MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know S&W says put a drop of oil on that area close to the rear slides. But, does anyone regularly clean the trigger parts in that area. Like maybe spraying some type of cleaner in there. I saw one video where they spray alcohol down in there. Or, maybe compressed air. Most videos just show wiping or brushing that area down.

Or, does it even need cleaned.

Would a better idea for a novice to take it to a gunsmith for a complete tear down and cleaning once a year.

Thanks

·
Registered
264 Posts
I use Hornady OneShot and a little compressed air. If you don't have a compressor, canned air has worked. A good pair of lungs fairs well. I think the less you do a full tear down, the better. You don't want to wear out the pin holes.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks CitizenX. I definitely am not tearing anything apart. Will never get it back together.

Just thought over time it would get dirty down in there and may need an occasional cleaning as opposed to just a drop of oil. I have compressed air. Will look at Hornady.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do use Ballistol on my barrel. Would that be same idea.

Do you still had a drop of oil into the area. For Range shooting, I think I would need more lubricant.

Thanks

·
Registered
69 Posts

Do you still had a drop of oil into the area. For Range shooting, I think I would need more lubricant.

Thanks
Professional German Hunters & Foresters have been using Ballistol for years as their primary "CLR", the 12 years I lived and hunted there, I even saw guys use it as a Antiseptic for small cuts and scratches.

·
Registered
90 Posts

Thanks
It generally is NOT a good idea to mix different brands of lubricant. If it is a GOOD CLP and if you follow the instructions for the product and in your owner's manual, you do not need anything else.

Most owner's manuals specify that too much lube on a gun is BAD, BAD, BAD.

Reactions: Rick M

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the tips.

I don’t know all the correct names for the parts yet. But, talking specifically about the area where S&W says to put just one drop of oil. It is right in front of the rear, right rail. Just don’t know if that needs occasionally cleaned some way without taking it apart.

Since Ballistol lubricates, assume that is not a good idea since you would probably still want the drop of oil there. Maybe just a cleaner like Hoppes Bore Cleaner. Or, just have someone, not me, do a thorough cleaning once a year. To include the firing pin assembly.

Or, as I read, some alcohol spray.

Sorry for the noob questions and if I misunderstood any answers. I am OCD on cleaning things. Lol

4pm I get to shoot it. 👍

·
Registered
90 Posts
Do not use Hopes bore cleaner for anything except cleaning the inside of the barrel!

Ballistol is one brand of "gun oil." There are some gun oils that are just oil and some that have additional ingredients that make them Clean, Lubricate (OIL!!!!) and Protect the metal from rust, etc.

If you shoot regularly it is a good idea to detail strip (take apart) the gun once a year. If you do not know how, yes you should pay someone, or get a friend who is very knowledgeable to do it and teach you how. If you shoot a LOT, like well over 1000 rounds a month regularly, your gun probably needs to be detail stripped and cleaned more often than once a year.

Your owner's manual tells you not to take the gun apart any farther than what they show/tell you. That is called field stripping.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Shooter Granny

Just got back from shooting the 2.0 Compact I bought

Went Perfect——

·
Registered
90 Posts
Thanks Shooter Granny

Just got back from shooting the 2.0 Compact I bought

Went Perfect——
My two friends and I went to the range this afternoon also and both friend "L" and I shot OUR new .22 compacts also. I suppose it is silly to have two of them, but I enjoy that gun so much that I wanted another one "just in case."

My friend has some unlearning and relearning to do since she has been shooting larger calibers and heavier guns, and this light weight no-recoil gem is a new experience for her. I did check both hers and mine for sights being lined up. They could be adjusted a wee, wee tiny bit, but for our range fun practices they are fine. I might lower her back sight a tad bit next time, depending on how her target looks. The rear dots on the rear sight of mine were moved over to the left quite a bit, but evidently they zeroed the gun at the factory because it shoots to the middle just fine - when I do my part.

I hope you have many long years of total enjoyment with that .22 compact!

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks ShooterGranny

Was that a typo on the .22 Compact. I have the 9mm 2.0 Compact 4 inch barrel. Do they make a .22 Compact too?

Guess I still have some fine tuning to do on gun cleaning. Since you don’t recommend Hoppes 9 anywhere but barrel. I don’t use it on outside frame or slide. Just interior. Rail grooves etc. wipe it all off. I prefer to dry wipe and brush everything first. Then a little Hoppes. I use Ballistol on barrel. Inside and out. Maybe there is something better for inside frame and slide. Read people using alcohol.

Learning as I go.

I now shoot to 2.0 Compact and my EZ9. The EZ9 is now having much fewer FTF’s. Maybe one out of 5 mags. A lot better. It is fun to shoot.

I like the 15 round mags on the 2.0 and the newer trigger.

·
Registered
90 Posts
No - I do have two .22 compacts. I do not shoot 9mm anymore because of arthritis and hand damage.

You were using the cleaning things backwards. The Hoppe's is only for the barrel bore.

The Ballistrol is for everything else. AFTER you use the Hoppes and clean it out with dry patches, also put a little Ballistrol on a patch and "clean it" that way and then dry patches.

Re your procedure: I also dry patch clean first, then clean with toothbrushes, then do the final cleaning with the CLP. Hubby things I'm silly taking all those step but my gun get CLEAN!!! You are using Ballistrol CLP which is really good. I use Slip 2000. Both excellent.

The only time I ever use alcohol (90% minimum) is if I'm changing from one brand of cleaning compound to a different one, and then I clean the gun with alcohol on patches to get all the old stuff off and have a clean, stripped dry surface.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I will run my pistol lower under hot water in the sink after a couple thousand rounds or harsh use like on camping trips, wade fishing with it, things like that. Run it under hot water, clean as best I can in areas I can get to with q-tips, clean the mag well too - pressing the mag release repeatedly to help get out any debris like sand that might be collecting in there, then spray it down heavily with Break Free, then a hot water thorough rinse off again. Then a little bit of drying with a blow dryer - not getting it too hot at all - then lay it on floor open side facing the fan - turn fan on medium or high - leave it there for 4 or 5 hours, and bam ! Crystal clean. I believe in a clean lower too.
EDIT: Been doing this for years, an no, I've never ever had any rust happen over it. Rinsing your lower in water is no different than shooting in the rain. It will not hurt the pistol. I use the blow dryer and fan to help dry parts completely and thoroughly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts