MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've used shotshells in revolvers for years, either CCI factory loads, or ones I've loaded in Speer empty capsules.
I've bagged more than a few tasty grouse while big game hunting, and shot a few rattlesnakes too.
95% of the rattlers I've seen are far enough away and docile that I just go around them. A few have been almost under foot and/or aggressive, the Mojave Green rattlers will come after you.

Obviously, shotshells function fine in a revolver, but since I have been carrying my .45 Shield more and more, and snakes are starting to come out, I have wondered how the shotshells for auto pistols would function.
And how they compared in power to the bigger rounds like .45 Colt and .44 Magnum.

The CCI loads for the .45 ACP are Aluminum cased with 1/3 ounce of #9 shot.
1/3 ounce is listed as 120 grains of shot.
The end of the cartridge has a bottleneck and a heavy crimp to hold the shot and top wad in.
I was doubtful that a 120 grain load would function, or it would have a decent pattern or power, but I needn't have worried.

I fired several of the shot cartridges out of the Shield, and the next round in the mag (200 grain JHP) fed and chambered every time.
This was the pattern fired at 6 feet. The plastic over-wad alone would do some damage !

And this to a steel soup can:

If I did have to use my Shield on a rattlesnake, this load would do the job.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I surprised to hear that the shot shell cycled the action and loaded the next round. I’d have thought that they'd have to be hand cycled for subsequent shots.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Me too Rick.

Interesting.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, with the shape of the case and the light 120 grain charge, I was skeptical too.
But they cycled fine, and pack a punch up close.

BTW, the can was shot at closer to 3 feet, like if a snake was at your feet.
And I was wearing shooting glasses. I was worried about some of the shot bouncing off the can, but it blasted through no problem,.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took the dog swimming yesterday at a local river access and got to try out one of the .45 ACP shotshells.
When I got back to my truck there was a rattler by it. There had been several groups parking by me that had gone down to swim that had dogs and kids.
I wasn't going to leave the snake there to maybe bite someone coming back to their car.
The shot messed the head up pretty good, and he didn't even twitch or squirm.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts