MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am applying for my Nevada and Utah CCW. I was reading the Florida laws since I travel there a lot and it said that if you are not a resident of that state, Florida does not recognize non-resident licenses. I am not a resident of Nevada or Utah so does that mean my licenses are only acceptable in those two states? Or is it only a few states that do that? I need clarification (I do understand that all information is not legal).

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
your best best are to call those states that you are traveling through to confirm all laws before embarking, and get printed evidence of above laws.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Forum rules will not allow me to post the link directly because I'm a new member to this forum. However, if you got to PackingdotOrg, you can find everything you need to know about CCW. You can use the license tools at the top of the page to put in your state of residence. It will show a map with all states that honor your license (reciprocity).

·
Registered
46 Posts
I would just get a CCW for your state of residence. Most likely, it will be honored in a majority of states. If there is a particular state that you need to carry concealed that does not honor your states license, they are probably not going to issue you a nonres license anyway. Many states allow a loaded firearm in your vehicle (but NOT concealed on your person) without a CCW as your vehicle is considered an extension of your home- Florida is an example. If you are merely traveling, this may suffice. All of this info is on packing(.)org along with POC's for each state. I always use their site when traveling about the country. Read it thoroughly and then follow up with a phone call to clarify any remaining questions you may have would be my advice. Have a good trip and stay safe.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been in that website but I realized that a lot of states have not been update for awhile so I went into the state's ccw division and found some information. I'll just have to continue doing research and calling the state.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Go to handgunlaw(Dot)us

This information is not guaranteed to be

100% accurate, but will give you the info

I think your looking for.

·
Registered
46 Posts
You are on the right track. Like everyone has said, the term you need to be intimately familiar with is "verification". A lot is at stake and you don't want to find yourself on the wrong side of the law.

·
Registered
573 Posts
There are some helpful websites listed on the "CCW Law Sites" in a Sticky at the top of the CCW page. It is still advisable to call the State in question, rather than depend on info found in a website.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I guess I'll have to do the research in advance before I travel. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
52 Posts
You may find that not all states that have reciprosity will recognise a "non-resident" permit.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Reciprocity means that my Michigan permit is recognised in 32 states including my home state.

Without reciprocity, that number would be 1.

This allows me to choose which states will get my vacation dollars, and which will not.

Some states place a higher value on their criminal industry than they do their tourist industry. My values are different, so these are the states I choose not to spend my money in.

I don't even pass through them, I go around. It's a more pleasant journey.

·
Registered
490 Posts
i understand that but why give a permit to out of state residents when you don't honor it? That is what seems obsurd (sp?) to me. I'm surprised to read that after looking into getting my CCW for Flordia and Utah in my home state of NV.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Fla. will certainly recognise a nonresident permit they issue. As will many other states.

I believe you will find that some states however, that would recognise say, the Fla. issued permit of a Fla. resident, (for example), may not recognise the Fla. issued "nonresident" permit.

Before I travel I always go online to the areas in which I intend to travel and check for their laws, and idosyncrasies concerning such. Laws that may have changed since my last check of them.

Ohio comes imeadiatly to mind as having some very strange rules. Such as no cary in any gov. owned building, such as a hiway rest area, (but we all know those are safe any way). When in a motor vehicle you wepon must be holstered, on your person, but visible from the outside of the vehicle. Each little town has it's own laws concerning carry. Some of these I think just changed in the last election cycle, but I'm not sure as I have not checked them yet.

Point being I guess, before you spend the time and money for finger prints, permit, etc. make an official check to see if this particular permit will fill your exact needs.

·
Registered
490 Posts
AH. I read this wrong. I though it was about going to a state with a non-res permit for that same state. Ohio sounds a little stupid to me. If you can see it from outside the car its not concealed. Also, carrying into rest areas....again if its concealed how are they going to know? I'm pretty sure more then one person has found out the hard way. What is the BEST site to look at for information. I know packing.org is outdated but if I was to travel to Arizona where could I go to find out about transporting my gun?

·
Registered
141 Posts
comet66 said:
I believe you will find that some states however, that would recognise say, the Fla. issued permit of a Fla. resident, (for example), may not recognise the Fla. issued "nonresident" permit.

comet66,

Not trying to start a flame war here, but do you know what state and/or states

do this? I don't recall ever hearing of such.

Most states will recognize other states that recognize their state (reciprocity).

Also has to do with training standards or at least that is the reasoning for it.

For instance if my state recognizes your state's training standards.

My state will have reciprocity with yours.

I live in the wonderful state of IA, the land of the liberals.

Several states recognize IA, but IA does not have reciprocity with any other state. :roll:

Just waiting to retire, so I can move to a more gun friendly state. :wink:

IAShooter

·
Registered
141 Posts
tstrenuous10 said:
What is the BEST site to look at for information. I know packing.org is outdated but if I was to travel to Arizona where could I go to find out about transporting my gun?

www.handgunlaw.us

Or follow the links to the state's government website and search away.

You could call a law enforcement agency in that state, but from what I've found, they

know less about CCW laws than us CCW holders do.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts