MP-Pistol Forum banner

Cleaning Magazines

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  bigkracka 
Dakotapix said:
I've read several thoughts here that magazines should be cleaned before using. I now have four 17-rounders for my M&P9 on which I only wiped down the exteriors. No failures at all but I'm doing all my shooting at an indoor range where I'm not dropping them in the dirt. They probably will get dirty at some point. Short of taking them apart, how do you clean magazines. Compressed air is an option for me.

I only clean mine when I drop them at matches, and not all the time!!

Back in 98 I shot the FIPT Match in Titusville, FL, we were knee-deep in mud the first day of the match. I dropped one of my STI mags in a Puddle, it took me 5 minutes just to find the darn thig in the Mud, another 20 minutes to strip, wash & dry it!! I thought that was time well spent.

But you do what you think is right for your gun.

Y

In my case, I nver lubricate, not even with Dry Lube.

I just Brake Clean, that's it!!

But i have heard that Dry Lube is the best.

+1 on Beven!!

He really knows magazines!!

I have one of his STI +1 basepads, he gave it to me waaaay back when!! This was one of the first Baspads he made for the STI!!

Y

K said:
I use the info I have been given by Beven Grams regarding mags and taking care of them. For those that dont know, Beven has probably done more research and and learned more about how a mag works and why and why not than anyone on the planet.

Beven runs a rag with silicone sprayed on it thru his mags and leaves it, he doesnt wipe it out. If a mag hits the ground, he takes it apart and brushes it and then runs a silicone rag thru again, but if he shoots it and it doesnt hit the ground, he doesnt take it apart.

Ive stuck w/ his info for about 10 years and never had an issue. Everything I have runs 100%, providing everything else is in spec.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.