MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HIALEAH GARDENS (CBS4) ― Four robbers get more than they bargain for when they target an elderly Hialeah Gardens man. Police said he shot and killed one of them while he was being attacked.

Police said 74-year-old, Jorge Leonton was not aware he was being followed from the bank to his home along Northwest 91st Avenue and 119th Street.

"I feel horrible, my body is still shaking," said Margarita Leonton, who is still shaken up on Saturday, after police said 4 armed men attacked her husband. "I never thought that this could happen especially at 10:30 in the morning."

Jorge Leonton was questioned by police after they said he drove to a nearby bank, withdrew cash, and began driving back home. On Saturday night he is back at home with his wife.

Little did he know, four men were following from behind, when he arrived home, and got out of his car police said one of the thugs put him in a chokehold position and demanded money he had just withdrawn from the ATM.

"He came to me with such great force, he was so violent and started to choke me," said Jorge Leonton. He said he told the robber to let go, Leonton has a conceal weapon permit.

"I took out my gun and told him, let me go or I'm going to shoot you, because I have a heart condition," said Leonton. "I can't breath, you can't grab me by the neck, because I'll die, I told him that 3 times."

The alleged robber refused to let go and Leonton shot him in a torso. "My vision became blurry and that's when I shot him," said Leonton.

The other three crooks drove away. Jorge told CBS4's Shomari Stone he didn't want to shoot him, but he had to because his life was in jeopardy. "It's bad I didn't want to shoot a human being, he is a human being regardless."

Paramedics lifted the wounded suspect to Ryder Trauma Center where he later died.

Margarita said her husband's gun saved his life. "If he wouldn't been armed, I think he would have been killed," she said.

They are searching for the other 3 suspects who got away.

If you have any information please call Miami-Dade Crimestoppers at (305) 471-TIPS. If your tips leads to an arrest you can receive up to $1,000.

·
Registered
937 Posts
He waited until after he told the guy three times??!! If someone is choking you, they mean you serious or possibly fatal bodily harm, and so you defend your life. Or to put it another way "If you're going to shoot, shoot. Don't talk."

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Right on, old dude...

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I am glad it turned out as it did but agree with FieroCDSP. Once they touch you let them have it, prefferably before.

:twisted:

·
Registered
380 Posts
TOF said:
I am glad it turned out as it did but agree with FieroCDSP. Once they touch you let them have it, prefferably before.

:twisted:

right on, TOF... preferrably BEFORE.

that's the problem though. people feel secure in having their CCW... but a CCW is only half the battle.

awerness, being alert... never dropping your gaurd. these are the second half.

this gentleman wasnt aware that he was being followed, and he wasnt aware of anything until he already had an arm around his neck. his wife "couldnt believe" this could happen in their area at 10:30 a.m.

always be aware of vehicles and people around you... always watch your back. it dosent matter what area you're in or what time it is. BG's dont care about these things... BG's dont clock in and out of their "job".

I'm glad this guy shot the BG, and that he survived the ordeal... but he could have been very easily killed. He wasnt watching his back, and he gave too many warnings.

but, since everything is ok... CHALK UP ANOTHER POINT FOR THE GOOD GUY!

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
You now days have to have that warrior mind set. Like f-bomb said you are not secure just because you are carring a gun, you have to be aware at all times of where you are and whos around you. Hoo-rah for the old guy.

·
Registered
67 Posts
FieroCDSP said:
He waited until after he told the guy three times??!! If someone is choking you, they mean you serious or possibly fatal bodily harm, and so you defend your life. Or to put it another way "If you're going to shoot, shoot. Don't talk."

He may very well have shot the attacker right away. These days, you don't just have to defend yourself from the thug during the attack, you have to defend yourself from the media and overly zealous and/or liberal prosecutors after the attack.

Who knows if he actually asked the man, politely, to stop killing him three times? But I bet his wife swears he said it, and dead men tell no tales.

·
Registered
99 Posts
M47_Dragon said:
[quote name='News Story']

They are searching for the other 3 suspects who got away.

Look for three guys with poop in their drawers.

Nice going, old man![/quote]

OMG that is too funny!

Joe

M&P 40

Mossberg 500 Watchdog

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I can't believe it took 4 thugs to rob an 74 year old man, talk about punks. Then they didn't get crap but a pour out alittle liquor time tonight. THUG LIFE BABY, ROBBING OLD FOLKS SINCE 07, freaking idiots.

·
Registered
293 Posts
We must also consider the CCW carrier to be cognizant of how to best protect himself after the fact.

Although he would have been justified in shooting the man approaching him, fearing his life in danger, his report of the incident carried all the necessary "dotted I's and crossed T's" to indicate justifiable use of lethal force to protect his life.

He indeed proved that his life was in danger and reinforced this by saying it was and repeating the statement several times.

Whether or not it happened this way doesn't really come into play as the only two witnesses available are the man and his wife.

Another potential argument for good shot placement. Not much to contradict how it went down if the agressor isn't alive to be a witness and his buddies won't come forward as they would be accomplices to the attack.

·
Registered
154 Posts
well that answers that...

the fact that he was able to draw and fire WHILE in a choke hold answers a debate I've been having for a while...

Q: Should you carry with one in the chamber or assume that, if you have time to draw, you'll also have time to rack the slide?

A: I'm guessing he didn't have full motion of both hands - or even if he did - he probably had other pressing needs to worry about other then taking the time to chamber a round. I bet he's glad today that his firearm was cocked and ready when he needed it.

I believe I will start carrying that way from now on.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts