MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I picked this one up as an impulse buy a couple of weeks ago from my LGS.

I installed an Apex J-frame D/C kit a few days ago, and it made the DAO trigger pull very nice! It was also the very first time I’d ever done any revolver work.

I haven’t shot it yet, because I was waiting for the pocket holster and speed loaders I ordered to be delivered. They've arrived, and I plan on shooting BUG with it next Thursday at IDPA practice.

The pics are at an odd angle because I was trying to get the engraving to show up better.

5673E443-6108-4DC0-9958-C44FD177681C.jpeg
2EA0C30B-68B6-47CB-8C04-2094E92B69A2.jpeg

·
Registered
444 Posts
Did you measure the trigger pull weight before and after?
I've done the $20 Apex spring kit on 3 J-Frames and it dropped from 12# to 9# on each.
I've read on other forums some people saying they have got lower weights so that's why I'm asking.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Did you measure the trigger pull weight before and after?
I've done the $20 Apex spring kit on 3 J-Frames and it dropped from 12# to 9# on each.
I've read on other forums some people saying they have got lower weights so that's why I'm asking.
Yes I did; but the “before” pull weight was higher than the Lyman Digital TP scale measured. The display just read “over.”

The average “after“ pull weight was 8 pounds, four ounces.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Yes I did; but the “before” pull weight was higher than the Lyman Digital TP,scale measured. The display just read “over.”

The average “after“ pull weight was 8 pounds, four ounces.
Thanks Rick, look like you got a little better also.
I have the same scale and none if mine said over but the average pull on all was just above 9#.
Over the last 4 years (that's when I found the spring kit) only one of them has misfired one time. I tried that round in another revolver several times and it still wouldn't fire, so I chocked that up to a bad round and not the guns.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Rick, look like you got a little better also.
I have the same scale and none if mine said over but the average pull on all was just above 9#.
Over the last 4 years (that's when I found the spring kit) only one of them has misfired one time. I tried that round in another revolver several times and it still wouldn't fire, so I chocked that up to a bad round and not the guns.
Did your kit include the firing pin and reduced power firing pin return spring?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Did your kit include the firing pin and reduced power firing pin return spring?
Yes.
I had to use a dental pick to remove that spring.

ETA:
These are the videos I watched to learn how to do it.

Disassembly
Assembly

This is the kit I used on all of them.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I looked at the Apex video.

I don’t have that special tool, either, but I managed to get the spring compressed enough with the tip of one leg on some long, skinny needle nose pliers to get the part off. When I reinstalled the part with the new spring inside, I used the tip of a brass punch that was big enough to not go inside the spring, but small enough to go inside the hole in the part.

Removing the hammer, and changing out the firing pin and spring, and the mainspring, was a piece of cake.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I bought the tool from brownells figuring I have a few S&W's so I would need it more than once. I removed the lock and installed "The Plug" on each of them also, you got one without (I'm jealous) so that saves a little time.
The spring and firing pin were stuck on the last one, so I went to harbor freight and bought a dental pic set and it came right out that way, the first couple it just fell out.

At the end of the day you got a nicer trigger on the new pocket gun, glad to hear it.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Getting that tool was a good move on your part. I didn’t know there was such a thing, as I’d never been inside a revolver before.

If I find myself working on revolvers again; I’ll definitely be getting that tool.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts