MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I purchased my M&P, my gun hass been cleaned three times. Once before using, as an act of common decency when sending it to Dan fro a trigger job and sights, and last night. The mags haven't been cleaned in closer to 5000 rounds. They got cleaned up as well.

The gun was still running like a top, and probably would have continued on happily for many more thousands of rounds. But man was it a mess in there.

On the positive side, the mags did not have a lot of carbon buildup despite the gobs of carbon buildup in the gun itself. Carbon buildup on the mags is what i find usually starts causing magazine related failures to feed. They also continued to function just fine with all sorts of fine sand, dust, and brass shavings in them. The gun seems pretty well designed to shove excess gunk to someplace it won't get in the way.

On the negative side, loading minor power facto .40 with titegroup and plated bullets seems to cause some of leading. If you ever shot titegroup at lower pressures, you know that you tend to get a scorch mark down one side of your brass. Oddly enough, the groove that lines up with this scorch mark was pretty severely leaded, but only at the end of the barrel. About the last 20-25%.

Might explain why no matter how much I play with crimp and OAL, I can't make a major power factor round using 180gr plated bullets using titegroup that groups better than about a random 10 inch spread at 30 yards.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Wuss! You damn well know you are not supposed to clean it until the RO says "If clear hammer down, holster, for the love of Pete please please put that horid thing away before we all die of shock at the sight of it"

I cleaned mine a bit more often mostly because I've been playing with the trigger and I'd like to see the parts I'm working with. Without that, about 1500 is the number for me.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Speaking of cleaning?

Is it possible to clean your bun too much? I usually try to field strip mine and clean it every time I shoot it, doesn't take that long and just makes me feel better. I'm just wondering if this could do more harm than good?

·
Registered
937 Posts
I clean mine every 2-400 or so. Or whenever I get bored. I stripped the frame down the other night and gave the thing a bath in the sink, pulling all the crud out of it and wiping down and lubing the works with Weapon Shield as I put them back in. I just feel better with a clean gun.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I find that I have to clean and reoil often due to everyday carry. Stupid deoderant particles, dust, I need some better oil also. Stuff dries out really quick.

·
Registered
140 Posts
As a former Marine, I feel guilty if I don't clean after every trip to the range. It is as natural as having to urinate first thing in the morning.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
M47_Dragon said:
As a former Marine, I feel guilty if I don't clean after every trip to the range. It is as natural as having to urinate first thing in the morning.

Its not just a marine thing I clean it the night after my range trip and if I dont go for anything over a month I will clean it then too...

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Re: Speaking of cleaning?

Omikron said:
Is it possible to clean your bun too much? I usually try to field strip mine and clean it every time I shoot it, doesn't take that long and just makes me feel better. I'm just wondering if this could do more harm than good?

How often should one clean is "BUN?"

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Re: Speaking of cleaning?

coltman1985 said:
How often should one clean is "BUN?"
Every time you eat beans doesnt that do it for you????

·
Registered
405 Posts
mad212 said:
I find that I have to clean and reoil often due to everyday carry. Stupid deoderant particles, dust, I need some better oil also. Stuff dries out really quick.

Did you send in for a free sample of weapon shield?

·
Registered
84 Posts
yur_maker said:
Can You Please List the Serial # So I Know What Used Gun Not To Buy.

Oh don't worry about it. I know Raz-0 and he will most likely wear out the gun. USPSA shooters are one of the few groups of people who actually do wear out their guns. And he likes his M&P.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yur_maker said:
Can You Please List the Serial # So I Know What Used Gun Not To Buy.

So you want a gun that has had harsh modern solvents, that will eat through copper buildup without scrubbing, shoved down the bore every 150-200 rounds?

I'm at 6000+ rounds with the gun, and I have had exactly two malfunctions. One round of remington green box that didn't want to go off, and one failure to extract my first match after cleaning it.

I find guns to be most reliable once they are dirty, but not so dirty they start to have problems. Usually takes about 25-30 rounds to dirty them up proper. Which is why I have no patience for anything that needs cleaning less than every 1000 rounds or so.

·
Registered
434 Posts
nothing touches my bore

cleanliness is godliness...but nothing toches my bore nor my BUN!!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
raz-0 said:
[quote name='yur_maker']Can You Please List the Serial # So I Know What Used Gun Not To Buy.

So you want a gun that has had harsh modern solvents, that will eat through copper buildup without scrubbing, shoved down the bore every 150-200 rounds?

I'm at 6000+ rounds with the gun, and I have had exactly two malfunctions. One round of remington green box that didn't want to go off, and one failure to extract my first match after cleaning it.

I find guns to be most reliable once they are dirty, but not so dirty they start to have problems. Usually takes about 25-30 rounds to dirty them up proper. Which is why I have no patience for anything that needs cleaning less than every 1000 rounds or so.[/quote]

Really is there any evidence to suggest that frequent cleanings hamper the proper functioning of a firearm? If so I would really like to read the research and conclusions. I'm sure my car would run just fine for 20-30 thousand miles without an oil change, probably without any major engine damage but that doesn't mean I still don't follow the manufactures suggestions on when to change the oil.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
There ya go. +1. If I didn't I am sure one of my DI's from 1977 would track me down and have me doing bends and thrusts.

M47_Dragon said:

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
What harsh modern solvents? Most modern solvents are distinguished by not being harsh on either your weapon or the person using them. MP Pro 7 for example. It's a lot less harsh than leaving carbon acids on your weapon. It also allows for frequent inspection of parts. Cleaning and lubricating your pistol is a good thing.

raz-0 said:
[quote name='yur_maker']Can You Please List the Serial # So I Know What Used Gun Not To Buy.

I find guns to be most reliable once they are dirty, but not so dirty they start to have problems. Usually takes about 25-30 rounds to dirty them up proper. Which is why I have no patience for anything that needs cleaning less than every 1000 rounds or so.[/quote]

1 - 20 of 27 Posts