MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure why S&W puts these small weapons in such a large case, but I like it! I am going to re-configure mine to hold 2 guns. I can now carry the M&P and my beloved old 1991 West German Sig P228 9mm. I am trying to figure out the best way to cut the foam rubber, but you get the general idea.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Nice, you might want to move it to the Gallery...

·
Registered
312 Posts
Best ways that I've seen to carve foam:

● Use an electrical hotknife, you can rig up your own quite inexpenssively

● Use an electric carving knife leftover from Thanksgiving turkey duty

...And one I've only heard of, never tried - Soak the foam in water and freeze, then carve. Supposedly it firms up the foam and makes it easier to get straight lines.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fallschirmjäger said:
Best ways that I've seen to carve foam:

● Use an electrical hotknife, you can rig up your own quite inexpenssively

● Use an electric carving knife leftover from Thanksgiving turkey duty

...And one I've only heard of, never tried - Soak the foam in water and freeze, then carve. Supposedly it firms up the foam and makes it easier to get straight lines.

Thanks bro'. I think I've decided to go with the hot knife. I can get one at the local hobby shop pretty cheap.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
PPCmaster said:
Love the sig; but you need to get a hogue grip put on her for sure!!!!

HA! Can't believe you said that. I just took the Hogue grip off for the first time in 14 years. Thought I would try without the grip for a while. It will probably go back on soon.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Captain Mark,

where did you get the foam I like and plan on stealing your idea (unless a petent-pending :wink:)

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
choochboost said:
I might be wrong but I think that's the foam insert that came with the case, just flipped over.

I think he's right...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
choochboost said:
I might be wrong but I think that's the foam insert that came with the case, just flipped over.

You are correct sir. I used the existing foam, removed the thin piece of cutout foam on top, and just turned it over. I went to WalMart for more foam, all they had was white. I went to Hobby Lobby, all they had was white and green. I got the green, the same thickness as the gray you see in the pic. the green stuff is on bottom. I will cut the gray and leave it on top as it looks mo' better.

Now that I have done all this research, I have found a source for lots of cool foam.

http://www.foamdistributing.com/index.html

This place has everything. Memory foam for your bed, sound reduction foam for a sound room, or just plain old foam like I want. Next time, or maybe after I figure all this out, I will order a half sheet of the gray stuff.

Now, back to the dilemma of cutting the foam. Tonight I went back to Hobby Lobby and purchased a styrofoam cutter. It is an electric device that gets very hot and should cut the hell out of this stuff. We shall see later on tonight, or tomorrow. I will also start documenting with pics to help you boys out. This has turned into an interesting project.

My wife went out and bought 2 new beds today, so I will be helping her set all that stuff up for now. Hopefully it won;t take too long and I can get started.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
101Combat Vet said:
Captain Mark,

where did you get the foam I like and plan on stealing your idea (unless a petent-pending :wink:)

No patent yet. Please try this yourself. You will probably be able to give me some tips on this procedure by the time you get done. This is all new territory for me. never worked in "foam media" before. 8)

·
Registered
5,062 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
choochboost said:
[quote name='Captain Mark']My wife went out and bought 2 new beds today, so I will be helping her set all that stuff up for now. Hopefully it won;t take too long and I can get started.
Why does her project come before your project?

Just kidding...I'm married...I understand. :wink:[/quote]

Hang on, let me go ask her that!

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Here it is!!!!

Captain Mark said:
[quote name='101Combat Vet']Captain Mark,

No patent yet. Please try this yourself. You will probably be able to give me some tips on this procedure by the time you get done. This is all new territory for me. never worked in "foam media" before. 8)[/quote]

Well first thanks for allowing me
I did it real cheap I penciled around the guns and mags and then used regular razor blade to cut it out real bumpy at first then I used some of my handheld shaving razors to smoothen it out take a look did I do good????

Oops wrong one :wink:

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
nice link

real nice link Josh but that guy has entirely too much money :wink: it looks like he went through my old units arms room with a credit card and a shopping bag
now I need to fix up my case more thanx for more time away from the fam josh_Jason

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Re: Here it is!!!!

101Combat Vet said:
[quote name='Captain Mark'][quote name='101Combat Vet']Captain Mark,

No patent yet. Please try this yourself. You will probably be able to give me some tips on this procedure by the time you get done. This is all new territory for me. never worked in "foam media" before. 8)[/quote]

Well first thanks for allowing me
I did it real cheap I penciled around the guns and mags and then used regular razor blade to cut it out real bumpy at first then I used some of my handheld shaving razors to smoothen it out take a look did I do good????

Oops wrong one :wink:

[/quote]

Very nice job vet...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts