MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Victory for a S&W semi-auto. I kind of doubt it was an M&P but who knows? Glad the guy was immediately cleared of charges.

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/200..._in_gun_co.html

Cleveland man caught up in gun debate

Posted by Damian G. Guevara and Patrick O’Donnell April 23, 2007 19:56PM

Categories: Breaking News, Crime

Damon Wells is the man gun supporters imagined when they fought for the right to carry concealed weapons.

He had a permit to carry his gun, and he had the gun on him when a pair of teenage thieves approached him Saturday night on his front porch.

When one of the youths pulled a gun, Wells whipped out his and shot one of the boys multiple times in the chest, police said.

Arthur Buford, 15, died after stumbling away and collapsing on a sidewalk near East 134th Street and Kinsman Road.

City prosecutors decided Monday that Wells, 25, was justified and would not be charged for what appears to be the first time a concealed-carry permit holder has shot and killed an attacker.

Nonetheless, the shooting reignited the debate that roared three years ago when Ohio's concealed-carry law took effect.

Gun supporters said the weapon saved Wells' life. Opponents said it took Buford's - that the 15-year-old might be alive if a citizen had not been armed.

An angry throng of about 30 youths gathered Monday and set up a memorial at the intersection where Buford, a freshman at John F. Kennedy High School, died.

His cousin, Tameka Foster, 21, questioned why police refused to punish Buford's shooter. "They let that man run out freely," Foster said. "My cousin is dead."

Buford's accomplice disappeared after the shooting and had not been caught Monday night. Police found a .38-caliber handgun in the mail chute of a nearby house. They believe it belonged to Buford or the other suspect, Lt. Thomas Stacho said.

Police took a .40-caliber Smith and Wesson firearm from Wells, the police report shows.

Both sides of the gun debate said it was sad that a teenager died.

"It's tragic," said Jim Irvine, chairman of the Buckeye Firearm Association. "Anytime somebody dies it's tragic, but it's hard to have any sympathy when he chose to have a gun and go threaten somebody's life."

Irvine said it was "great that a potential victim is able to continue his life instead of having a criminal take it."

Toby Hoover, of the Ohio Coalition Against Gun Violence, said she had not heard of any other fatal shooting involving a concealed-carry permit holder.

"This is one of the few where they actually used it to stop a crime," Hoover said.

But, she said, "there's still a dead kid here."

A man who answered phone a number for Wells refused to comment and hung up. No one answered the door at Wells' home.

Plain Dealer reporters Jesse Tinsley and Brie Zelter and researcher Cheryl Diamond contributed to this story.

http://www.cleveland.com/crime/plai...&thispage=1

2 teens blocked him: 'Don't move or I'll pop you'

Friday, April 27, 2007

Gabriel Baird

Plain Dealer Reporter

Damon Wells will not go home. He is a pariah in his neighborhood.

The 25-year-old Cleveland man shot one of the two teens trying to rob him at gunpoint on Saturday in front of his home. The youth he killed, Arthur "Ace Boogie" Buford, was 15.

Since the shooting, windows in Wells' home have been shattered and are boarded up. Many in the Mount Pleasant neighborhood have sided with Buford and his accomplice rather than with Wells. Two people close to Wells want to defend him publicly, but they will speak only on the condition of anonymity because of rumors of retaliation.

They say Wells is in hiding now, leaning on his family and his faith in God. He is struggling with grief for the boy's family and frustration with how the community turned on him.

The trouble began about 8:30 p.m. Saturday with a trip to the corner store less than a block away, but even that can be dangerous in this Mount Pleasant neighborhood just north of Kinsman Road. Last year, one out of 100 residents in the blocks around his home on East 134th Street north of Kinsman Road was robbed or seriously assaulted, according to a Plain Dealer analysis of police data.

Wells was prepared. He wore a .40-caliber Smith and Wesson pistol in a shoulder holster. It is unclear if a shirt or jacket hid the holster. That day temperatures rose to 68 degrees.

It is also not known what, if anything, Wells bought at the store. He has declined to comment, and police have been guarded in the details they have released.

On the way home, Wells saw two teens. One was Buford, who was on probation for a 2006 robbery. He was wearing black sneakers, RocaWear jean shorts and a baggy white T-shirt.

The two teens approached Wells - one went in front of Wells, the other behind. He told police he felt threatened.

Contrary to previous reports, Wells did not get to his porch. Police say he reached the porch steps, but before he could climb them and run inside to safety, one of the youths - it is not clear which - pulled a handgun and said, "Don't move or I'll pop you."

Wells put up his hands.

The second youth reached for his pants, and Wells later told police he believed the robber was reaching for a second gun. Wells quickly drew his handgun and fired three shots. One hit Buford in the chest.

Both boys ran, but Buford bled profusely. He didn't get 15 yards before he tumbled onto the sidewalk not far from the corner store.

A surveillance camera from a building across Kinsman was pointed toward Wells' home. Police have not released the tape, but they said the image quality was poor. It could not have captured a shooting in front of Wells' home.

A crowd began to gather around Buford. Emergency workers rushed him to MetroHealth Medical Center. He was pronounced dead at 9:18 p.m., about 30 minutes after the shooting. Back at home, Wells went inside and put down his gun.

A woman in the house and several frantic neighbors called police. When they pulled up outside, Wells was there, hands in the air. He told them the gun was inside.

Investigators found three shell casings and blood. On Kinsman Road, they found a handgun that they believe was used in the attempted robbery.

They took Wells to jail. He answered their questions and, after consulting with city prosecutors, police released him. Police said all the evidence suggested he had done nothing more than what he had to do.

To reach this Plain Dealer reporter:

[email protected], 216-999-4141

·
Registered
763 Posts
It's a shame that these stories never make it to the national news. Good find, thanks

·
Registered
297 Posts
Thats bull **** how the community is treating Wells. I dont care if the suspect is a kid or 40 years old, you dont pull a gun on someone. That kid knows right from wrong and already been arrested once for robbery. It drives me crazy how people support a criminal just becuase he was young.

·
Registered
501 Posts
DixieThunder 24 said:
Thats bull shiz how the community is treating Wells. I dont care if the suspect is a kid or 40 years old, you dont pull a gun on someone. That kid knows right from wrong and already been arrested once for robbery. It drives me crazy how people support a criminal just becuase he was young.

Bull perhaps but given the ................ neighborHOOD....... not the least bit unexpected. Not only do they not want someone like Ace Boogie (regardless of age) eliminated from the gene pool, they wouldn't snitch on him if they saw him shoot Mr. Wells.

This fine fellow :roll: brings up some good points http://www.opednews.com/articles/opedne_st...ing_creed_a.htm

The idea that someone would market this clothing is unfathonable to an old white fellow like me. http://www.cafepress.com/snitchingisano/876041/

·
Registered
20 Posts
seems a shame that cleveland would side with a crook instead of a tax paying citizen. kind of makes sense now when you hear that most of the bigger cities are going down the toilet?

·
Registered
501 Posts
ok......... and call me old-fashioned and judgmental but darned if I'd pay much attention to a gal named Toby........

"Toby Hoover, of the Ohio Coalition Against Gun Violence, said she had not heard of any other fatal shooting involving a concealed-carry permit holder.

"This is one of the few where they actually used it to stop a crime," Hoover said.

But, she said, "there's still a dead kid here.""

Interestingly ( :roll: ) the Ohio coalition to take away evil guns only thinks you've stopped a crime if the perp is tot. Blood thirsty bastages, what?

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
1 down, 2 million to go...

·
Registered
341 Posts
I love these two comments;

"They let that man run out freely," Foster said. "My cousin is dead."

But, she said, "there's still a dead kid here."

Lets see, does it really matter if he was 15 or 50??? He had a gun & pulled it on someone .... that right there negates age or pretty much anything. The idiot opened up a life threatened "fight or flight" response from a stranger and lost, too damn bad.

I always love how family & friends come out saying crap like "he was such a good boy" blah blah blah .... if he was so good he wouldn't have pulled a gun on someone to commit a crime. Hell, if he was so good he wouldn't even have had a handgun on him without proper permission .... which one probably can't even get at 15!!!!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Dead Dirtbag!!

How long before Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton, show up at this guy's door ? Notice not a word from those two farces regarding the acquittal of the Duke unversity lacrosse team. Everyone has to be sorry when "they" feel wronged. But never will you hear them "fess up" when they are.!!! Bottom line: you point a weapon at me, and you are never going to see the inside of a court room. :!:

·
Registered
115 Posts
On the way home, Wells saw two teens. One was Buford, who was on probation for a 2006 robbery. He was wearing black sneakers, RocaWear jean shorts and a baggy white T-shirt.

Such a nice young boy... :roll: Where do these people come from !.. How in your right mind can you have any sympathy for a dufus that pulls a gun on someone, then gets beat at his own game?.

I guess these folks want Mr. Wells to stick up his hands and give everything to the crooks, and then "HOPE" that they didn't shoot him "just cause"..

wow.. your damed if you do and damed if you don't.. but i'd rather be "alive" and damed then the other possibility.. Way to go Mr. Wells.

Jeff.

PS: Let's not get started on the dynamic Duo.. IDIOT's.. both of them..

·
Registered
514 Posts
NAACP - In case you haven't read it

From Newsnet5 of April 27, 2007

NAACP Leader Calls Homicide Among Young Black Men Epidemic

The Cleveland NAACP responded Friday to criticism surrounding the shooting death of a teenage boy during a robbery.

NAACP President George Forbes and Cleveland Councilman Zach Reed said the black community failed 15-year-old Arthur Buford, NewsChannel5 reported.

They said Buford was wrong for allegedly trying to rob Damon Wells at gunpoint on Saturday.

Wells opened fire and killed Buford at East 134th Street and Kinsman. Police said Wells had a valid weapons permit and used the gun in self-defense.

"Then you have a 26-year-old young man who had every right to protect his life, protect his fiance and protect his property. But he has to life with the fact that for the rest of his lie he shot a 15-year-old boy," said Reed.

"That man had a right to do what he did. If he didn't do it, we'd be sitting here today mourning him rather than the 15-year-old," said Forbes.

They pointed out that homicide is the leading cause of death for black men 15 to 24.

Forbes said that if we saw those kind of numbers for an illness, the community would be outraged.

He said the community should also treat this as an epidemic.

·
Registered
105 Posts
The out cry against the man for shooting a criminal, I mean kid, in self defense doesn't suprise me. Cleveland is one of the poorest city's in the country. I'm happy to see the police/ over zealous city prosecutor didn't overreact and he was released. Doesn't matter if the threat is ages 5- 100. He/we have a right to protect our lives.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Where the heck were the kid's parents? Don't get me wrong everyone is responsible for their own actions no matter what age but if I were on probation for robbery at age 15 my dad would have had me in ankle irons every minute of the day that I wasn't in school. Had he caught me with a likely stolen handgun while on probation he'd have called the police himself and let me sit in juvenile detention for as long as the court saw fit. A "good boy" doesn't pack a .38 that he uses to rob people at age 15, maybe that would fit if he were over at his grandma's house mowing her lawn got hit by a car (and not on probation). He played with fire and got burned, tough.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Plural maybe, my Mom would have done the same. I think she's just starting to get old enough that she could no longer beat me into the ground if she wanted to.

·
Registered
373 Posts
From Newsnet5 of April 27, 2007

NAACP Leader Calls Homicide Among Young Black Men Epidemic

The Cleveland NAACP responded Friday to criticism surrounding the shooting death of a teenage boy during a robbery.

NAACP President George Forbes and Cleveland Councilman Zach Reed said the black community failed 15-year-old Arthur Buford, NewsChannel5 reported.

They said Buford was wrong for allegedly trying to rob Damon Wells at gunpoint on Saturday.
The NAACP will probably fire this guy for an attack of sanity by at least partially or indirectly blaming the one responsible-this little criminal. Based on a lot of years in LE, I would safely bet that at 15, and ALREADY pulling armed robberies, he no doubt was destined to cut a wide swath of innocent victims in the next few years as he continued his personal crime wave. At 15, he would have had to commit multiple felonies-and be caught-and convicted-before being put away, and then only for a short time. Then, at adulthood, he would get to start over again. This is assuming the felon-in-training wasn't killed by a similar one in a dope deal, bar fight, or argument over a female. This man's act in protecting himself quite probably ended a crime wave in the making and saved many lives, and I wished he knew that.

The shame is in the way the community reacted. This shows how in some sections of culture, the "thug" or criminal element is held in high esteem over innocent victims, even when the thugs victim is of the same race. It is a real societal sickness. This, hand in hand with the "don't tell the police nuthin" mentality shows how bad things are. And it WILL get worse.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts