MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I'm new to pistols. I did add a bit of lube along the surfaces where the Slide runs back and forth. After I shot it a few days ago I took it home and cleaned it right away. So my question what are the proper lubing points on these. I just used a clear lube from a gun cleaning kit that I have had for years. Also, is it recommended or is it good to remove the bolt housing the return spring? I haven't tried to remove the spring yet, but I notice the guide shaft had some powder on it. Do you just use a spray cleaner on the shaft and then a light lube spray or just leave it cleaned. That question goes for the rest of the mechanisms also.

Thanks for the tips and advice.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I don't have time to find it right now, but if you do a search you will find a link with detailed pics. Do you have the owners manual? It does run you through it there too!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I have the manual and I did read thru it. Just wondered if you guys went any further then this? Or what you were using? The manual I believe said to use a Gun Oil. I would think that would be too thin...but anything heavier I would think would collect to much powder.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The manual goes over this process pretty well, field strip it, clean it (however you can to get the gunk off), and oil it. I use breakfree clp to clean and oil. My carry gun gets cleaned once a week.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah this last time I bought a spray can of Remington Gun cleaner and lubricant. I had a tube of Teflon clear grease that I put on the slides the first time, but didn't think I would need that for sure. I only used it prior too, for putting on the slides of my .22 rifle and my shot guns.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I clean my carry gun once every two weeks. I use brake cleaner from walmart (you can tell if its the right stuff because if you spray some on your hands it evaporates almost immediately), then coat all surfaces with Eezox, then use Shooters' Choice (All Weather) Red Slide Grease that comes in a syringe to lube the points mentioned in the manual.

I can't tell you how much easier it is to clean this pistol once I switched over to Brake Cleaner for the actual cleaning. I cleaned it the way most people have suggested, then used the Brake cleaner method after a fresh normal cleaning. I couldn't believe the addition crap that came out of my gun.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Just used Dunk-Kit from CYLINDER&SLIDE for the first time.

Worked really well in removing dirt I didn't know was there.

Especially on and around the extractor claw.

The smell was not horrible, though I used it in my garage anyway.

Drains away and dries quickly.

This is only for cleaning,lube done with CLP and Slide Glide.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Couldn't the brake cleaner be damaging to the plastic??

I use Mobile 1 to clean and oil my guns. I also put a thin layer of Slick 50 grease on the frame rails and the locking lug. Seems to be a good combo for all of my guns.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Are you using Brake Cleaner in the red can or the green can? I have lots if the red can Brake Clean in my garage already.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I clean it up with CLP normally - doesn't matter if it's Break Free or a no-frills variant that I get from the military. Then I lube the major friction points and put a light coating on all metal surfaces, to help prevent corrosion down the line. I only clean it after I shoot, and I lube it up after cleanings. If I haven't fired in a while I will drop some oil on the barrel and slide before commencing.

Pretty simple.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts