MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased my first pistol, I was very impressed by the M&P series. My question is, how do clean my m&p 40. I know how to disassemble it, I just would like to know what I should use to clean and lubricate with, and what parts I need to clean and lubricate? The pistol came out of the box pretty dry internally. I cycled a bunch of rounds through it by just pulling the slide back to eject the rounds, and a few of them got jammed in between the magazine and the chamber. Like they were getting pinched in the rear of the barrel or somthing. I'm wondering if thats happening because it is so dry internally? Has this happened to anyone else? Please help!!

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Cycling the gun by hand doesn't tell you anything about how the gun will function when it's firing ammunition. Slide velocity will be much higher and the whole gun will be affected by the recoil impulse.

Your manual has the best instructions on proper cleaning and lubrication of the pistol.

·
Registered
937 Posts
On the Fail to feeds, are you riding the slide, as in closing it slowly by giving resistance with your hand, or are you sling-shotting it by pulling back and letting go. This does make a difference. Some ammos hate a slow slide-rack, and some will fail to feed if your thumb rides it at all in normal operation. This is gun-specific, not model specific. Try sling-shotting it (get some snap caps, as practicing with live ammo when not at the range is not conductive to healthy or legal living). Also, since it's new, it could certainly use some break-in time. 200-500 rounds is the generally accepted break in.

The latest lube and cleaner of choice around these parts has been Weapon Shield. Most of us have tried it and love it. Then again, you might want to use the regualr Hoppes #9 solvent and oil for cleaner and lube until the break-in is done. I don't know if it'll break in with Weapon Shield.

My personal regime with a new gun involves detail-stripping the thing and cleaning all of the factory lube off of everything and degreasing it, and then re-lubing. This allows me to learn how the thing goes together (so that I can service it myself if need be), how it functions (A Double Action hammer fired semi atuo is interesting mechanicly), and to make sure everything is protected and lubed to my standards.

Detail stripping the M&P is easy. You can find a copy of Dan Burwell's trigger job notes somewhere on his site, which covers a lot of the detail strip proceedures. Some gun companies don't like it when you do that, but I doubt Smith has any problems with it. For my Stoeger Cougar, I really had no choice but to learn how it works. I'm not shipping that thing at my own expense for service unless the parts simply don't exist.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I use Hopes #9 and Remington Gun oil. I put a few drops on the top of the barrel and along the points where the slide contacts the frame. Sorry my vocabulary is very limited as I have just gotten into guns myself. I read the manuel that shows the particular points on where to put a drop of oil when lubricating after cleaning. I am still to scared to detail strip down to the small parts and would not attempt the self trigger job myself at all. Welcome to the M&P world!!

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I like M-Pro 7 for cleaning the bore. I like to keep the gel in the frig and then coat the bore and let it sit a bit before cleaning it out. My long time favorite gun lube is Break Free CLP. I worked for them about 27 years ago and I've personally been there during the salt spray and lubrication tests. Between trips to the range I like to wipe down my weapons with a silicone impregnated cloth.

On a side note I always recommend to from beginner to veteran shooter that they take at least one full day class. These don't have to cost a fortune. Many can be had for under $150 plus ammo.

http://www.midwayusa.com/ebrowse.exe/brand...ng?brandid=1937

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/...&t=11082005

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/...&t=11082005

·
Registered
13 Posts
Concerning lubing the frame rails, I prefer to place a drop on the slide rails and place the slide on the muzzle so the lube runs down the whole length. This will happen as you do the frame, then pick up the barrel, by then it's done and you don't have to put down the barrel after applying lube, put her right into the slide.

With the cleaning, I always wipe off any excess residue with a dry rag first. This minimizes the effort the cleaner has to work through. I swab the barrel and use the patch to coat the hood, feed ramp and chamber face, let it sit. Then I go over the slide and frame and come back to the barrel so the solvent had a chance to do it's job.

My way anyhow :wink:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts