MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is one food I am very ashamed of saying I have never messed with :oops: :oops: I am very interested in the best chili recipe out there. And for the crazy WI people if your recipe calls for noodles please leave that part out :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,535 Posts
LMAO, Cinci chili is awesome brother. Dont get me wrong brother I like my old fashioned batch of spicy chili, but the occasional noodle isnt bad either




As far as a good recipe, mine changes every time I make a batch, thats the fun part of it all, experiment brother!!!!



101Combat Vet said:
This is one food I am very ashamed of saying I have never messed with :oops: :oops: I am very interested in the best chili recipe out there. And for the crazy WI people if your recipe calls for noodles please leave that part out :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,507 Posts
I love chili!

I wish I could give you my recipe but I am like Kris it is different every time base on what I happen to have in the kitchen. The only constant is I chop my own meat usually venison. I use a grinder with the course plate on and only give it one pass. It is a subtle difference but one I like. I don't like it when the meat is in small pieces but I also don't like to use a knife to eat a bowl either.



You all can keep our noodles




As for beans, and the Texas guys will certainly chime in on this I.... I like them (probably because I am cheap and using beans makes a bigger batch for less dough)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
100 Posts
Chili is great I love it! Since I am in college I have resorted to creating the 'easy' way...



1 lb ground round (can sub many different meats, chicken is good too)

1-3 8 oz tomato sause (this is extremely variable depending on how soupy you want it or water works to if in a bind= ghetto college style)

*or 16 oz of whole tomatoes (usually undrained)

1 can of kidney beans (I usually leave this out i dislike alot of beans)

1 pk McCormick HOT chili seasoning (have to get the HOT)



Toppings: Shredded cheese, sour cream, etc (really anything you can think of)





its really easy and a college favorite. also can easily experiment.

pS make sure you get tomato SAUCE not paste (has happened too many times)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
100 Posts
Dan Burwell said:
I love chili!

<SNIP>



As for beans, and the Texas guys will certainly chime in on this I.... I like them (probably because I am cheap and using beans makes a bigger batch for less dough)


Yep, ain't no beans in REAL chili! :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,726 Posts
chilewhat said:
[quote name='csprick']

Yep, ain't no beans in REAL chili! :wink:


I concur.[/quote]



What? How is that possible...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,535 Posts
I will take chili any way you put it in my bowl, chili, one of the best dishes on the planet. Thank god I got out of phoenix so I can actualy enjoy my chili rather than eating it in 150 degree weather.




Morgan Walker said:
[quote name='chilewhat'][quote name='csprick']

Yep, ain't no beans in REAL chili! :wink:


I concur.[/quote]



What? How is that possible...[/quote]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Josh's world class chili

4lbs of meat...I usually use 2 lbs of ground beef, and then 2 lbs of cubed stew meat less that 1" square (beef or venison) the different textures of the ground and cubed meats add to the quality of the finished product...you can make chili out of anything that had hair on it when it was alive - if it had feathers, scales, or slick skin...then it AIN'T chili fixins.

4 chopped medium onions

1 clove garlic

4 heaping Tbsp of Chili powder

1 chopped green pepper

1 tsp celery seed

1 pinch allspice

1 small can tomato paste

1 large jar of your favorite salsa

4 30oz cans of diced tomatoes

2 30oz cans of stewed tomatoes

2 30oz cans of tomatoe sauce

1 partial jar of jalepeno slices
(to taste...I find that between one and two slices per quart of chili works out about right...this receipe usually yields about 15 qts...ymmv)

A few small cans of chili beans and kidney beans (I'd skip these for myself, but my wife likes them in, and they don't hurt anything...I just don't think that they add anything except gas)

A bit of brown suger

Salt to taste.

Water as needed.




Brown the meat, onions and garlic in a special chili pot. If you don't have a chili pot...buy one. In case you are stupid, a chili pot is always cast iron.



Add the other stuff.



Simmer for about 4 hours and add water as needed to keep it chili-like. Salt it until it tastes real good. Best results will be found by cooling the pot overnight, and reheating the next day.



Enjoy! - Josh M.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,535 Posts
Re: Josh's world class chili

I might just have to try this recipe. Next sun, chili it is, nothing better than a good batch of chili for game day!!!! Might add a couple things, whatever I can reach for that is....lmao



Nice recipe brother!







Josh M. said:
4lbs of meat...I usually use 2 lbs of ground beef, and then 2 lbs of cubed stew meat less that 1" square (beef or venison) the different textures of the ground and cubed meats add to the quality of the finished product...you can make chili out of anything that had hair on it when it was alive - if it had feathers, scales, or slick skin...then it AIN'T chili fixins.

4 chopped medium onions

1 clove garlic

4 heaping Tbsp of Chili powder

1 chopped green pepper

1 tsp celery seed

1 pinch allspice

1 small can tomato paste

1 large jar of your favorite salsa

4 30oz cans of diced tomatoes

2 30oz cans of stewed tomatoes

2 30oz cans of tomatoe sauce

1 partial jar of jalepeno slices
(to taste...I find that between one and two slices per quart of chili works out about right...this receipe usually yields about 15 qts...ymmv)

A few small cans of chili beans and kidney beans (I'd skip these for myself, but my wife likes them in, and they don't hurt anything...I just don't think that they add anything except gas)

A bit of brown suger

Salt to taste.

Water as needed.




Brown the meat, onions and garlic in a special chili pot. If you don't have a chili pot...buy one. In case you are stupid, a chili pot is always cast iron.



Add the other stuff.



Simmer for about 4 hours and add water as needed to keep it chili-like. Salt it until it tastes real good. Best results will be found by cooling the pot overnight, and reheating the next day.



Enjoy! - Josh M.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Josh your recipe I think wins the cake brother are you able to feed the entire H.S. football team with that????? How many does that feed friend???? thanks for your input you guys gave me some great platforms... I will let you know my final results
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
If you follow the recipe it should feed two people comfortably for about a week.



YMMV - JM.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Josh M. said:
If you follow the recipe it should feed two people comfortably for about a week.



YMMV - JM.


good to know with the *"spicy"* ingridients it wouold last me a month..



*refers to food that my better half says is too hot i.e jalapenos, and massive chili powder and salsa
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
While it does tend to have a little heat...it is usually enjoyed by all.



The chilli powder is well dispersed amoung the 15 or so quarts, and the jalapenos are being cooked and boiled in the pot for about 4 hours removes more half of their heat, but none of their awsome flavior.



Other things that you can do if your wife is paticularly sensitive to heat...use mild salsa, and trim out the middle of the jalapenos (the area with the seeds) so that you are just using jalapeno 'rings'...also there's chili powder, and there's HOT chili powder...either will get the flavor you are looking for...you just have to decide on a the heat range that everybody can enjoy.



PS - the brown suger is there to kill the acidic taste that some canned tomatoes have I usually use about 2 Tbsp, but as usual, YMMV



Like many here have implied, great chili is an art, not a science...the quality of you ingredients shows in the quality of you chili...some peppers are hotter, some onions are stronger...you may have to fly by the seat of your pants a bit, but if you get the stuff on my list, you'll have everything that you need...oh and you will like it the day it is made, but you won't believe how much better blended the flaviors are when reheated the next day. - Josh M.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I am very excited to try it thanks a bundle josh..I will update how things turn out
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
BTW Beans are a MUST for a real bowl of chili It helps you remember the next day how good it was with some real great chili farts
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,726 Posts
101Combat Vet said:
BTW Beans are a MUST for a real bowl of chili It helps you remember the next day how good it was with some real great chili farts


Only you Jason could pull that off...

























































NOT.



 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
with a gap like that I was waiting for a signature morgan picture to be at the bottom.... I missed the bullet on that one :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,555 Posts
My mother's Chili!

This is my late mother's recipe and a favorite of my family.



Nore’s Texas Chili



Ingredients;

2 lbs Good Ground Meat

1 Medium onion Onion (Finely Chopped)

3 or 4 cloves chopped garlic

Salt To Taste

Pepper To Taste

½ Jar Gebhart’s Chili Powder

1 ½ Tsp Ground Cumin

6 Heaping Tbsp. White Flour

1 or 2 Cans Bushes Chili Beans

1 Can Diced Tomatoes

6 – 7 Cups Hot Water





Sauté meat, onions & garlic (ad garlic last) until meat is cooked. Drain excess grease. Add salt & pepper to taste. Stir in water & mixed dry ingredients to a chili consistency. Simmer for a hour or so until flour is throughly cooked.



Should come out creamy and mildly hot.



Serving suggestion; Top each bowl of chili with grated cheese, chopped jalapeno and/or chopped onion (any kind).



Note: Beans are optional. The tomatoes are my addition, my mother didn't believe in tomatoes in chili. Divide water and mix flour to one part of the water to a thin paste before adding to chili to keep the flour from lumping up. Ad chopped jalapeno for more heat if desired.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top