MP-Pistol Forum banner

cause of weird malfunction?

4K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  choochboost 
#1 ·
So I was at the range today and had my first malfunction, probably around the 1000 round mark, what had happend was the gun fired, but the case stayed in the chamber as if the extractor was never on it and it tried to feed another round. What is the cause of this type of FTE?

thanks

#4 ·
guess

If it keeps up....just a guess, maybe the extractor is really dirty or damaged? I'd clean the heck out of the extractor and look it over. Make sure it can pivot freely on the pin/hinge point. Spray solvent type product might be the best way to clean all in and around it if you don't want to take it out...and I'm not sure taking it out is a good idea. But 1/1000-may be ammo's fault, too.

#5 ·
It happened to me twice about 4 months ago with my 9mm full size M&P. I was using, and still do, WWB ammo. When trying to figure out what the problem was, I discovered that there was large buildup of junk under the extractor claw. I cleaned it using a dental pick. I now pay attention to that area when cleaning and haven't had another failure since then. Still using WWB ammo.

#14 ·
Don't shoot WWB and have never had that problem. I will admit that I was tempted when I saw on a thread what Wally World was selling it for, I have been Wally free for 3 year and won't go back! looks like it was a good choice.

Don't shoot anything you wouldn't take into a fight.

:wink:

#16 ·
ammo

It is more expensive but you can't shoot junk and then complain about how it shoots. You get what you pay for and there is a dif.

How many people on here load H.S. or T.A.P. at home but have never run a box through there gun?

I shoot cheep as well but when I am looking at groups I shoot the real deal.

#18 ·
jeri534 said:
WWB is awesome for plinking ammo...considering it was 1 malf out of about 1000 im not too worried about it

Cool, Don't blame you, but if you use your pistol for Personal Protection do yourself a favor and practice with some high qual P.P. rounds as well.

If you keep having a problem with carbon build up under the extractor there are some cleaner in-expensive rounds out there. not as cheep as WWB but not as dirty either.

#20 ·
choochboost said:
[quote name='bandt32084']if you use your pistol for Personal Protection do yourself a favor and practice with some high qual P.P. rounds as well.
Why? There is no distinguishable difference in feel between my range ammo and my carry ammo. If by P.P. you mean +P there are good defensive loads that are standard pressure.[/quote]

You do it to make sure your pistol will feed your choice of P.P. ammo reliably. Nothing worse than finding out your gun won't go bang the one time it counts. If you are going to load the same range ammo for carry.............no problem. Also for the guys that have only shot low qual. ammo through there new gun. How can you tell how it is shooting with inconsistant loads?

By P.P. I was talking about Personal Protection.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.