MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FOM has been using this method on his Stainless Steel Pistols - What do you think?

After shooting - field strip take down - clean with alcohol & Q'tips - Wipe down - Sprays with some kind of can of Teflon Spray Lubricant - Q'tips to wipe excess off - reassembles - wipes down any extra overspray on outside areas & re-holsters for next shoot.

My nephew uses some kind of oil that has Teflon in it but what about the above method?

Comments?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
ArmyCop said:
FOM has been using this method on his Stainless Steel Pistols - What do you think?

After shooting - field strip take down - clean with alcohol & Q'tips - Wipe down - Sprays with some kind of can of Teflon Spray Lubricant - Q'tips to wipe excess off - reassembles - wipes down any extra overspray on outside areas & re-holsters for next shoot.

My nephew uses some kind of oil that has Teflon in it but what about the above method?

Comments?

Sounds very similar to how I do my cleaning... except i'm very up-close and personal with it. I clean and clean and clean until I think i'm down, and then i'll clean a bit more to make sure. A clean and lubed gun is a happy gun.

I also have old battle rifles which I coat with linseed oil about 5 times with a 2-hour break in between each coat.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Teflon is nasty stuff - honestly if you have any I'd suggest disposing of it immediately.

I used to buy this "Tri-Lube" stuff from the local hardware store - it used to contain Teflon as one of the three ingredients until lawsuits against 3M made them wise-up about offering Teflon ... the stuff is an unbelievable lubricant ... and an even better carcinogen.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
lance22 said:
Teflon is nasty stuff - honestly if you have any I'd suggest disposing of it immediately.

I used to buy this "Tri-Lube" stuff from the local hardware store - it used to contain Teflon as one of the three ingredients until lawsuits against 3M made them wise-up about offering Teflon ... the stuff is an unbelievable lubricant ... and an even better carcinogen.

"While PTFE itself is chemically inert and non-toxic, it begins to deteriorate after the temperature of cookware reaches about 460 °F (237 °C), and decompose above 660 °F (350 °C).[citation needed] These degradation products can be lethal to birds, and can cause flu-like symptoms in humans.[citation needed]

The United States Environmental Protection Agency's scientific advisory board found in 2005 that perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA), a chemical compound used to make Teflon, is a "likely carcinogen." This finding was part of a draft report that has yet to be made final.[13] DuPont settled for $300 million in a 2004 lawsuit filed by residents near its manufacturing plant in Ohio and West Virginia based on groundwater pollution from this chemical. Currently this chemical is not regulated by the EPA.

In January 2006, DuPont, the only company that manufactures PFOA in the US, agreed to eliminate releases of the chemical from its manufacturing plants by 2015,[14] but did not commit to completely phasing out its use of the chemical. This agreement is said to apply to not only PTFE used in cookware but also other products such as food packaging, clothing, and carpeting. DuPont also stated that it cannot produce PTFE without the use of the chemical PFOA, although it is looking for a substitute.

PFOA is used only during the manufacture of the product—only a trace amount of PFOA remains after the curing process. DuPont maintains that there should be no measurable amount of PFOA on a finished pan, provided that it has been properly cured."

Want to take that whole carcinogen statement back?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts