MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Living near O-Town, I thought I'd ask how many forum members call the Sunshine State home, and more specifically, visit the Central Florida ranges.

We don't have many choices here, and I was hoping to get some insight as to where folks in these parts make the most of their practice rounds.

I'm also hopeful of finding a kind soul or two that wouldn't mind taking a little time to show a handgun newbie the ropes when it comes to proper handling, range etiquette, aiming and trigger pull technique, field stripping and cleaning, etc.

I know, I know ... ask the local range, which I did. The only classes they offer here are CCW. There's no intro to handguns, proper shooting technique and safety classes available, and private one-on-one instructor rates are $50 - $80 /hour.

I'm sure it's worth the cost, however, I'm a meager-budget student, and the cost of the M&P, ammo, and supplies (hey, I'll get the bag for free, right?) will leave a deep hole in my pocket to start.

Please let me know, and if there's a good paperback that's recommended reading, I'm certainly interested in that as well.

Best Regards,

Cet.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Hey,

I live in Melbourne on the East Coast. Look into doing some IDPA matches at Central Florida Rifle and Pistol Club. We have some over here as well if your willing to drive at the Titusville RPC and the Port Malabar RPC.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I live about two hours south of Tampa. I'm just as new as you are when it comes to handguns (don't even have one yet).

I started teaching myself by reading the following:

The Gun Digest Book of Combat Handgunnery [Paperback]

By: Massad F. Ayoob, Chuck Taylor

In the Gravest Extreme Role of the Firearm in Personal Protection [Paperback]

By: Massad F. Ayoob

The Concealed Handgun Manual: How to Choose, Carry, and Shoot a Gun in Self Defense (Concealed Handgun Manual: How to Choose, Carry, & Shoot a Gun in [Paperback]

By: Chris Bird, Ted Bonnet

Surgical Speed Shooting: How To Achieve High-Speed Marksmanship In A Gunfight [Paperback]

By: Andy Stanford

Fight At Night: Tools, Techniques, Tactics, And Training For Combat In Low Light And Darkness [Paperback]

By: Andy Stanford

Florida Firearms Law, Use & Ownership 2006 by Esq. Jon H. Gutmacher (Paperback)

I highly recommend all of these.

·
Registered
26 Posts
CET, Im in Tampa, but as others have stated I too am fairly new to this sport / lifestyle. Although I do have a great support system of friends and relatives in the area who are bringing me up to speed. After I'm a little more schooled I'll be happy to meet up and share knowledge.

Im sure like me your loving the M&P.. What caliber did you decide on?

·
Registered
33 Posts
living in lakeland i m getting the full size 40 for christmas from my wife already order the part i need to get rid of the mag safety .a good book is (Tactical pistol shooting) by erik lawrence

1 - 6 of 6 Posts