you're goin to a gun smith, the range, or some shooting event pretty much and even than if you're one of the very few guys who have a Maryland CCW which is basically impossible to get if you're out of state, you still can't have it open carry in the car.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
title18 section 926a

"Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle:provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console"

This coveres me traveling through maryland, as long as gun and ammo are locked in separate case, and stored not easily accessable by driver or passenger(Since i have an Explorer), right?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts