MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, Just wanted to know if there's a big loss of velocity between the fullsize and the compacts? MP40 vs MP40c and MP9 vs MP9c assuming same ammo was used. I have a MP40 and trying to decide if I need a compact version for carry puprose. I carry my MP40 fine but sometimes having a hard time concealing coz of the grip.

Another curiosity is the accuracy... Lets say at 25 yards, how big a factor is the half inch difference between the compact and the fullsize of the same caliber?

If there's already a range report comparing the two... pls post the link. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Of course there is a loss of velocity with a shorter barrel, but not enough to hinder its effectiveness! I have not chrono'd those two guns but I am sure someone has, hopefully they will chime in for you. As far as accuracy goes... it is all in the shooter. If you have good tech. then you will have good results with a compact. Most self defense situations in the real world are at very close ranges, less than 7. At those distance most good pitoleros will point shoot. Hope this helps a little.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
coltman1985 said:
Most self defense situations in the real world are at very close ranges, less than 7. At those distance most good pitoleros will point shoot. Hope this helps a little.

Not where I come from... hehehehe

Thanks for the reply though

Still waiting for the chrono results... anyone

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
coltman1985 said:
Of course there is a loss of velocity with a shorter barrel, but not enough to hinder its effectiveness!
Agreed. Both 9mm and .40 loads are designed for 4" barrels. You're not giving up much in the 3.5" compact barrels, so performance will not significantly suffer (fail to expand or penetrate) from the shorter barrel alone. I don't have the actual chrono numbers for you though.

·
Registered
15 Posts
velocity difference between .40 and .40c

I did some Internet research on this subject, and found that the difference in muzzle velocity was roughly 100 fps per 1/2" barrel length difference. Of course, there will be variations for guns, ammo, and other things. I too hope someone responds with chrono results.

On my last shoot, I was surprised to find that I was more accurate with the .40c than the .40 full size, especially point shooting at 7 yards. Of course, it would take far more shoots to produce statistical relevance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My SS 1911 9mm, and my SVI Double stack 9mm, both have Schuemann AET barrels (5"). My load for IDPA is a 147 grain Precision Delta JRN bullet and 3.33 grains of Titegroup. This load goes over the chrono between 910 and 930 fps out of those barrels.

The exact same load chronos 870 fps out of my full size M&P 9mm. Curiously, it's much more consistant out of the M&P, with a SD about 1/2 what it is out of the 1911s.

Art

·
Registered
197 Posts
Hey all just got the M&P 40 full size to go with my compact going to the range this weekend will have chrono numbers after that session, have been wondering the same thing since I now have both. I will state now that my numbers will be based off my reloads, let me know if this will answer your question.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts