MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how to properly 'lube or oil' the magazine parts after cleaning them. I believe I read some info on this somewhere in the Forum but could no longer find it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe I read somewhere that the springs should be oiled somewhat. Can someone confirm this please? Thanks.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I never oil mag springs...just clean them. Oil is a dirt magnet, and dirt will make mags stick and cause malfunctions.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
My question is, what function would oil really do on a spring inside a mag? Only thing I could think of is to keep the spring colder in the presence of heat and rapid use... but how often are you really loading and unloading 1000 rds a second? No oil needed, imo, like the other posts.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
The only reason to oil the mag spring would be to advert rust from forming? Is there another reason? If that is the case the "benefit" is very, very minor. The negative is a jammed mag when you need it most!! DO NOT OIL THE MAG IN ANY WAY!! JMHO

·
Registered
131 Posts
A few years ago when I was a real newb to the gun world, I oiled up my 25rd clips on my SKS. Bad idea. about halfway through the day I started having feed issues. The only thing I can relate it to was the oil collecting grit and dust. I cleaned out all the oil and grit and have never had a problem since. That was the last time I'll ever oil my mags/clips.

My $0.02 . . . . Don't oil.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
A couple of my M&P competition mags received some scratches on the corners from being dropped on concrete. I then shot a match outside with lots of water and mud involved. Everything ran great, but the really deep scratches in the mags developed some surface rust within a couple days. Now I disassemble the mags once in a while. I oil the mag bodies and floorplates. Then I completely wipe off any excess oil. This little bit of preventative maintenance has kept my mags in great shape since. If any dirt is collecting on the mags it is very easy to disassemble and give them a quick wipedown with a clean cloth.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
MTech said:
why not get them duracoated than?

I like them the way they are.

There is not a problem with the mags. I was just purposely not taking care of them to see how far they could go.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I wipe the outside with a lightly oiled rag, mine both came oiled so I figured i'd try to prevent rust.

·
Registered
673 Posts
mad212 said:
I wipe the outside with a lightly oiled rag, mine both came oiled so I figured i'd try to prevent rust.

Sounds like a plan :wink:

·
Registered
215 Posts
The only thing I do to my magazines is unload them when cleaning pistol once a month (taking all pressure of the spring) I have 7 magazines for my M&P .40. I also have a 2nd gen G22 I have 9 15rnd magazines to go with it, and since I have been doing this ritual with my Glock I have no more problems at the range as far slide locking open on the last shot.

·
Registered
373 Posts
If you feel compelled, I would at the very minimum recommend Rem Oil in the aerosol can, it is a very dry oil and mostly evaporates leaving a light Teflon based coating. I only apply Rem Oil to the magazine exterior to prevent rust and have never experienced an issue with this practice.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
mad212 said:

They ship with a protective lubricant on them that you DO NOT want on there when using. That stuff WILL attract dirt and cause failures.

For reliability, you want to completley degrease new M&P magazines.

With the oil/grease/whatever on there, you get them dirty, they will jam up a lot. With them bone dry, they will function just fine with a surprising ammount of dirt in them.

However, the mags are not corrosion resistant, so you ahve to find a happy compromise. For me that means whenever the rust spots get to the point I can feel them when doing a reload (which is a lot less rust than you may think), I break out the CLP and some 000 steel wool. I try to give them at least 24 hours for the oil/carrier to evaporate before use as they are a bit slick, and although not as bad as the factory coating, will still attract too much dirt.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I dissasemble and clean mine then spray ACE Hardware Silicone oil in the tube. shake off excess and let them dry. They do not attract dirt but the follower follows a bit better IMHO. The process also addresses any potential for rust.

:twisted:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts