MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone shot CCI 40 shotshell in M&P 40 full size; does it cycle reliably? i have a thought for my "under the bed" home defense pistol (M&P 40 1.0 with streamlight TLR-6). i'm thinking of loading it with the first round, in the chamber, shotshell. all subsequent rounds, in the mag, would be traditional defense, HP.

the thought is that if i ever need to shoot at someone/something it would likely be close range, under stress (more apt to miss). the first shot being a hail of bb's and not deadly may be a good thing? that can be followed up with the 15 HP rounds as needed.

crazy, foolish, bad idea......or makes some sense?

·
Site Staff
9,603 Posts
Those shotshells are intended for small animals at very close range, snakes, rodents etc, if you shot a person with one of your pistol caliber shotshells you would probably make them really mad.

I don't know of any pistol caliber shotshells that would cycle reliably in any auto pistol.

So, IMHO really bad idea.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I've been wanting to get some, but the last few times I've ordered from TargetSports, the CCI.40 shot shells have been out of stock.
I'd want to have some as there are a lot of rattlers here around the Ranch, (which most of the time can just be avoided).
Usually I pack a Uberti .45 with .45LC shotshells, which do a number on them.
I am curious as to whether they'd feed as well. Given a full power charge, and something close to a normal bullet shape, they just might feed O.K.
But as G56 said, you'd just piss off an attacker with one, unless you got lucky and blinded him with the shot, I'd forget using them for SD.

·
Registered
8,314 Posts
has anyone shot CCI 40 shotshell in M&P 40 full size; does it cycle reliably? i have a thought for my "under the bed" home defense pistol (M&P 40 1.0 with streamlight TLR-6). i'm thinking of loading it with the first round, in the chamber, shotshell. all subsequent rounds, in the mag, would be traditional defense, HP.

the thought is that if i ever need to shoot at someone/something it would likely be close range, under stress (more apt to miss). the first shot being a hail of bb's and not deadly may be a good thing? that can be followed up with the 15 HP rounds as needed.

crazy, foolish, bad idea......or makes some sense?
Shot shells don't cycle the M&P, so it won't matter what's in the magazine.

Besides, even the .410 in #9 or "Big 4" isn't suitable for self defense, although there are several fully capable 000 buck rounds and a Winchester PDX1 shot/slug round that looks like it would do a decent job from a .410 cylinder bore.

As far as "not deadly may be a good thing"... General rule of defensive firearms: Don't shot unless you intend to kill.

So, "crazy, foolish, bad" pretty much nailed it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts