MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just recently transfered to Ga, and I found out that if you are active duty military you can conceal and carry in your vehicle and on your person with your active duty i.d. card I wonder how many other states allow that??? any guidance

·
Registered
323 Posts
I would get a CCW liscense, just to be sure. And remember you may have a CWL but you cannot carry a concealed weapon on a military instillation. No matter how much you want to. But you can always submit a request to the Post commander to allow you to carry, but that is pretty much a shot in the dark and very doubtful.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
GA is about the most liquid state for CCW. You can open carry, hot anywhere. Until you get to the installation were you need drop your mag, lock it somewhere 6" away from the weapon, BTW, double lock your weapon and store it out of arms reach before entering the installation. The PMO here at Fort Polk is a very avid vehicle inspector; I have seen Soldiers go down for not complying with Federal Regulations. So be careful 101Combat Vet, just because the State is relaxed, doesn't mean installation is...

·
Registered
512 Posts
In Florida you must have a Concealed Permit to carry regardless of military status, but that simply invovles photocopying your ID and sending it in with your packet in lieu of the mandatory course. I would recommend the same to you just to save you some trouble with the law enforcement; kind of a CYA type deal.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i AGREE

IF THIS WAS A MAJOR INSTALLATION I WOULD HAVE TO WORRY, NEVER AND I REPEAT NEVER WOULD I HAVE BROUGHT ANY GUN ON FT CAMPBELL. WHERE I AM AT NOW IS ONE WAY INTO CAMP ONE WAY OUT AND NEEDLESS TO SAY NOT AS TIGHT SECURITY!!!! THANKS FOR THE HELP

·
Registered
910 Posts
Our base commander here at Charleston AFB allows a select few people to ccw on base. Which doesn't surprise me... considering today at our commander's call we had a keg, and several large buckets full of beer drinking - in uniform - while the commander was handing out medals and speaking. He was drinking too. Pretty laid back.

It helps if you have a SC CWP and a USAF CWP(AF Form 523) which allows you to carry concealed weapons on duty. I still don't carry concealed on base. It just stays in the glove box.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
crazypilot said:

That's a good find, but in layman's terms it allows military to apply for permits without going through a CCW class. Its the same in many states, which I feel is a mistake, just because we fire rifles a lot doesn't mean ALL military have experience with handguns. IMHO, and again thanks for sharing... :wink:

·
Registered
573 Posts
Our base commander here at Charleston AFB allows a select few people to ccw on base. Which doesn't surprise me... considering today at our commander's call we had a keg, and several large buckets full of beer drinking - in uniform - while the commander was handing out medals and speaking. He was drinking too. Pretty laid back.

Is anyone besides me bothered by that statement? Has the Military lost it's discipline and respect? Guess I must be getting old and grumpy......an old Navy Vietnam Vet.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Arizona Smithshooter said:

Is anyone besides me bothered by that statement? Has the Military lost it's discipline and respect? Guess I must be getting old and grumpy......an old Navy Vietnam Vet.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm sounds like it has....... though I do remember having Commanders Calls in the combined club at a little AFS in Ohio in '72 & '73 8) I remember the group being told to hold it down till the old man had his say

And in the late 60's and early 70's the lab OIC (light col.) would take those that wanted to the NCO club and buy the first round on most Friday afternoons. Then he'd leave and we'd have a fine time.

·
Registered
910 Posts
After talking to a bunch of guys in the squadron apparently it's the first time they've seen it. This was just a squadron commander's call that he called for basically everyone to get together and mingle... and hand out a few awards. It is a reserve unit, and the Air Force too none the less. As far as discipline goes I'd say we're pretty lacking compared to what service used to be - especially active duty.

For us it's just a huge group of men and women who hang out and have fun, but get a job done - without all the seriousness and strictness of active duty. Each reserve squadron on base has its own fully stocked bar. We're all on first name basis no matter what rank - only salute the commander, etc. Pretty good gig and great to be a part of.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
josh said:
For us it's just a huge group of men and women who hang out and have fun, but get a job done - without all the seriousness and strictness of active duty. Each reserve squadron on base has its own fully stocked bar. We're all on first name basis no matter what rank - only salute the commander, etc. Pretty good gig and great to be a part of.

U.S. Air Force :roll:

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
wow

That would never happen in the Army!!

·
Registered
910 Posts
Re: wow

101Combat Vet said:
That would never happen in the Army!!

No joke. I've seen some of what you guys put up with from flying thousands of you all over the world. I've got a ton of respect for the men & women in the Army & Marines. They put up with a lot of crap I definitely wouldn't.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
next time

next time you drink a beer think of me!!

·
Registered
5,726 Posts

josh said:
[quote name='101Combat Vet']That would never happen in the Army!!

No joke. I've seen some of what you guys put up with from flying thousands of you all over the world. I've got a ton of respect for the men & women in the Army & Marines. They put up with a lot of crap I definitely wouldn't.[/quote]

Right on brother, :wink:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Check w the local people who count: the cops on and off base.

Most federal installations in any state will require weapons entering at the gate be unloaded and locked in a case away from the driver.

At the local USAF base you cannot CCW on base even if you have a state CHL. Visitors must have guns unloaded and locked in a case. If they are going to be leaving the vehicle for any length of time they are supposed to report to the armory to store it there while they shop or whatever. Only exceptions are visitors travelling to one of the ranges to shoot. Those visitors are usually other cops/federal agents.

I was in the USAF from 78-98. Worked town patrols w Army cops; I had a loaded .38 they had an empty .45 (mags in a wire sealed pouch on belt). I worked counter surveillance ops w Army CID in foreign countries; they were not allowed armed off base by local Army CO, so they teemed up w us cuzz we could carry our M9/M11s off base. Told my partner if it got nasty, he could toss me the cars keys and I would toss him my gun, but only if he tossed first.

·
Registered
372 Posts

mikenkansas said:
[quote name='101Combat Vet']That would never happen in the Army!!

Just as jumping out of a perfectly functioning aircraft wouldn't happen in the Air Force 8)

Is it beer thirty yet?[/quote]

Yeah... PJ's and CCT would never do anything like that.

Reserve pilots may not be disciplined, but the amount of seat time they have can be amazing. I have heard stories about William Tell and the reservists having to pull tree limbs from intakes and missile racks upon return.

My hat is off to anyone in any branch of service. You may not all stand a post in the same way, but you stood a post for the freedoms of our country. Thank you.

MI_Jester

1 - 20 of 21 Posts