MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a liquid or aerosol cleaner that I can use to flush the crud out of the receiver of my M&P9 without detail stripping it. Obviously it must not harm the polymer parts. Any brand name suggestions?

Also, I assume the same cleaner will be compatible with a Glock or other polymer pistols. Any restrictions there?

·
Registered
373 Posts
MPro7 and...

I have been using MPro7 for a while and really like it. I am also trying out Mirachem gun cleaner at: http://www.mirachem.com/Gun_Cleaner.htm

It is also plastic safe, and I may wind up liking it as well or better. Time will tell.

As to aerosols to "blast" out internals, several of the gun cleaner companies make plastic safe products. I think I have Shooter's Choice now, but I think even Birchwood Casey makes a plastic safe aerosol. It will say it on the can.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I'm looking for a liquid or aerosol cleaner that I can use to flush the crud out of the receiver of my M&P9 without detail stripping it. Obviously it must not harm the polymer parts. Any brand name suggestions?

Also, I assume the same cleaner will be compatible with a Glock or other polymer pistols. Any restrictions there?
take some good advice from jeff whitehouse cs s&w use breakfree clp4
all others are harsh

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Just make sure that the can of Gun Scrubber says "Synthetic Safe Cleaner".

·
Registered
167 Posts
I as well am M-Pro7 all the way! It's expensive, but worth every penny. The Gun Cleaner and CLP product is all you'll need. The Bore Gel is too thick for all around cleaning (and is identical in composition to the Gun Cleaner) but the stuff truly is odorless and polymer safe.

-B

·
Registered
936 Posts
Im never a hurry to clean guns. I break them apart and douse them in clp overnight.

·
Registered
183 Posts
M-pro7. Cleans well, odorless, and safe with plastics and polymers.

Yep. Awesome stuff. No smell. No peeling off your skin, or asphyxiating your poor innocent dog, while Fido sits there watching you clean your gun. And no damage to your pistol sights, grips, plastic, rubber, etc. But total, fast and thorough cleaning.

Note: this stuff is also sold under the label "Hoppes Elite" which is the same product simply repackaged in the Hoppes line. If you find either "Hoppes Elite" or Mpro7 Gun cleaner on sale for a lot cheaper, just buy the better deal, they're the same.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I should add, for my long guns, whenever there's a copper build-up in the barrel, I supplement the Mpro-7 with some stuff recommended by competition shooters at 6mmBR.com: Sharp Shoot R Wipe Out. This is stuff that will get deposits out (usually for long guns, but also works fine on pistols if needed) without any scrubbing. Just pull some into your bore with a patch, and leave it sit for awhile, then more patches to clean out the residue, and you're done. I use it occasionally on pistols (more often my .22), but rarely need to.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I recently purchased(online, have not seen it at any of local gunshops) Gunzilla, which is a one step cleaner and lubricator. I have used it twice and was pleased with the application and results. I have used Gunscrubber and it does well also, but has quite a bit of harsher chemicals than the natural ingredients of Gunzilla, which has vegetable oil smell. Anyway, here is a link with some testimonals from soldiers in the field in Iraq that were using CLP. http://www.topduckproducts.com/products.as...roduct=Gunzilla

·
Registered
343 Posts
I've always used Ballistol; cleans wells and is safe for polymer.

·
Registered
183 Posts
urabus and zorro, I have used both of the cleaners you mention (Ballistol and Gunzilla), and they are both great! In fact I still have Ballistol and use it for other things. It's incredibly useful for all kinds of stuff, it's essentially a type of mineral oil. Last night, we used it to soften up and waterproof my daughter's new softball glove. But the Germans designed it nearly 100 years ago as a CLP type product for military gun care, and it's still a leading gun care product, they must have done something right.

I've gotten good performance from both these products, and think they're great. Honestly, without any kind of empirical testing to prove it, it has seemed like I've gotten SLIGHTLY better results, especially in cleaning, by going with a combination of Mpro-7 gun cleaner, and CorrosionX as my lube. Using the specialized products and separating the cleaner from the lube has really seemed to improve my gun care. But if I WERE trying to use an all-in-one product, Ballistol or Gunzilla would prob. be it. Both are totally non-toxic and you can work with them without needing gloves or tons of ventilation. The ONLY downer I found with Gunzilla was it's quite a bit more expensive, per ounce, and you can't buy in bulk.

·
Registered
135 Posts
+1 on MPro7 products. I use the gun cleaner and the bore gel for my deep cleanings.

Breakfree CLP and I still have some Militec -1 oil and grease.

·
Registered
343 Posts
urabus and zorro, I have used both of the cleaners you mention (Ballistol and Gunzilla), and they are both great! In fact I still have Ballistol and use it for other things. It's incredibly useful for all kinds of stuff, it's essentially a type of mineral oil. Last night, we used it to soften up and waterproof my daughter's new softball glove. But the Germans designed it nearly 100 years ago as a CLP type product for military gun care, and it's still a leading gun care product, they must have done something right.

I've gotten good performance from both these products, and think they're great. Honestly, without any kind of empirical testing to prove it, it has seemed like I've gotten SLIGHTLY better results, especially in cleaning, by going with a combination of Mpro-7 gun cleaner, and CorrosionX as my lube. Using the specialized products and separating the cleaner from the lube has really seemed to improve my gun care. But if I WERE trying to use an all-in-one product, Ballistol or Gunzilla would prob. be it. Both are totally non-toxic and you can work with them without needing gloves or tons of ventilation. The ONLY downer I found with Gunzilla was it's quite a bit more expensive, per ounce, and you can't buy in bulk.

I'll give the Mpro-7 a try when my Ballistol runs out.

·
Registered
564 Posts
+1 for gunscrubber, it's specifically designed for polymer, not harsh at all. I use it for everything but the slide/barrel, where i stick to good ole' Hoppes #9 (i think i just like the smell).

You have to buy the Synthetic Safe Gun Scrubber. The original is not the same.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts