MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This started at the range on the M&P40's first time out. Full mag, rattling cartridge. Put the mag into the weapon, no rattle. Is this normal? Is it a problem? Is there a solution? Thanks!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Magazines still rattling...

My department issued the MP.40 to us back in December 2006, the Smith & Wesson Armorer certified a few of us to be armorers in March 2007. But when we asked him about the magazine rattle he did not have an answer for us either. He suggested taking the magazines apart and wiping them clean of the factory grease, I did that and my mags still rattle. I have fired well over a 1,000 rounds thru my weapon and the rattle is my only complaint. If someone discovers a solution PLEASE let me know. Semper Fi

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is a person on the forum who is selling a mag shim. I don't know if I want to stick a shim in the mag or not. But I may try, because like you, the rattle is my ONLY complaint.

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
One solution is the hammer on it... squishing the sides of the mag. Not to hard, but it tightens up everything, and will solve the issue.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, but with my great luck, I'd just screw up and hammer too hard or something....

·
Registered
367 Posts
I might be having the same problem but it's only happened three times in 1100 rounds. I think mine doesn't stack exactly right and two rounds end up on the same side instead of staggered. I say this because I can't get the last round in. I have to unload the mag and when I try again, it's fine. Is my problem different than yours?

The guy at the shop had no answer, all he said was that "My BHP does that too".

·
Registered
176 Posts
Mags still rattling

Hey johndoe1027

My mag problem is a constant whether I load 15 rounds or less it still will rattle. The only way I have got the mag to stop rattling was to down load the mag to 11 or 12 rounds (which sucks). I am afraid to hammer on the sides of the mag like jester has suggested, I was contacted by a heck of a nice guy that is going to send me a shim for the magazine. If it works I will definitely post it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I, too am having the same problem. I spent over a month researching every type of gun within my price range, The M&P was a little above my range, but with the extra 2 mags and $50 rebate, I figured I couldn't go wrong. Well, first let me say that I am more than pleased with the performance and workmanship of my full size M&P 40. This magazine rattle is the only concern I really have. I know my gun was probably an earlier model, as the collected casing was from 2-06. However, it seems that my problem may be a little worse than others, as I experience it in every loaded magazine, whether it's full, odd numbers, even numbers or whatever. At this time, I'm still dealing with it. But I sure wish there was a way to make it stop, as everyone who has held it has noticed it. And then came the "you wouldn't get that with a Glock". Which I am so tired of hearing. I know that Glock makes a great gun. But it has AUSTRIA engraved on it. I guess I still believe in the American way, and want to "keep it in the family". Especially since my father, grandfather, etc. all owned Smith & Wesson. I love my M&P and truly want to keep it in the family. Maybe one of those shims would be worth a shot for me as well. Oh, by the way.... this happens to mine whether installed or not. The only ammo tried thus far has been the Winchester 180 grain field loads from Wal-Mart and a box of the suspect Speer Gold Dots. So far, 50 Winchester FMJs and 10 of the gold dots and no problems loading, misfiring or anything. Like I said.... I LOVE THIS GUN! Just want to lose the rattle.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Every metal magazine has the potential for some rattle. I can't tell you the number of times I had people complain to me about it when I was with Beretta (it never happens in any other brand!) and then SIG (it never happens with any other brand!). Surprise surprise, it happens with some M&P mags, too.

It's just a tolerance stacking issue. Mag tube, follower, spring, plus 10-17 rounds of ammunition ... that's a lot of little things all fitting into a space together. 0.01" here, 0.005" there and you start to get enough room for a little rattle.

Sometimes, disassembling the mag and putting it back together, clean and dry, can help a bit. Sometimes just removing all the rounds and putting them back in the mag can help.

Inevitably, if you have a mag that just won't stop rattling, you may choose to mark it for range use only. Although the rattling doesn't normally indicate any kind of reliability issue, there are people who think the noise is tactically unsound (pardon the pun).

·
Registered
30 Posts
I found through the search engine that someone here sells shims for the cartridges which seem to work. Anyone have any experience with these? It had been a while since the last post on the subject, so I was wondering how they're holding up.

Thanks,

Eddie

·
Registered
38 Posts
After loading a mag, smack the base against the palm of your hand, then turn it 90 degrees and smack it againg. We did this in Vietnam to insure all rounds were seated properly. My M&P9c doesn't rattle.

·
Registered
46 Posts
After loading a mag, smack the base against the palm of your hand, then turn it 90 degrees and smack it againg. We did this in Vietnam to insure all rounds were seated properly. My M&P9c doesn't rattle.

I've just been putting up with the rattling since I've owned my MP .40. Only one of my mags does it, the other doesn't, so I only use the quiet one for carry. Thats been about a year and a half now. I just did the turning and smacking thing and it worked like a charm....completely quiet now. Thanks for the suggestion, thats why I love this site.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I only really notice it when it is loaded with hollow-points. FMJ, eh, not so much. But I have experienced this on more than one handgun (HP's rattle)

·
Registered
30 Posts
I actually tried the "smacking the base" thing yesterday and it seemed to work sometimes. Both of the mags do the same thing. I just keep smacking them until they quit, then push the top round back and insert the mag. Then instantly, the rattle returns. Not as bad I should point out. I guess maybe I'm being a little too picky. This is my first gun, so I don't know what it's supposed (or not) to do. I guess as long as it works like it should, I'll just leave well enough alone.

Once again, has anyone purchased any of the shims that the guy on here is selling? If they work and are still doing their job, it would definitely be worth it to me to purchase a couple of these. I PM'd the guy, but I know he doesn't know me. Plus it's only been about a week. But if anyone has any info, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Eddie

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
SVdrummer/ Eddie....The mag rattle is nothing more than just a irritating noise nothing more. I haven't heard anyone selling the shims, not that no one is, but not alot of chatter about it. I would think that if the chatter was more than what it is everyone would be talking more and or buying the shims more than they are. Really for me the best thing to do is realize that nothing is wrong with the mags and go out and shoot the heck out of you gun. Enjoy!

·
Registered
38 Posts
SVdrummer/ Eddie....The mag rattle is nothing more than just a irritating noise nothing more. I haven't heard anyone selling the shims, not that no one is, but not alot of chatter about it. I would think that if the chatter was more than what it is everyone would be talking more and or buying the shims more than they are. Really for me the best thing to do is realize that nothing is wrong with the mags and go out and shoot the heck out of you gun. Enjoy!
In Vietnam, the last thing we wanted when we went on a OP was anything rattling. We didn't even talk. I've been doing the smack, turn, smack thing ever since. The only time I didn't do it was when I first went to test my M&P. So focused on testing the reliability that I plum forgot. Guess what - rds rattled in the mag. Ever since - back to the same ol' discipline from 'Nam.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just smack 'em around now. No problems with reliability, just annoying.

My CZ does the same thing. Load the mag to 14rds, rattle. No problems with it either, though.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts