MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thinking about getting a CCW license, so--

Hope someone can clear something up for me.

I am Retired military. 24 year Air Force.

I want to know if I only need to bring my DD214 to Sheriff's Office to get my CCW Liscense.

On the Ohio.gov website it seems to have to different statements in two different places. One states the DD214 with no other stipulations will work. The other area says a DD214 saying you have had equal or better firearm training than State Law requires. Not sure a DD214 says that. It states "AF Training Ribbon" (Basic Training). We all had firearms training in Basic Training.

You can't call the Green County Sheriff Office directly on CCW right now. Too busy I guess. Appointment only.

I know I still need the photo and form filled out.

I asked at a couple of gun ranges. But, never got a 100% for sure answer.

I may still take the class. But, if not needed would like to just get the license for now. I did read the State Law Manual on the Ohio website. Also, been going to the range regular over the last year.

Thanks for any help,

Ken

The below is from the Ohi.gov Items needed for Application. Just says DD214.

CCW Law.png

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thinking about getting a CCW license, so--

Hope someone can clear something up for me.

I am Retired military. 24 year Air Force.

I want to know if I only need to bring my DD214 to Sheriff's Office to get my CCW Liscense.

On the Ohio.gov website it seems to have to different statements in two different places. One states the DD214 with no other stipulations will work. The other area says a DD214 saying you have had equal or better firearm training than State Law requires. Not sure a DD214 says that. It states "AF Training Ribbon" (Basic Training). We all had firearms training in Basic Training.

You can't call the Green County Sheriff Office directly on CCW right now. Too busy I guess. Appointment only.

I know I still need the photo and form filled out.

I asked at a couple of gun ranges. But, never got a 100% for sure answer.

I may still take the class. But, if not needed would like to just get the license for now. I did read the State Law Manual on the Ohio website. Also, been going to the range regular over the last year.

Thanks for any help,

Ken

The below is from the Ohi.gov Items needed for Application. Just says DD214.

View attachment 18042
When my son went for his he had to take his dd214 and his firearms qualification card. He had no problem. That was in Tuscarwas co.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks sixgunner357

I wish there wasn't two contradicting statements in the same Manual.

I would like to just get the License for now.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Finally got thru to the Sheriff's Office and was told I just needed the DD214.

We will see if that works---(y)

·
Registered
77 Posts
OK, keep in mind, a CCW is the same as registering your firearms and let's the State know that you are a gun owner. IN Florida we have to submit a photo and fingerprints (like when you're arrested.) Please consider joining GOA and try to get your state to pass Constitutional Carry ( the 2A is the only thing I need). "Permit" is the root word of permission, so...

BTW, my dad (and his siblings) were born and raised in Hamilton . I went to and graduated Fairfield Grammar, Junior and HS in Fairfield, Ohio.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks CCHGN

I am up in Dayton

Go to Sheriff’s Office on the 13th to apply.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Rick

That’s what they told me too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
OK, keep in mind, a CCW is the same as registering your firearms and let's the State know that you are a gun owner. IN Florida we have to submit a photo and fingerprints (like when you're arrested.) Please consider joining GOA and try to get your state to pass Constitutional Carry ( the 2A is the only thing I need). "Permit" is the root word of permission, so...

BTW, my dad (and his siblings) were born and raised in Hamilton . I went to and graduated Fairfield Grammar, Junior and HS in Fairfield, Ohio.
Government knows anyway when you filled out your 4473 form upon purchase. Folks think they dump these when a dealer goes out of business but if you are a FFL holder you have to turn them all in when you close shop.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts