MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone

VA law states the following as places where CC is prohibited:

* School property/school functions unless gun is unloaded, in an enclosed container (but NOT in the glove box or console) and in the vehicle. A car's trunk is considered an enclosed container. However, a concealed handgun permit holder can have a loaded, concealed handgun in the vehicle while in the school parking lot, traffic circle, etc. The concealed handgun and the permit holder must stay in the vehicle. Firearms are not banned from property open to the public where a school function is being held unless that property is being used exclusively for the school function. Violation of this statute is a felony

* Virginia Commonwealth University (8VAC90-10-50). Violation is a trespass charge

Would Christopher Newport University (a public state college) be considered a school? And if all colleges are considered schools, why would Virginia Commonwealth University have its own law? I am just curious if i am allowed to carry on campus.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Registered
377 Posts
You need to look further into the law and see if a college is considered a school. In Florida it isn't. But we are not allowed to CC in a college, university, ect, "facility". So "technically" you could carry on the grounds, but not inside any of the buildings. But this is not recommended since the law is ambiguous and could be interpreted differently by a different lawyer than the one I got this info from. A firearm is allowed in the car or on the premises if the place does not have a policy stating otherwise.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts