MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw some good deals on ammo at Natchez and was considering getting a case of CCI Brass. I've never shot CCI Brass before. Is it clean and accurate? Is there much of a difference between the CCI Brass & American Eagle? I would venture to say no, but I'm much more interested in your take. :roll:

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've heard that the CCI brass if made by a different process then other brass cases. It still reloadable but may not last quite as long. If you're not going to reload why not save a few bucks and go with the standard blazer?

·
Registered
4 Posts
JimVT said:
I've heard that the CCI brass if made by a different process then other brass cases. It still reloadable but may not last quite as long. If you're not going to reload why not save a few bucks and go with the standard blazer?

How long will it last ??

I just bought 2500 rounds

I talked to the NRA instructor at my local range and he told me the reason why the blazen brass is so cheap is because they don't add something to keep the flash down :?

anyway I have had no problems with the BB ammo and I save more money

so that I can buy more ammo

·
Site Staff
9,617 Posts
There's a lot of talk about flash suppression in powders, some believe it exists, others don't really think such a thing actually exists, I don't know for sure, but I'm skeptical about their existence. Some powders will naturally have more flash than others, that simply depends on how much powder is burned inside the barrel as compared to in the air at the muzzle, but an additive that can change that without really changing any other performance specs like velocity or pressure...I don't really think so.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
G56.....Man you sure know your stuff!!! Guess thats why you are a lead moderator! I always enjoy your knowledge brother!!!

G56 said:
There's a lot of talk about flash suppression in powders, some believe it exists, others don't really think such a thing actually exists, I don't know for sure, but I'm skeptical about their existence. Some powders will naturally have more flash than others, that simply depends on how much powder is burned inside the barrel as compared to in the air at the muzzle, but an additive that can change that without really changing any other performance specs like velocity or pressure...I don't really think so.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Do you guys think American Eagle is quality range ammo or junk???

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nutshell said:
Do you guys think American Eagle is quality range ammo or junk???

The American Eagle is definitely good quality.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Good to hear, I'll be buying more

·
Site Staff
9,617 Posts
Generic ammo like Winchester White Box and American Eagle are fine, nothing fancy just good quality ammo. If someone isn't a reloader it's their bread and butter, and of course us reloaders appreciate the donations of brass after someone who doesn't reload shoots it up and leaves it for us scroungers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
How about Remington UMC? The reason I ask is that a guy at work said it's poor quality and why it's so cheap. The whole discussion started when I was commenting how I was surprised how dirty the entire first inch of my M&P45 was after shooting about 100 rounds. It was so bad that the white dot on the front sight was barley visible. He recommend that I switch to something better like American Eagle. Has anyone has the same experience with the UMC?

·
Site Staff
9,617 Posts
IMHO the quality is the same, both are good ones, the dirty part comes from their choice of powder, which can be subject to budgetary considerations, some powders are inherently dirtier than others, that doesn't make it an inferior powder, just a dirtier one.

I haven't personally shot any UMC 9mm, but I have shot it in other calibers and been quite satisfied with the performance. WWB, American Eagle and UMC are all budget line ammo, I call it generic, bullets and cases are the most expensive parts of the ammo, you can't really change the case, but the bullets are a place where you can really cut cost, and that's really the biggest difference in budget priced ammo.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Bullseye said:
How long will it last ??

I just bought 2500 rounds

I believe I read about it on a reloading forum, but I can't recall where and my search has turned up nothing. I believe they said that the CCI Blazer brass uses an extrusion process somewhere along the line. I don't know how other manufactures make their brass, so this could be common or not. The poster stated about half the life of "standard" brass, but everyone loads differently. He could be using max loads.

That being said, I recently bought some 45 blazer brass and plan to reload it. Take all of the above with a large grain of salt. You know how the internet is; it's like the telephone game on steroids.

·
Site Staff
9,617 Posts
I've seen brass being made and I believe it would be correct to say that all brass is extruded.

The things that go into how long brass lasts are case thickness and web thickness, someone would need to section some cases to compare Blazer brass to other brands.

Here's an example with 223 and 5.56mm cases:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just as a follow up...

American Eagle is the Federal brand range/practice ammo (i.e. lower cost, higher round count, value priced ammo).

I've always had good luck with anything Federal, including the American Eagle.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts