MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im using Hopps to clean the gun and Miltec to oil it. What do people use here? Because the polymer guns can get eaten up by some solvents I want to make sure the solvents/cleaners are safe.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Remoil is one I was recommended to use. However a few military buds told me miltec is great because it actually penatrates the metal.

I have a boresnake but typically run it through once after firing the gun while its hot, but thats it.

·
Site Staff
9,617 Posts
I use Hoppes #9 in the bore, just wipe everything else off with a paper towel.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I use Hoppes #9 solvent and #9 oil, no FTF or FTE ever. YukonGloker a member here is doing a test soon with many different lubes.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
It probably matters so little ... but personally I use Shooter's Choice for cleaning the bore and cleaning stuff that won't come off with just a brush, Militec on the barrel and rails to keep the gun running, and once in a while some TW25B grease in the action to keep it smooth.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Weapons Shield !!!!! All the way. I use it on my duty/SWAT weapons and match guns and the run great, no matter how hot we get' em.

·
Registered
405 Posts
ToddG said:
It probably matters so little ... but personally I use Shooter's Choice for cleaning the bore and cleaning stuff that won't come off with just a brush,

George @ Steelshield highly recommends using Shooters Choice Bore cleaner if you have exactly what you stated, or more so are in a hurry to get the copper build up out of your barrel because it's one of the least corrosive bore cleaners. (He should know he worked for them and invented FP-10) Weapon Shield will remove the build up but you have to leave it in for awhile or overnight to allow it to work under and lift.

However he said if you put it on before you shoot it the ABF Barrier Technology will prevent the build up and you shouldn't have to really use the bore cleaner. :!:

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I seriously doubt Militec "penetrates" stainless steel. According to Militec to "activate" it you have to either warm up your firearm...yeah...or fire enough to reach some magical temperature. It's a decent enough lubricant but not what they try to make it out to be. It's also a lousy protectant. Check the long term exposure test at the bottom of this page;

http://www.6mmbr.com/corrosiontest.html

It's a good lube and the M&P doesn't need much more but lets not get carried away...

http://www.militec1.com/

INITIAL TREATMENT: Applying MILITEC-1 to a firearm for the first time is a two-step process: (1) Application and (2) Firing.

STEP ONE: APPLICATION. Now that the firearm is clean and dry, apply a light film of MILITEC-1 to all surfaces, including the bore. Burnish/polish MILITEC-1 into exterior surfaces by rubbing rapidly using a cloth lightly dampened with MILITEC-1. Sparingly apply drops into the action, concentrating on springs, moving parts and metal-to-metal contact areas. If your firearm has a magazine, be sure to apply MILITEC-1 both inside and out. Leave a very light film of MILITEC-1 on all surfaces during reassembly. Now proceed to Step Two.

STEP TWO: FIRING. Once you fire your weapon enough times to reach operating temperatures, the heat and friction will activate MILITEC-1, strengthening the bonding process that was started in Step One. While firing, MILITEC-1 creates a self-lubricating, water-repelling, dry compound within the gunmetal.

Additional Application Instructions: If Step Two is not immediately possible, consider applying low heat to the firearm to facilitate the bonding process until you can perform Step Two. In field conditions, place your lubed firearm in the sun underneath black plastic or a similar ventilated heat source for at least two hours. Alternatively, you may use a heat gun, hairdryer, burnishing or polishing tool to heat the gunmetal. In heat controlled environments, do not exceed 150° F (65° C). In all applications that require heat to condition the firearm, always insure proper ventilation and wear protective clothing. Please consult our MSDS for additional information.

ULTIMATE PROTECTION: To maximize the effects of MILITEC-1, repeat Step One and Step Two while the firearm is still hot from the first firing session. MILITEC-1's impregnated molecular bond intensifies during the next 2-3 applications on hot gunmetal. MILITEC-1 has now become a physical part of the gunmetal.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Steelshooter,

I had similar opinions about Militec. I used it a long time ago and it was a good lubricant, but lousy protectant and cleaner.

Ive been using FP10 for quite a while and now use Weapon Shield since George designed both and Weapon Shield is newest product.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I use Eezox every now and then as a protectant even though I doubt I need it living in Az. The smell is obnoxious and I spray it on outside so I'll consider going to Weapons Shield when I see more proof that it works as well as everyone says it does. Otherwise its just MP Pro 7 for cleaning and then a high quality gun lube. If I am shooting a high round count in a single session that I will use TW-25B grease. For carry I use oil only.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
K said:
I had similar opinions about Militec. I used it a long time ago and it was a good lubricant, but lousy protectant and cleaner.

I don't believe they advertise it as a cleaner or a protectant.

As for its suitability as a lubricant, I've had outstanding success with it, running guns that some consider "must-be-wet" such as Berettas and SIGs with just a single application in thousands of rounds. For example, I've gone through week-long programs at Blackwater and Rogers without adding any additional lube during the week.

I'm sure there are other lubricants which could achieve the same results, but Militec has proven itself to me for almost a decade so I just haven't had the motivation to change.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts